LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Why are we still holding on to these dinosaurs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 09:19 PM
Village Troll

Received 538 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by GIZMO
Really? (unported LT1 castings)
... and that's it, right? Lol... riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...

How much did you spend on that engine again?
Old 08-16-2010, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love when people say, "it runs good for an LT1"
Old 08-16-2010, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
... and that's it, right? Lol... riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...

How much did you spend on that engine again?
I don't want to call you out, but I remember reading what all was done to that car, yes its "stock" but weren't you allowed to regrind the cam for something?

I guess I should have specified, my generalization was to 95% of the owners of modded cars, and more specifically, street cars lol.

Not people who had more in their "stock" engines than my car is worth.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I am sick of this LT1 vs. LS1 BULLSHIT! We need to race, shake hands, and respect each others cars... As long as we run the number we're satisfied with, F what engine it took to get there...

Last edited by NewOrleansLT1; 08-17-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lt1/Lt4 section
If you wish to talk Ls1 go to the
Ls1,Ls2,Ls3,Ls6,Ls7,L99,Lq9and Lq4 section.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:18 AM
TECH Resident

Cuz I walk bolt on LS1s like nothing in my untuned Z with paper air filter, shift kit and tornado fuel saver.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:36 AM
On The Tree

I love these "LT1s are better than LS1s" and "LS1s stomp LT1s" threads!

Luckily the answer is simple: "Small blocks are for boys."

I'll gain a couple extra hundred pounds, the extra cubes more than off set the weight gain.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as I'm concerned without the LT1 the LS1 engines wouldn't be as good as they are. The Optispark was the stepping stone between traditional distributors and the coil-on-plug systems we have today.

Great Opti Article.
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ing/index.html

If I run across a local LS1 engine for cheap I'll tear it apart and upgrade it, but so far I've come across SBC engines complete for $100 bucks and LT1 engines $300 bucks I usually don't pass them up.

Probably the biggest insult is when people hear my 388 LT1 engine in my Camaro and come up to me really interested and ask if it is a LS1. When I tell them it is a LT1 they turn around and walk away totally uninterested, kind of feels like a punch in the dick.

As others have said at this point I've spent so much on an LT1 engine that to get where I'm at with an LS1 would involve spending a bit as well.

Originally Posted by big dave
The ls1 has gotten far better aftermarket support than the lt1 ever did. The heads on my lt1 were done by ARE 10 years ago. They are no longer around. Besides them and Lingenfelter, there were probably only a handful of lt1 specialty shops around.. The ls1s were getting aftermarket attention almost from day 1.
Yea this part sucks. I mean Dart teased us with an aftermarket block, but they backed out, I never really thought they would get enough interest to make it anyways. LS1 have plenty of nice blocks to choose from.

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
Very true, there is not a whole lot for the LT motors in the aftermarket. But there are more than 2 companies out there. Not saying they aren't good but when is the last time anyone did an LT4 setup? Or Dart/Trickflow? Id just like to see something other than the normal.
I run some Dart Pro 1 heads, I paid dearly for a custom intake manifold to match it.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:53 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by happysem
I like the catfish look, I will probably change to it...but keep the LT1, boy can you imagine the fun
ive been thinking of doing the same thing with mine, but with a turbo'd 396 motor, or I just want to go with a nice h/c/i ls3, it really depends what day you talk to me i guess. That is one thing I like about these f-bodies, you can do so much to them, so many options for them, I'm not used to that with a newer car
Old 08-17-2010, 02:06 AM
Teching In

I feel less inteligent after reading this thread. It's just like a F-Body vs Mustang thread, except here we are all fans of the same platform (4th gen F-Body). Sooner or later all will have to accept that there is not one perfect platform. People will also have to accept that other people have opinions, and ergo make their choices based on their personal preferances. I love all F-Bodies as long as it has a V8, some prefer V6s, That doesn't really matter to me nor bother me. To each man his own. I respect any car that goes fast down the track, when all is said and done, thats what matters.
However, I would enjoy a level headed conversation over the pro's and con's of both engines.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^Seriously. This topic has been beaten to death. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. Both can be built right and wrong for around the same amount of money. If you need to convince yourself to keep your LT motor maybe you should just switch over. And as stated numbers dont mean ****. I know my friends LS1 TA is making well over 400/360 on the dyno, but is running 13s in the 1/4.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by chaman
...and is in this forum where your guys started this thread! Yeah, it makes a lot of sense...
I've got to apologize here. Honestly, I get along in real life with just about anyone regardless of what the hell they drive. Me and you would shoot the **** at the track or car show all day long. I can respect any ride, but from what i've seen the majority of the LSx cars in my area that are modded don't run to their potential at all. Sure there are a few performers here and there, but most are owned by younger guys who simply don't have the experience or the money to set the entire car up and apply all the power they have. They don't want to spend money on suspension or a rear end or a clutch or a tranny. They want a t-rex, cheap headers a lid and a tune, and that's it. Someone made a post earlier and said that it isn't a domestic vs import battle, it's more like brother vs brother and that is so true with this thread. I like the LSx motor, but for me to switch right now, i'd have a lot of people in my area saying "I told you so", and i'm not done with my LT1 just yet.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats right!

Keep the LT1 in spite of everyone else, now it will be sure to never break down!
Old 08-17-2010, 07:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't want to call you out, but I remember reading what all was done to that car, yes its "stock" but weren't you allowed to regrind the cam for something?

I guess I should have specified, my generalization was to 95% of the owners of modded cars, and more specifically, street cars lol.

What's funny about this is that the motor that is in the car at the moment is the same one that has been in the car for the last two years. It was put together with almost all used parts. The heads were done by my friend and I at his home shop and they will pass tech. The short block has forged Eagle rods and Ross stock replacement flat top pistons that meet NHRA weight requirements. The cam cost $300.00 and uses modified stock lifters and modified stock rockers (7/16" studs). I have been as fast with a stock rotating assembly. It just didn't last!

I race the LTX platform, because that's what came in my car. It's easy to make HP and takes very little maintenance.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:25 AM
Village Troll

Received 538 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedy
A stock LS1 block is too unstable once you get into the serious HP. Just look at your list for proof vs his street driven LT1.
Your opinion? It's a dumb one. As stated, check out the signature of the OP who made that thread. It was not done with a C5R block. It was done w/ a L92 block. It's basically the equivalent, but is not mini-tubbed and was running a 275 drag radial. Wayne (aka ATVRacer) was running 9's w/ an iron block and 275 Drag Radial and won the pump gas drags a few years ago. Another friend of mine is running a turbo car and ran 9.0 @ 156 with an iron block last Friday night.

The way I understand it is there is a huge amount of money in that engine and chassis. Very poor example and bullshit to claim the pic can only be credited to stock heads and a larger profile cam.

You know what's funny about this... You would think if LSx owners gave a **** or felt threatened by the LTx they'd make their way to this thread. They never do. This crap is always comical to read. It's a great example between the internet and reality.

Last edited by SS RRR; 08-17-2010 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:26 AM
Launching!

would love a LSX but i have to agree that i am getting deap into the lt1 and with limited people wanting to buy a "outdated" motor it would cost way to much to start over. once this new motor blows i could see doing a LS though.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would love an LSX platform as well. but I have already gone to far with my car. rear end, chassis, suspension, etc. there is more to a car than just a motor. maybe one day i will put a LS3 or something in my current car. but until then my 383 if fast enough.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:37 AM
Teching In

Our time would be much better spent smoking ricers at the track than debating which chevy smallblock is better than the other chevy smallblock. When it comes down to it, the chevy smallblock has been reguarded as a staple of performance since before I was born.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about we actually compare blocks that came in our cars??
Old 08-17-2010, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY

Buy a $5000 LT1 car spend $2000 on bolt ons and a tune a smoke ANY stock nice $7000 LS car. If you can buy one for that....good luck with that if youve seen the classifieds on here.
My '98 m6 cost me all of $3,300 and $7 to fix the broken pushrod. It had 135k on the clock though. But it was a stock unmolested fbody. I have seen them on craigslist for even less than that sometimes. Since everyone seems to be a mechanic on here I dont see why price is even an arguement.

After i did my research, I decided to pick up the car I did to make a decent amount of power and remain smog legal. If you are picking up a project car, the prices are so close between the two platforms that it should not be a deciding factor. Both of these cars have their merits.

Quick Reply: Why are we still holding on to these dinosaurs?