LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Why are we still holding on to these dinosaurs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010 | 07:18 PM
Village Troll
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Johnny-LT1-runner
No, but you sure act like it, nutriding like a ford fanboy.

You did see the title of the thread right? If you don't like it don't post in it how much you dislike it.
No reason to get all frantic and emotional. It has nothing to do with "nutriding." It has to do with being a fan of performance regardless of make/model. I applaud the fact that Ford finally pulled their heads out of their asses and built an engine that is well on its way to performance domination. I enjoy reading the replies of those who don't like the GT being back in contention with the 5th gen and seems to be gaining ground by leaps and bounds. All one has to do is say this to a bunch of loyalists and KAPLOOOOW!
BTW... if you aren't the mouthpiece then either admit to the multiple personalities or speak for yourself? Just a thought.
Old 08-19-2010 | 07:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS RRR
No reason to get all frantic and emotional. It has nothing to do with "nutriding." It has to do with being a fan of performance regardless of make/model. I applaud the fact that Ford finally pulled their heads out of their asses and built an engine that is well on its way to performance domination. I enjoy reading the replies of those who don't like the GT being back in contention with the 5th gen and seems to be gaining ground by leaps and bounds. All one has to do is say this to a bunch of loyalists and KAPLOOOOW!
I agree with you on liking all sorts of cars too. If it goes fast I want to know about it. The new Mustang 5.0 is NUTS!

I'm curious on what your car runs though. I've never seen you mention what it runs.
Old 08-19-2010 | 07:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WSsick
I think you will find it is 2B. That based in scientific fact, a bunch of sayings fit this: An engine is an air pump, more air in & out = more power. No replacement for displacement. Sure, you can use that big cube LT race block (if its made, Im unsure, so fill me in) but where are the variety of amazing heads for that to make the same type of power with LS stuff? You can make up for this with boost though, as that guy did, but then again, you can do that with any LS motor as well.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the LT1 is worthless. 2 of my friends have LT1s that will and have walked out on me. All I am saying is the LS stuff is a better starting platform, but not the LS1. It is just a notch above an LT1 because of the aftermarket following and it can't be taken out to 4xx cubes like the 6.0L and up LS blocks can because of their bigger bore (or 500+ci like a few have done). All I am saying is that technology makes other things better than others. The LS1 has been based many times now. The good thing about hotrodding is that you can always improve what you have to outperform that new stuff, as is the case with the LS1 & LT1.
I think you are forgetting(or don't realize) that an LT1 can use any SBC race head they want, assuming they are willing to part with a relatively small amount of cash.

What limits the LTX are cubes and willingless to spend money, period. As you can see, only one of those are due to the platform .

BTW, Triple R just likes to stir the pot...even though he does seem more bitter then normal lately.
Old 08-19-2010 | 07:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WSsick
You should read it all, might learn something

Did I dispute that? No, so quit trying to turn it into a dick measuring contest. I respect the LT1, so you are barking up the wrong tree. A mod motor 4.6 block has beat both of those, so who gives a **** about GM motors, right?

I didn't say the majority did the swaps. If you read closely, I said it is becoming more common.

Really? Well I guess EVERYONE with a fast car ALWAYS goes to the track. Besides, you didnt specify you were talking about your area only before. I was saying your 99% is definitely wrong for the country as a whole. What about that claim of not being able to afford it? Where did that go?

Again, don't get butthurt. I never said the LT1 hasn't gone faster, I've never looked into fastest LS1 times, nor do I care to.

Yes, that is cool. But also because the LS guys want to go faster than the stock shortblock will allow Fastest m6 is pretty cool though. Vid of that?
Read it all,
I didnt bring any other engine into this besides LT1 and LS1. Seems you guys cant come up with a faster LS1 and are coming up with excuses on how to beat the dinosaur.
Here ya go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTd6k...feature=search
Old 08-19-2010 | 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Since we've established that the LT1 is faster than the stock block LS1, I guess we can now say that's why we own them. More potential.

As for the 5.0, it's a good engine, and so is the LS3. It's gonna feel pretty good if I blow either of them away with my low buck LT1. If I don't, that's okay because I didn't spend much money anyway.
Old 08-19-2010 | 09:02 PM
11 Second Club

Truthfully the new 5.0 and any boosted 4v scare me. Guess we will have to wait and see what happens.
Old 08-19-2010 | 11:52 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by AChotrod
Read it all,
I didnt bring any other engine into this besides LT1 and LS1. Seems you guys cant come up with a faster LS1 and are coming up with excuses on how to beat the dinosaur.
Here ya go.
http://ww.youtube.com/watch?v=rTd6kB...feature=search
Like I said, I don't really care what the fastest under the circumstances you proposed because I would never do it. I do think that 6 speed record, because of time regardless of motor, is badass.
Old 08-19-2010 | 11:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Puck
I think you are forgetting(or don't realize) that an LT1 can use any SBC race head they want, assuming they are willing to part with a relatively small amount of cash.
That I did not know. Thank you sir.
Old 08-20-2010 | 02:05 AM
11 Second Club

I dunno engines that came in the car are a pretty big deal IMO, just amazes me in 13 yrs a stock block LS1 cant be found. I dont give a damn what the mods are just find 1
Old 08-20-2010 | 06:32 AM
Village Troll
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by joelster
I'm curious on what your car runs though. I've never seen you mention what it runs.
Faster than yours, however not as quick and definitely slower than a properly built heads/cam LS1.
Originally Posted by Speedy
Since we've established that the LT1 is faster than the stock block LS1, I guess we can now say that's why we own them. More potential. .
Well yeah. With the way this thread is going, at the LTx shootout there should be MPH/ET's that make any LSx application shake with pant shitting fear.
I dunno engines that came in the car are a pretty big deal IMO.
It's a big deal to you and others who will thread their way looking for an excuse why you feel the LT1 out performs a LSx. I would suggest taking your fight over to the LS1 crowd? Perhaps some call outs are in order?
Old 08-20-2010 | 07:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Stay on target.

STAY ON TARGET...

Get back to the real information sharing, enough with the petty bitching.
Old 08-20-2010 | 08:36 AM
Village Troll
20 Year Member

Do you mind clarifying what the original target was? All I read from the 1st response on is a comparison between LT1 and LS1.
Old 08-20-2010 | 09:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Most of us still have our LT1’s because it’s what was in our driveway when we started modding and we haven’t seen a reason to change at this point. The LT1 was my first GM car actually and I’d owned Mustang’s until then. It never made sense to me to get rid of my F-body to get another F-body just because it had an LSx an I couldn’t afford a C5 Corvette. My next car will be a Vette, but I’ll still keep my LT1 F-body because I’ve got more in the engine and suspension than the car is worth, so why sell it? It will continue to get modded, and will get progressively faster. It’s much cheaper to go faster in it since it’s already heavily modded and is well past where I’d be with an LSx car. To me the only limiting factor for performance of the LT1 versus LSx in an F-body are the heads and possibly computer. Otherwise it’s 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.
Old 08-20-2010 | 09:39 AM
Launching!

I like being different. Everyone is doing LSX platforms. I choose to go a different route and make a car that no one else would have.

Also I love my front body style better than the newer ones.

As far as being cheaper to build. I am not sure. I feel it is more when you get in the high HP levels. Just my opinion.
Old 08-20-2010 | 10:29 AM
TECH Regular

I bought mine new late in 97, the LS1's had just come out and I knew very little about the new engine. I could have bought either car but I wanted a Z28 and really didn't like the new front end at all so I got the 97. I've been moding it ever since. The LT1 makes plenty of power for me and the car delivers what I'm looking for perfomance and looks wise. I'm 39 now married with 2 kids, I'm not into competing to impress anyone online or in real life to have the latest and greatest engine any more. The only way I'm getting an lsx is when I pick up a nice C5 zo6 one of these days...
Old 08-20-2010 | 11:08 AM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by YSILT1
I like being different. Everyone is doing LSX platforms. I choose to go a different route and make a car that no one else would have.

Also I love my front body style better than the newer ones.

As far as being cheaper to build. I am not sure. I feel it is more when you get in the high HP levels. Just my opinion.
everyone is doing lsx platforms becaus they have already done a ltx platform... Now they are both old and dated. Time for something new and fresh, maybe even pink inside!
Old 08-20-2010 | 11:48 AM
TECH Veteran

If I had my choice, and I might do it when I sell my car at the end of the year, Is a coupe LX with a Maggie LS in it. I bought a Chevy mag and in the front it had a Duttweiller built stock cube iron 6.0 liter, stock C5 Zo6(LS6)cam, stock L92 heads and a Magnuson supercharger on top of it. On pumpgas it made 700 hp, with a shot of methanol it made 750 hp. In a 3000 LX coupe Mustang with a six speed behind would be a TOTAL blast. The article said it idled like a stocker.

But I will always have the love for the car I have now, I was fortunate enough to be able to build my dream car. An all motor , pumpgas, overdrive equipped, 10 second drag radial REAL streetcar. It surpassed the original goal of 10.99 which was the dream for YEARS I had. By the time I got to build it though the 10.99 was not so impressive....everyone has a power adder of SOME sort nowadays....you dont get any credit for doing it all motor anymore. And a streetcar nowadays is ANYTHING that can back out of and right back in the driveway.

But what you guys forget is the LT1 is essentially a small block Chevy with some added advantages, that few use.

The look on peoples faces when I come back down the return road and open the hood for all the ones waiting back in the pits will ALWAYS be priceless to me and be worth ALL the effort and money to get this car where it is. DAMN! Thats an LT1 in that car!!
Old 08-20-2010 | 01:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Why are we still holding on to this thread?
Old 08-20-2010 | 01:08 PM
12 Second Club

I dunno engines that came in the car are a pretty big deal IMO, just amazes me in 13 yrs a stock block LS1 cant be found. I dont give a damn what the mods are just find 1
In your opinion, that might be a big deal, but I could care less (cuz I'd never go for it) so I have not and will not bother wasting time trying to fins such an LS1, if it even exists. I've already told you why it probably doesn't (cuz no one wants to do that since there are easier ways). Everyone else may or may not care, but I don't know, so I won't speak for them.
Old 08-20-2010 | 01:13 PM
TECH Junkie

I beleive all that could be said has.......
We obviously like the Lt1 cause we still have one or two!

Quick Reply: Why are we still holding on to these dinosaurs?