LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

fuel pump hatch door

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had to replace my 3 day old Walbro because it went bad. Took me 20 minutes instead of 3 hours. Just replaced a pump for a customer of mine who had it go out 10k miles after install. He requested the hatch mod be done. Literally takes five minutes to cut a hole with the cutoff wheel.

I am damn happy I cut mine in my last car and this car. Hell eight years ago on CZ28 people gave me **** for cutting a hole, now I'd say about 90% of the community had no problem doing it. People that freak out about this are the same ones that freak out about drilling three 1" holes for a window motor.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28Camaro30Ann
Some of us DO change it out once a year or more...these things go out and if it happens 3 times in a row, thats a BITCH to do...it took me 3 hours to do my access hatch in my 400rwhp LT1. No added road noise...no problems with structural integrity...no water getting in the car...its covered so fire is not an issue and if your fuel tank is on fire....that sheet metal isnt gonna stop a DAMN thing...do you have ANY IDEA how hot fuel burns when it ignites like a tank would??? Sheet metal would be the equivalent of cardboard in that case....

My fuel pump messed up shortly after I did the install and I had to pull it out...took me 30 minutes. I am THOROUGHLY pleased. AND if someone tried to sell me an F-Body with the trap door mod already done, I would THANK them and be happy that I dont have to worry about that crap!

Also NOONE will see it or know its there UNLESS you SHOW/TELL them....its covered by carpet...doesnt change the way the car looks...

Use common sense people and think before you act like cutting the trunk is so bad...It cost me 25 bucks to do not counting the pump....If you pay to have someone drop your tank, then good for you, I will spend the money I saved on something better for my car than LABOR costs.......

BY THE WAY?...did that mechanic TELL you 150 for the swap????? Cause if not I HIGHLY doubt that will be the cost...It will take a few hours to do and the going rate for MOST shops is aroung 80 bucks an hour not countins any parts it will take, snage they may hit, etc...I would lean closer to the 300 dollar range honestly...
i love how you guys freak out becuase some people dont want to cut a hole in there car. Its not a big deal to pull the axle out and pull the the pump. you make it sound like its so hard.

i have nothing against people cutting a hole in there trunk to do the fuel pump mod. when i was younger i did it in my 87 iroc. in honestly i dont think it makes a difference one bit in structural integrity. If thats your choice then go for it.

im not gona lie if your burned up 3 pumps in a row and your replacing a pump ever year i would suspect there is a problem with your car.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam1203
i love how you guys freak out becuase some people dont want to cut a hole in there car. Its not a big deal to pull the axle out and pull the the pump. you make it sound like its so hard.

i have nothing against people cutting a hole in there trunk to do the fuel pump mod. when i was younger i did it in my 87 iroc. in honestly i dont think it makes a difference one bit in structural integrity. If thats your choice then go for it.

im not gona lie if your burned up 3 pumps in a row and your replacing a pump ever year i would suspect there is a problem with your car.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont think an 8inch by 12inch piece of sheetmetal would be considered structural integrity..
Old 08-22-2010, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel like an idiot because the fuel pump wasnt the issue my car was having. But it has 175000 on it so it probably wouldve needed it soon anyways. Very smooth process, I myself was just a little uneasy with the sparks around the tank. Good luck
Old 08-22-2010, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Formula Freak
Does cutting the hatch door method compromise the structural integrity of the car? Does it add any road noise that would be unacceptable for a daily driver?
I dont have any road noise with mine
Old 08-22-2010, 07:05 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by l 95 Trans Am l
I myself was just a little uneasy with the sparks around the tank. Good luck
Another good reason to use tin snips.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by l 95 Trans Am l
I myself was just a little uneasy with the sparks around the tank. Good luck
There's nothing to ignite. It's not like the tank is OPEN. Let the sparks fly.

EDIT: How ironic.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did it yesterday, I'll post a pic later. I would NEVER pull the tank after doing the access door.

I will add that you need to cut it with the L shape at the top like the merv's.

The pic of the one above would make it MURDER to get the fuel lines unclipped...
Old 08-22-2010, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lol, not a big deal......Im sure tons of people have nothing better to do than spend half a day dropping the rear axle and tank out to swap the pump, assuming you have all the tools and know how. Tell ya what, lets put 2 cars side by side and you drop the rear out, and while yer getting the tank on the ground, ill be starting mine up and sitting back drinkin a beer. Maybe ill hand you some tools while yer under there in between beers.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blown94
Lol, not a big deal......Im sure tons of people have nothing better to do than spend half a day dropping the rear axle and tank out to swap the pump, assuming you have all the tools and know how. Tell ya what, lets put 2 cars side by side and you drop the rear out, and while yer getting the tank on the ground, ill be starting mine up and sitting back drinkin a beer. Maybe ill hand you some tools while yer under there in between beers.
fo real.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blown94
why do you go back and read that whole post again

Like i said done it both ways you want to cut a hole in your car go for it. Those that dont its easy enough to drop the axle. if you dont like the fact i dont want to cut a hole in my car well to fing bad.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

why do you go back and read that whole post again

Like i said done it both ways you want to cut a hole in your car go for it. Those that dont its easy enough to drop the axle. if you dont like the fact i dont want to cut a hole in my car well to fing bad.
...says the guy who gave up on installing headers.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
...says the guy who gave up on installing headers.
well the obvious conclusion would be that dropping the axle would be easier then installing a shitty set of headers. but im sorry you lack the brain power to deduce this

First off again you weren't there when i installed them so its easy to run your mouth about it. second i had more then one reason i didn't want to run them.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

You're right, it IS easy.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i hate coming to these forums. The idea is to come to the forum and for us to share how we do things with each other and to trade information. Except you have a bunch of know it all ******** who do nothing but start **** and if you dont fall into the mainstream thought on how something is done you do nothing but get attacked becuase you disagree on how to do something. Nothing but a load of dip ***** on these place.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Grow some thicker skin dude. It's the internet. Holy ****.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

I hate it here too..ya can't learn anything..

Old 08-22-2010, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i can tell you one thing, i dont even need to change my fuel pump, but i'm planning on keeping my car for a while, and sooner or later the fuel pump will need to be changed more than likely..
i might go ahead and do the trap door just to get it out of the way, that way when the pump goes out it'll take about 30minutes instead of several hours..
Old 08-22-2010, 09:08 PM
Banned

The easy way..amagine being stuck some where cause of fuel pump.or @ the track.....easy fix and your good to go...thats how i installed my twins

Quick Reply: fuel pump hatch door