LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Why are we still holding on to these dinosaurs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010 | 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

For me it's cost and it's what I know. Lsx cars make good power with just boltons but Lt1's are cheaper to build. I Love when my bud with his 04 Mach one talks like he can drop me and my 383. lol I just love letting it build up. for months he talks about all the ls1's he has dropped and I wont race him just yet so I put his *** in the passenger seat and took him for a ride. lmfao as all hell broke loose when I laid into it I hear from the passenger seat "God Damn!!!" as it finally hooked it second gear and quickley wound out to 6k and 80+. lol as I let off the only thing he can say is,"thats the fastest LT1 I have personally seen. They are underdogs and I love laying into it with G35's and 350z's and rice bags wanting to play and then have nothing to do with it. Corvette and Simple LS1 guys don't want to play, but I have not seen as many 5.0 fox bodies trying to catch up either. lol LT1's for life. lol
Old 08-19-2010 | 12:58 PM
Village Troll
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Adam1203
i love it you made a statement that the new mustangs hit the 9's with out lifting a valve cover. I asked you to post a like from a reliable source with specs. then you try and throw it back on me like im doing something wrong and the whole time you still haven't given me what i asked for.

by the way the whole time i never called you a liar or any thing else all i asked for was a link. but obviously you made a statement you can back up with actual proof.
I supplied the shop names of both cars. If you want to call them up then by all means, see what you can dig up. That is all I can offer. Not sure what it is you are looking for as proof. It would read like you want first hand witnessed knowledge? With the way you are going at this it would seem nothing would satisfy your inquiry. Not my problem. Just wait though, I'm sure you'll see more and more at the track cracking all kinds of ***. Then is when I would suggest you start asking questions. Good luck.

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
I can tell you this, if I wanted to. I can take a LT1 car with a stock vette Motor, gut it with a turbo 350 trans, bolt ons and a 250 kit and get DAMN close to the 9's. I know for a FACT I could in a 3rd gen body.
Make it so.

P.S. Make sure to use plenty of This.

Last edited by SS RRR; 08-19-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-19-2010 | 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by meine96ws6
I think this thread goes back to elementary school days... I myself had the basic box of crayons.. I believe it was 8 colors..

Then here comes the kid with his box of 64.. And he asks "why don't you have 64?" well, now I can honestly answer the question...

My 8 does the job just fine... Just because you need 64 to do the same thing.... My LT1 works great... Just like that box of crayons....
Literally, that's probably the best metaphor for this thread i've heard yet! I second this!
Old 08-19-2010 | 02:53 PM
TECH Resident

because of this -

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl...z28/index.html
Old 08-19-2010 | 03:17 PM
Rockstar

This thread was good before SS RRR took a dump all over it. We don't care that a mustang does 9's. We don't care that an LSX is the end all of SBC's. We run what we got, and have a damn good time doing it.
Someone's always gonna be faster, maybe you just can't accept that and feel the need to remind everyone here that their 11 second **** is slow?
Old 08-19-2010 | 03:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by AChotrod
I dont see many stock headed stock short block LS1 guys doing this.
Amazing I cant find any stock Alum LS1 block records that beat Big Ricks 8.08. Or stock short block records that beat Vtecs 9.44
Mostly because an LS1 is old news. Also, there are more head options for LS motors than LT, so why bother using the stockers? Just to say you did? Also, with the ability to use other LS-based blocks and internals, why stick to stock cubes?

Both can make power, both slow stock, and they re both outdated technology or which there is a better alternative. However, each person can choose whichever they want for whatever reasons/restrictions, so who give

I do think the point of this thread is pretty , as are the ones still worshiping the LS1. Plenty of better V8s out there today than these, even outside of GM (finally).

Last edited by WSsick; 08-19-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-19-2010 | 03:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS RRR
It takes far more to get a Honda into the 9's than weight reduction and nitrous. You see what I mean about your empty, blind brand loyal crap replies? One such example, NOS is a brand name. It stands for Nitrous Oxide Systems. Google it if you have to. When you use the term 'nos' for nitrous you do not read very intelligent. I ask again, can you please supply any links/vids/articles/anything regarding a LTx or 5th Gen Camaro achieving 9's with the factory stock engine? Thanks.
I was being sarcastic on the Honda Civic thing, get a life. I also know that NOS is a brand name, I just typed it for short, you Dill-Weed.

Go to the u-toobes, type in "2011 Mustang GT" and you will get a plethora of videos. For stock times, do the same in Google.
It's called YouTube, learn how to spell.

No one expects a LT1 to be fast because of how normal it is to see slow ones at the track.
The same applies to the older Mustangs, but if you run across the wrong one "WATCH OUT" and there are plenty of LT1s to "WATCH OUT" for...

Last edited by NewOrleansLT1; 08-19-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-19-2010 | 04:35 PM
10 Second Club

Old 08-19-2010 | 04:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WSsick
Mostly because an LS1 is old news. Also, there are more head options for LS motors than LT, so why bother using the stockers? Just to say you did? Also, with the ability to use other LS-based blocks and internals, why stick to stock cubes?

Both can make power, both slow stock, and they re both outdated technology or which there is a better alternative. However, each person can choose whichever they want for whatever reasons/restrictions, so who give

I do think the point of this thread is pretty , as are the ones still worshiping the LS1. Plenty of better V8s out there today than these, even outside of GM (finally).
Not true at all!!!! Thousands of Alum block LS1s hit the track every week and they are all trying to go as fast as possible. I see very few LSX cars compaired to LS1 powered cars. Using stock ported heads is the cheapest way to go fast and Im sure more people go that route than aftermarket heads.
Old 08-19-2010 | 04:38 PM
TECH Veteran

You guys crack me up .
Old 08-19-2010 | 04:55 PM
11 Second Club

Ive decided the LT1 is better and stronger with more potential than a LS1 since nobody can find a faster stock alum block LS1 car..........stirs pot............
Old 08-19-2010 | 05:12 PM
12 Second Club

Not true at all!!!! Thousands of Alum block LS1s hit the track every week and they are all trying to go as fast as possible.
Yes, I would agree with this part to a point. They are going as fast as there budget allows. I would be willing to bet a whole lot of people would be going to a bigger cube, non LS1 block setup if they had the cash. I raced Tuesday for my first time trying to go as fast as possible on an LS1 block. But would I if I had more money? Hell no. Why? because there are alot of options out there that don't require big changes to the car, as in less than an LT to LS swap. Go look in the single digit clubs, or even the 10 second club and see how many people are on a non-LS1 block. Sure, there are plenty in there but there are alot (I'd bet more) using a different LS motor.

I see very few LSX cars compaired to LS1 powered cars.
This is iffy. I meant LSx, NOT LSX. Big X = block, little = anything on LS technology. There are more and more cars (at least in my area and what I'm seeing on here) going to bigger cube LS motors, even if it is just a truck 6.0, LS2, or big cube stroker. You can't tell until you ask everyone.

Using stock ported heads is the cheapest way to go fast and Im sure more people go that route than aftermarket heads.
Cheapest? Yes. Best? No. I would say a majority of LS1 guys with head work (be it new heads or worked stock heads) are actually running an aftermarket head. Look around at sigs or the dyno results section if you dont believe me. LT1 guys have less options, and therefore are most likely to stay with the stock castings, and work those.

It would be a good bet that if someone put together a combo along the lines of that 8.08 LT1 with an LS1, it would be doable (I won't say it can for sure since it hasn't been done to my knowledge). At those speeds, as logn as the bottom end is built, you are beginning to race turbos, not engines.
Old 08-19-2010 | 05:54 PM
11 Second Club

Hell if I had money I would just swap in a SBC2 or BBC motor and a th400 and call it a day, which is also easier than doing a LT to LS swap.
99% of guys at the track work with what they got, and can barely afford their car payments let alone a LSx swap. Dont forget this is Chicago and there are a lot of fast LSx cars around here but most still use the factory block and will never make the power necessary to go to a 6.0 block or whatever. There are also a ton of fast LSX cars but like 1 for every 1000 Ls1s. Hell I bet I see 10 Ls1s on the street today and they all have factory original LS1s just like most at the track do.
Old 08-19-2010 | 06:04 PM
Village Troll
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Johnny-LT1-runner
This thread was good before SS RRR took a dump all over it. We don't care that a mustang does 9's. We don't care that an LSX is the end all of SBC's. We run what we got, and have a damn good time doing it.
We who? You the mouthpiece for this thread? The subject of LS1 was mentioned long before I made my first reply. Sorry for not jumping into the circle jerk of ignorant replies regarding LS1 performance. The GT was merely mentioned to show how pointless it is bickering whether or not the LTx is up to par w/ the LSx platform. One word of that and f-body people go ape ****.
That would make a great GT commercial. LSx/LTx f-bodys bitching back and forth fighting for superiority while a GT slowly passes by doing a nice smokey burnout engulfing everyone. It then reads "Inhale some STFU."
Going to work on the patent right now.
Old 08-19-2010 | 06:15 PM
Rockstar

We who? You the mouthpiece for this thread?
No, but you sure act like it, nutriding like a ford fanboy.

You did see the title of the thread right? If you don't like it don't post in it how much you dislike it.
Old 08-19-2010 | 06:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Johnny-LT1-runner
Someone's always gonna be faster, maybe you just can't accept that and feel the need to remind everyone here that their 11 second **** is slow?
You sure? This thread was idiotic from the start, my friend. How lame can someone be to start a thread seeking reasons to keep liking their own rides!
Old 08-19-2010 | 06:37 PM
Rockstar

Originally Posted by chaman
You sure? This thread was idiotic from the start, my friend. How lame can someone be to start a thread seeking reasons to keep liking their own rides!
Not reasons why we should keep them, but why we do keep them.

It's like asking the owner of a classic exotic car, "hey, what made you buy that, what about it makes it appeal to you so much?", as opposed asking, "Why do you still drive that? There's newer technology that is so much better than that outdated piece of ****."
Old 08-19-2010 | 06:41 PM
12 Second Club

You're straying from what I was originally disputing...

99%of guys at the track work with what they got,
Obviously they are working with what they got, if you're racing at the track, you have to race whats in your car. If you mean they run what came stock, that is a big misconception. A friend of a friend has a perfectly stock looking LS1 Z28, down to the snowflake wheels, and runs mid 10s on motor. What motor? An LS2 Why an LS2? Because it provides a better platform than the LS1. This is just one example of what is becoming a common theme going in the LS world.

and can barely afford their car payments let alone a LSx swap.
Really? You know this as fact, or is it your own experience? I'm willing to bet your statement doesn't apply to HALF of the people at your track, assuming the 99% you mentioned applies here as well but it cannot be proven either way until you ask around.

Dont forget this is Chicago and there are a lot of fast LSx cars around here but most still use the factory block and will never make the power necessary to go to a 6.0 block or whatever.
Again, how can you say "most" for sure, do you have proof? VA Speed has take an LS2 block to 1800rwhp, so I'm pretty sure a new block, even an iron block, isn't needed for most every LS racer out there. Do people still do it? Yes, for peace of mind and plenty of other reasons. A lot of people these days are switching to a 6.0 when they blow an LS1, or maybe a bigger cube LS based motor. When going bigger cubes, an overwhelming number of LS1 guys leave the LS1 block behind. LT1 guys stick with their stock block because there is no other option. (I take that back, did the bug cube LT block ever come out? Even if it did, that is 1 option compared to the LS1s 10+ options for blocks) That is why you see LT1 guys going 355, 383, 396 and LS guys going 4xx ci when they upgrade.

Hell I bet I see 10 Ls1s on the street today and they all have factory original LS1s just like most at the track do.
But are they ALL trying to go as fast as possible (meaning as their wallet allows? Doubtful. Some people don't spend every dime they can trying to go fast. And "factory original" (your words), would mean stock internals, which we know that "they all" (your words) are not. Like I said before, I'm willing to bet most guys doing head work on an LS1 are going with an aftermaket or non factory casting.

My original argument with your statement was that you dont see guys doing what that guy did (8.08) with a stock shortblock & stock heads because it's stupid to do that on a platform with MANY BETTER options. LT guys go for that because of the lack of an equal amount of options. It would be a lot easier to run that run with more cubic inches and better flowing heads, THAT YOU CANNOT DISPUTE. That is exactly why people go to the bigger and better LS stuff, because its easier, the same reason a good amount of LT guys are going big cube LS.

Let me put it this way:
-Would it be easier to run that time with (1) 383 or 396 cubic inches or (2) 408, 416, 427, 434, 440, 454 (etc.) cubic inches?
-Would it be easier to do that with (A) stock, heavily worked castings or (B) purpose built heads to flow like a ************ that can still be further worked (like ETP heads)?
-Now put each of those together, option 1 with A and 2 with B; which is easier to run that number?

I think you will find it is 2B. That based in scientific fact, a bunch of sayings fit this: An engine is an air pump, more air in & out = more power. No replacement for displacement. Sure, you can use that big cube LT race block (if its made, Im unsure, so fill me in) but where are the variety of amazing heads for that to make the same type of power with LS stuff? You can make up for this with boost though, as that guy did, but then again, you can do that with any LS motor as well.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the LT1 is worthless. 2 of my friends have LT1s that will and have walked out on me. All I am saying is the LS stuff is a better starting platform, but not the LS1. It is just a notch above an LT1 because of the aftermarket following and it can't be taken out to 4xx cubes like the 6.0L and up LS blocks can because of their bigger bore (or 500+ci like a few have done). All I am saying is that technology makes other things better than others. The LS1 has been based many times now. The good thing about hotrodding is that you can always improve what you have to outperform that new stuff, as is the case with the LS1 & LT1.
Old 08-19-2010 | 07:01 PM
11 Second Club

I didnt read all that yet but the Lt1 has been faster than the LS1 end of story.
Anybody can put anything in their car to make it faster but that doesnt change the fact you switched motors to do it. I spend quite a bit of time at the track and if the majority of 98-02 F-body have swaps done they are doing it wrong judging by their speeds. I pretty much know all the faster LSX guys around so yeah Id say 99% of the guys at the track still run LS1 blocks.
Also Keep in mind I never said a LSx car didnt have more potential and is better out of the factory just the LT1 has gone faster until you prove other wise. Oh and its not just that 8.08 pass either. Lt1s have the stock short block record and the fastest M6 f-body period. Cool huh???
Old 08-19-2010 | 07:15 PM
12 Second Club

You should read it all, might learn something

I didnt read all that yet but the Lt1 has been faster than the LS1 end of story.
Did I dispute that? No, so quit trying to turn it into a dick measuring contest. I respect the LT1, so you are barking up the wrong tree. A mod motor 4.6 block has beat both of those, so who gives a **** about GM motors, right?

Anybody can put anything in their car to make it faster but that doesnt change the fact you switched motors to do it. I spend quite a bit of time at the track and if the majority of 98-02 F-body have swaps done they are doing it wrong judging by their speeds.
I didn't say the majority did the swaps. If you read closely, I said it is becoming more common.

I pretty much know all the faster LSX guys around so yeah Id say 99% of the guys at the track still run LS1 blocks.
Really? Well I guess EVERYONE with a fast car ALWAYS goes to the track. Besides, you didnt specify you were talking about your area only before. I was saying your 99% is definitely wrong for the country as a whole. What about that claim of not being able to afford it? Where did that go?

Also Keep in mind I never said a LSx car didnt have more potential and is better out of the factory just the LT1 has gone faster until you prove other wise. Oh and its not just that 8.08 pass either.
Again, don't get butthurt. I never said the LT1 hasn't gone faster, I've never looked into fastest LS1 times, nor do I care to.

Lt1s have the stock short block record and the fastest M6 f-body period. Cool huh???
Yes, that is cool. But also because the LS guys want to go faster than the stock shortblock will allow Fastest m6 is pretty cool though. Vid of that?

Quick Reply: Why are we still holding on to these dinosaurs?