LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Why are we still holding on to these dinosaurs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was my first car. I'm loyal. LT1 FTW.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I by no means have the time to read what everyone has written but let me say that my 96 SS is still way better looking than most newer LSx cars and probably just as fast if not faster...old is cool!
Old 08-17-2010, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

I put a LT1 in my car found a good deal on it. And every one said you will regret the lt1 and the opti. No trouble so far.
Looking back with what it cost to buy the motor & tranny then rebuild them both I could have gone with a low mile LS.

But the fun I had doing that and driving it would not have had it any other way.
Both are good motors kinda reminds me of the TPI vs LT1 days.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I really don't remember there being this much controversy between the l98s and lt1. They were 2 totally different cars. The 4th gen f-bodys are basically the same platform with only the hearts being different.

I was adament about never getting rid of my lt1 but the more I drive the ls1 the more fun I have. If i had to absolutely get rid of 1 car, it would be the lt1, mainly because of emissions testing. It sucks that I have to go through this bs every 2 years and the car hasn't passed in the last 10.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The way I see it, the ls1 is a superior engine, and it should be. Why would GM take a step backwards. But, I think that if it were possible for an lt1 head to flow as well as an ls1, the power potential would be similar.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by big dave
But, I think that if it were possible for an lt1 head to flow as well as an ls1, the power potential would be similar.
+1 on that...
Old 08-17-2010, 05:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
You know what's funny about this... You would think if LSx owners gave a **** or felt threatened by the LTx they'd make their way to this thread. They never do. This crap is always comical to read. It's a great example between the internet and reality.
I bet if a guy in a turbo Supra walk up to you and say he'll kick your car's *** and bet $10,000 dollars on the race you would fell pretty threatened even though he only has 6 cylinders. The LT1 engine is not something to be taken lightly and the LS1 guys know it, so stop being hard headed. Also there are more LS1 guys that visit our section than there are LT1 guys visiting their section. Theirs no need for them to post on this thread because we bash ourselves while they just read and laugh. You need to step into reality and stop living in your internet fantasy world...

Last edited by NewOrleansLT1; 08-17-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by big dave

I was adament about never getting rid of my lt1 but the more I drive the ls1 the more fun I have. If i had to absolutely get rid of 1 car, it would be the lt1, mainly because of emissions testing. It sucks that I have to go through this bs every 2 years and the car hasn't passed in the last 10.
OMG yes, I wish I had an OBDII car...if I knew that about the car, I would have NEVER bought it, been such a hassle...mine never even passed after redoing my aftermarket exhaust (3 times!)

Now I have to find a friendly inspection every time =(
Old 08-17-2010, 06:18 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by NewOrleansLT1
I bet if a guy in a turbo Supra walk up to you and say he'll kick your car's *** and bet $10,000 dollars on the race you would fell pretty threatened even though he only has 6 cylinders. The LT1 engine is not something to be taken lightly and the LS1 guys know it, so stop being hard headed. Also there are more LS1 guys that visit our section than there are LT1 guys visiting their section. Theirs no need for them to post on this thread because we bash ourselves while they just read and laugh. You need to step into reality and stop living in your internet fantasy world...
A Supra guy walk up to me? What? LOL.. what is your point with that? First off I'd tell him to show me the money. Most pretentious **** who state that kind of **** are posers and are only at the races to gather a crowd for attention and want to try and buy their way out of a race. I've had that happen to me a few times with morons in slow cars.
I don't mean just this message board. Every message board I see when this retarded topic come up no one from the LS1 crowd gets involved to argue a bunch of pointless crap. Try harder to plug your "fantasy world" rebuttal somewhere else. It's not working here. Where there's one LT1 to be taken seriously there's 10 more LSx applications that can crack its ***. That's the reality of the situation.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:25 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Here is a prime example why it is pointless arguing whether or not the sooper LT1 is legit:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...-120mph-n.html

All you "OMG LT1 is srs business, guy!" people better start figuring out how you are going to keep up with this... or keep up in its bolt-on fashion for that matter.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:30 PM
TECH Addict

Here is a prime example why it is pointless arguing whether or not the sooper LT1 is legit:

All you "OMG LT1 is srs business, guy!" people better start figuring out how you are going to keep up with this... or keep up in its bolt-on fashion for that matter.
I want one.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:46 PM
TECH Resident

That mustang does mid 11's with two bolt ons.

sucks for the LT1 scene
Old 08-17-2010, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nik1703
That mustang does mid 11's with two bolt ons.

sucks for the LT1 scene
Wow, I'm curious if you even read the whole thing - 2 pages, OMG!

Not "two bolt ons".
Impressive of course, but I'm sick of these deceitful times that come from all cars, say what it really is.

Oh, and I absolutely LOL'd at those guys crying about the auto 5.0's having no frills and wanting paddle shifters on a muscle car. GTFO.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
The majority of LS based cars of 408 cubes or less that are normally aspirated that run in the tens or better are DEDICATED RACE CARS, I got a DAMN good mind to gut the FAWK outta my car, put a damn CAM in it instead of this sissy *** street cam. Put some gear in it, install a turbo 400 with a brake, tune it on 110 and shut some people the fawk up.

But its a lost cause, I enjoy the HELL out of cracking LS cars. 99% around here HAVE to spray me to get around me LMFAO.
How many motors have you popped with your current setup? It sure as hell doesn't seem very street friendly to me in that regard.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:56 PM
11 Second Club

I wasn't expecting to have to worry about bolt-on gt's with my car. New cars are definitely no joke anymore.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by joelster
LMAO!!!

We've got plenty of guys like this too where I am. They are so quick to whip out the infamous LSx "fastest" lists. The "cam-only" list, the "stock internal" list, lol. Who gives a ****. Obviously people take their LSx stuff 100x more seriously then just about any other platform out there. That is why the lists are so strong. People know about the lists. I can name 4 LTx cars in single digits that aren't even on the LTx fastest lists. Ben Moore 9.90, Joe Overton 9.18 (I think), Mike Jacobs (nitrous record 8.95), Rick Abare 9.54, i'm sure there's LOTS more. Wanna know why? Because they don't care about an LS1tech list. Just keep in mind that FASTFATBOYS car is 100% a street car that isn't nearly on the diet that most of those LSx race cars are from that list. I'm not saying that all of them are race cars, but i'd be willing to bet there are quite a few of them running 14-1 compression aluminum rods, insane valvesprings, etc, etc. Yeah sure they could throw plates on and take a 5 mile cruise to the burger joint once a month, but how about a 25 mile trip on the highway? Put FFB's motor in my car (it's light) and let me drive it (i'm 195lbs) and it would rip a bottom 10 and maybe crack a 9.99.
So no one took the LTx seriously before the LS1's came out?
Old 08-17-2010, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your opinion? It's a dumb one. As stated, check out the signature of the OP who made that thread. It was not done with a C5R block. It was done w/ a L92 block. It's basically the equivalent, but is not mini-tubbed and was running a 275 drag radial. Wayne (aka ATVRacer) was running 9's w/ an iron block and 275 Drag Radial and won the pump gas drags a few years ago. Another friend of mine is running a turbo car and ran 9.0 @ 156 with an iron block last Friday night.

Sorry, I should have clarified. When I say stock LS1, I mean the aluminum engine that came with the car (you know, from the factory not ordered from GM performance or anyone else). I own one by the way and wouldn't build it for racing because it would blow apart because it is not strong enough to withstand serious HP.

You have to laugh at the LS1 owners. They'll talk about how cheap it is to build an LS1 over an LT1, then show examples of non-stock aftermarket LS style iron blocks that are faster than LT1s. LT1s BTW, are already iron and can be bought in a stock car in nice condition for around $4000. Built properly, they are a lot harder to shake to pieces.

Now, if we're talking aftermarket blocks then money is surely no object and the LSx is the platform to build on. It also loses the cheap to build argument.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:41 PM
11 Second Club

Lt1 is old tech but still gets the job done and can compete with most motors if its done right. Prob is most people wont waste the time or money on one when you can just buy a LS car and have an advantage from day one.
With that said seems like my question got avoided. Lets compare records on stock blocks that came in the cars. Hell Tanner is faster than all 6spd f-bodies with his stock block LT1, what about Big Rick or Chris Sikora, Madman/ Berry, Tony Shep, JakesZ28 etc etc etc, all those guys use blocks that came in the car. I dont think aftermarket blocks are apples to apples with the LT crowd. Anyone can drop in a aftermarket super XXXX CI block and go fast.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:53 PM
11 Second Club

I love them all just prefer my Lt cars over my old LS car. Comparing stock block to stock block builds they are fairly close is all Im saying.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by X-ray
We're all in the same F-body boat. Stop acting like highschoolers.
I don't see anyone acting like a high schooler. You'd think discussing the merits of each engine was a crime or something. We're trying to let people know why we like our LT1s and it is simple. One of those things we like is that they can be built to go faster than non-aftermarket LS1s. I know that hurts, but it's true. We also like the low cost and the way they can murder a lot of other cars for cheap too. I own both, and the LT1 is a great deal.

Quick Reply: Why are we still holding on to these dinosaurs?