LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Finally figured out the "squeek!"

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 02:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Finally figured out the "squeek!"

I had post a thread a while ago about an annoying squeek towards the rear of the motor, seemingly from somewhere in the valve train. Since my valve train components were going on 15 years old I took this time to rebuild/replace some of the components..The squeek still remained after a top end refresh consisting of rebuilding the Comp High Tech stainless rockers, installing new Trick Flow push rods, Comp guide plates, Howards Cams (Morel) lifters, and checking all the valve springs, the noise persisted. It was a weird squeek from 2500-2000 rpm on decelleration...We even dropped the oil pan to check the oil pump drive and replaced the old hardened shaft with a new one. Still the squeek. The stethoscope proved inconclusive and we even thought it could be in the EGR diaphram so we just blocked it all off with UMIs EGR block off plates, which are nice pieces by the way...

Earlier in the day there was an LS F-body on the lift with a similar crazy squeek that we traced back to a blown header gasket. It sounded completely mechanical, but was a header leak at the #2 exhaust port. We had a good laugh and thought, "Wouldn't it be funny if my stupid squeek was a header leak?"

We put my car up on the lift and noticed some carbon on the #7 and #8 exhaust ports from a couple of small leaks. When we started the car and held a rag around the #7 port the squeek vanished! Holy ****! I would've never guessed it to be a header leak in a million years! Anyway, time to research good header gaskets for the Kooks stepped headers...Just thought I'd share my findings. I've been wrenching on cars as a hobby for over 25 years and I totally got bamboozled by this damn thing!! Happy motoring everyone!

--Alan
Old 08-11-2010, 03:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We all seem to overlook the obvious from time to time...I most likely would have done the very same thing as you did prior...Aged componets would have been my guess aswell.....glad you found the gremlin!
Old 08-11-2010, 03:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Better to have found it than still be looking. Maybe your post will save someone else some trouble.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:16 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah, I'm not at all upset with replacing the stuff we replaced. The guide plates had .030" clearance and the new ones brought it back to .010". A couple of the lifters were shot as well as all of the rockers were out of spec according to Comp, and the push rods were just more cheap insurance...Might have found a few extra ponies in all that mess by adding more stability to the aged valve train, too! No regrets...

--Alan
Old 08-11-2010, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by shbox
Better to have found it than still be looking. Maybe your post will save someone else some trouble.
Well stated, first rate knowledge and wisdom are priceless !
Old 08-11-2010, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Alan, what gaskets were you using that leaked? I would recommend the Felpro 1406s, never had a leak in 10 years.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah i run the felpros along with a little right stuff sealant and no leaks either.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Hey Alan, what gaskets were you using that leaked? I would recommend the Felpro 1406s, never had a leak in 10 years.
I'm ashamed to say that I did not do the install job on the headers back in 2005. Was at a shop that I used to use and I was at work when they were installed. I have no idea what gaskets were used. Was going to call Kooks to see what they recommend.I have used the Fel Pro 1406s in other builds with zero issues...If they are still the ones to use then I'll order a set...Still gonna call George at Kooks and ask him too...

--Alan
Old 08-11-2010, 03:56 PM
11 Second Club

Well Kooks does sell a set to fit their headers, but those are what came with the headers and obviously leaked. They said the Fel Pro 1406s would be fine...so there you have it...Whats old is new again...lol!

--Alan
Old 08-11-2010, 04:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL! Good luck!

Quick Reply: Finally figured out the "squeek!"