LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Why are we still holding on to these dinosaurs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 07:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zlicious94
I wouldnt trade my LT1 for nothing I have only lost to 2 out of about 6 bolton ls1s I have raced Plus I like getting the comment "Dam that is one clean *** lt1."
Thats Funny.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like getting the comment "Dam that is one clean *** lt1."

Thats always a fun one, underdog is cool I suppose...just haven't got enough people to run around with yet.

Plus, I can't get what I want out of it, so I guess I'll keep it.

I haven't traded mine for an LS1 car (thought I was going to several times) but mines in great shape and has some sentimental value, first car I really bought and picked out on my own (boy, did I make a mistake! LOL) plus low miles.

LS1's in worse shape with twice the miles were still like 2-3k more in my area...

I like the catfish look, I will probably change to it...but keep the LT1, boy can you imagine the fun
Old 08-16-2010, 08:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought mine just for sentimental reasons. I bought a z28 6 speed convertible new off the show room and really regretted selling it, big screw up. It was during my younger days so I kinda wanted to go back to that a little bit, I have an ls1 ss I dailey drive also. Running low elevens with the lt1 im not really to worried about what the ls1 cars run at the track but do recognize the superiority of the design.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

LS1 may have been touched by God, But the devil designed the LT1! I love my lt1 i have owned 5 different lt1 z28's and they all got good responses either that's a clean lt1 or damn your lt1 sounds bad *** and its always better to be the underdog. LT1 FTWW!!!
Old 08-16-2010, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the LS1 had been placed in another platform instead of the F-Body this would be a non-issue.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default My reasons

Originally Posted by big dave
Why are we still holding on to these dinosaurs?
1. It's paid for
2. I like the looks of the front end of the LT1 TAs better
3. It's a hardtop! (Tough to find an LS1 Formula or TA with a 6 speed hardtop - NOT impossible, just tough!)
4. It's my baby - I've had it for 7 years now (and I'm almost done modding it!)
5. I just LOVE changing the spark plugs on MY LT1 TA vs my brother's LS1 GTO - 4 hours vs. 15 minutes - what kind of sense of accomplishment do you get after only 15 minutes of effort? NONE! No forearm burns = No fun!

That's just me...
Old 08-16-2010, 10:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blk/slvr02ss
Thats Funny.
I know right lol! Kinda eliminates all the ls vs lt **** in our group! Oh this is a good one from the catfish owners: "Dude is that some kinda freak lt1"
Old 08-16-2010, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

I love mine because it was my first car that I bought and completely paid off on day one.. And it was the first thing I fell in love with after my 1st trip from Iraq..

And, because she is just as sexy as any new car on the road.. and way better taken care of..

I still take pictures after I spend a whole morning cleaning her.. she still stops me in my tracks when she is sitting in the parking lot.. 3+ years later...
Old 08-16-2010, 12:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll always have my LT1, sentimental value since it was the first car that I ever REALLY wanted that I actually got. Also on the street, everyone assumes its slow and are happy to draw down on it since even with bolt ons its rare to see one making over 300 rwhp. They respond well to mods just like an LS1, but ONLY if the heads are worked. Since most street cars are just bolt ons, people usually give the LS1 all the advantage. I like being an underdog too, just like the rest of the crowd here.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:38 PM
TECH Junkie

I think its so funny when people talk crap about Lt1s. I happen to like my car,if i wanted an Ls1 i would have bought one!

Looking back and thinking of my mods i fortunately did the correct componet selection for just being a "bolt-on" car. These exact mods keep me in a very comfortable range of many cars not just Ls1s i run against. Point is my car satisfies me and thats all that matters!

I like the Ls1 motor i have a few. great power potential across the board easy to mod....As far as the catfish front clip just does not have the appeal unless its an SS or has an aftermarket hood.... owell to each his own i suppose....

So far bolt on for bolt on i have done VERY well against Ls1s
Old 08-16-2010, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by joelster
It takes ZERO brains to go fast in an LS1..
Are you kidding me? Its a SMALL BLOCK CHEVY, just like the gen 1 and gen 2. It should take less brains to go fast in a ltx since there is alot less heads, cam, and displacement options out there to build an engine. Here are your options for ltx: ai 200cc h/c or le2 h/c package on a 350... Thats all everybody swears by on this board. Man takes alot of brains to figure that out! lol just bustin your ***** joelster! Honestly when it comes down to an all out build, both engines are very capable!
Old 08-16-2010, 01:10 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Are you kidding me? Its a SMALL BLOCK CHEVY, just like the gen 1 and gen 2. It should take less brains to go fast in a ltx since there is alot less heads, cam, and displacement options out there to build an engine. Here are your options for ltx: ai 200cc h/c or le2 h/c package on a 350... Thats all everybody swears by on this board. Man takes alot of brains to figure that out! lol just bustin your ***** joelster! Honestly when it comes down to an all out build, both engines are very capable!
It takes just as much effort to make a LSx fast as any other application. LTx owners followed the same pattern as LSx people are now. One person tried X-camshaft with Y-springs and Z-mods and got what most thought were impressive numbers and vast amounts of people followed suit. It's not going to matter anyway w/in the next several months. The 2011 Coyote engine in the GT is going to crack all ***.

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Please reference the car in my sig......drive through.
I don't get it. LSx cars are doing your times with heads/cam/stock style intake/full axles and stock displacement. What is there to reference?
Old 08-16-2010, 01:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

I wouldnt trade my LT1 for nothing I have only lost to 2 out of about 6 bolton ls1s I have raced Plus I like getting the comment "Dam that is one clean *** lt1."
Dude ls cars STOCK trap 107. fully bolted they trap upwards of 113-114. Sounds like the 4 ls cars u beat were basicaly stock... Not tryin to argue, been there done that 10yrs ago! My bolton lt1 m6 would take down stock a4 ls1's pretty easily, m6 cars were close. a bolted m6 ls1 car would hand me my ***! Mine ran exactly what urs does, low 13 @ 106-107. It is what it is bro...
Old 08-16-2010, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SS RRR
It takes just as much effort to make a LSx fast as any other application. LTx owners followed the same pattern as LSx people are now. One person tried X-camshaft with Y-springs and Z-mods and got what most thought were impressive numbers and vast amounts of people followed suit. It's not going to matter anyway w/in the next several months. The 2011 Coyote engine in the GT is going to crack all ***.
Exactly the point I was tryin to make, mixed with a little sarcasim! lol
Old 08-16-2010, 01:52 PM
12 Second Club

We should all start group therapy of why we need to feel better about the
LT1....My name is Dave...Hi Dave...I drive an LT1 and I'm proud (though I secretly crave a LS1)....

Come on kids/guys why do you need to defend what you have?

Look at it this way...after 72 the muscle car was done, the 70s/early 80s TAs and Camaros looked like crap, heavy and no *****! If it wasn't for Smokey the TAs in that period would rot in the yards. Don't fame me but NOW they are cool to have LS swaps and moddern parts.

When my LS1 a4 with 185k had just LTs, a hand tuner and a filter I ran 12.99 @108 my H/C bolt on LT1 6spd 4.11s ran 11.7 at 114. That was the point I said wow.

Thanks for sharing Dave...
Old 08-16-2010, 02:10 PM
Launching!

Ive never spoken with anyone who doesnt regret selling thier first car.

I made out with the first girl in that car.
I went to prom in that car.
I delivered pizzas in it (gas was under a buck!)

No other car does gives me all those memories

(also they sound better!)
Old 08-16-2010, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
LS1 camaros look like ****, why spend money swapping an LT1 nose & hood on the car when you could spend that money on go fast parts?
plus when I bought my car LS1's were going for +$5000 more than LT1's..
plus the LT1 sounds better
This is a new one. Never heard of someone spending money on their LS1 camaro to make it look like an LT1.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceBufferTA
I LOL and love how LT1 owners always claim to stomp on LS1 cars. Let's see some proof because I say 90% of this talk is bullshit and you enjoy hearing those words come out of your mouth because it makes you think you have a fast car.

LT1 based cars = high school kids who can't afford much other then this outdated shoulda coulda woulda wanna be poor design.
Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
You're exactly right. No LT1 has EVARRRR beaten an LS1. Douche.

You sound butt-hurt. Did an LT1 rape you at some point in your life?
+1 on that RamAir...
Old 08-16-2010, 02:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RyanSws6

When my LS1 a4 with 185k had just LTs, a hand tuner and a filter I ran 12.99 @108 my H/C bolt on LT1 6spd 4.11s ran 11.7 at 114. That was the point I said wow.

Thanks for sharing Dave...
My 94 ta with 200k ran times in my sig with just boltons, 3.42, and no tune. So wats ur point.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Speedy
--It is a cheap car that can be found in good condition.
--It is easy to get cheap parts for.
--Once you understand the engine it is very reliable.
--420hp daily driver friendly, LS1/Mustang-killing power with new cam, ported heads.
--The LT1 Camaro hangs the LS1 Camaro for looks.
--It is still the good old small block Chev, the most impressive, popular V8 of all time.
--Even when it isn't faster than other cars, it SOUNDS FASTER.

Once you understand the engine, there is nothing wrong with the LT1.
BOOM! ^ What he said

Quick Reply: Why are we still holding on to these dinosaurs?