LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Opti

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opti

Ok im about to do my first opti replace, what all do i need before i even start.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A good set of tools. About the only specialty tool you MIGHT need is a 3-jaw puller to remove the pulley (if it's never been off before it can be difficult to tap off otherwise). You'll need a set of water pump gaskets - that's about it. shbox.com details the procedure a bit more in-depth.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
A good set of tools. About the only specialty tool you MIGHT need is a 3-jaw puller to remove the pulley (if it's never been off before it can be difficult to tap off otherwise). You'll need a set of water pump gaskets - that's about it. shbox.com details the procedure a bit more in-depth.
thanks man, where can i get the puller
Old 08-20-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can rent/purchase a typical 3-jaw puller from pretty much any parts store.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lethal bird
thanks man, where can i get the puller
O'Reilly's will rent them to you. Autozone and NAPA should have them as well. Pretty much any decent autoparts store.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

After my third opti...I decided to try and do it myself. Got real lucky and didn't need a puller at all. I had a big wrench and just nudged the pully left and right side till it came off...just don't be under it when it does...ouchie! I just tapped the starter till the pully adapter on the nose of the crank lined up with the opti just right and didn't need to pull the adapter off at all. My mechanic said I'd have to pull it off...nope. BTW...don't buy a used GM opti from your mechanic...even if it's new. It lasted maybe 1500 miles. Hard lesson learned. Got my water pump gaskets at O'Reilly's was cheapest. I pulled the electric fans down and had plenty of room. Getting all the hoses off were a pain. Make sure you don't get any water or moisture on your new opti! I heard the second version used on the 94 1/2 to 97's were vented and not as bad as the 93-94 version 1 like I have. I'm considering the Advance Autoparts one....it's only like $225 and lifetime warranty.

Good luck!
Old 08-20-2010, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1) New Opti
2) Water pump gaskets
3) RTV sealant (for the pump gaskets and the opti gaskets)
4) A good puller for the harmonic balancer.
5) Jug of coolant.

Other items:
Hose pinchers to stop the coolant from dripping in your face while you are working.
A really good set of ratchets and sockets and extensions.

My procedure in case you're interested:

1) Remove the air intake and remove the coolant sensor plug from the water pump.
2) Put hose pinchers on the coolant hoses, and disconnect them.
3) Remove the two fans.
4) Remove the serpentine belt.
5) Remove the balancer.
6) Remove the water pump, and be gentle so you don't damage the pump drive seal.
7) Disconnect the opti harness.
8) Wrap tape around the spark plug wire boots at the opti to keep them in order and remove them. Remove the vent hoses.
9) Remove the opti screws and remove the opti gently.
10) Note the condition of the timing cover seals. If they are in bad shape, dripping or leaking buy a water pump gasket set and replace them.
11) Take the cover off your new opti.
12) Put a tiny bead of RTV sealant on the opti base where the gasket rests. Install the gasket, put the opti on the engine, then install the opti cap. RTV the gasket area around the opti harness plug, and rub some around the outside of the cap where it meets the base. DO NOT use silicone grease on the optispark gasket.
13) Put dilectic silicone on the plug wire boots and install them, making sure they didn't get mixed up.
14) Install the rest of the components as you took them off, loosen the coolant bleeder screws, refill the coolant, run the engine until coolant comes out of them and clost them.

15) Go have a shower.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:51 PM

I have related question. Please be gentle, it's my first post. As for my mechanical ability, it's pretty limited, but can replace bolt-on parts pretty well and am reasonably careful.

I have a 94 impala that's got the classic opti problems. dirt, oil, and a bit of coolant on it, and it's coincidentally running extremely poorly. the unit I got (opti 1 from summit) has a splined shaft, but I don't see any distinguishing mark to help align it properly. I'd guess that trying at random to hope it's lined up properly isn't much of a strategy. The little fitting/adaptor that I see on the opti II on summit's catalog is not present.

I need to get a new water pump anyway, so I'm going to do that.

Did I miss something when I was looking at the Opti 1? How do I make sure it's aligned properly.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did anyone mention loctite on the rotor screws?
Old 08-30-2010, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Procedure Step 6a)

Use a 15 degree / "warble" extension and a short socket on the pass side center water pump bolt (the one behind the PS pulley!) to get it off and retain your sanity!
Old 08-30-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by great421
Procedure Step 6a)

Use a 15 degree / "warble" extension and a short socket on the pass side center water pump bolt (the one behind the PS pulley!) to get it off and retain your sanity!
I allways pull the 2 10 mm headed bolts on the PS pump and use a straight extension on that WP bolt.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kachin
I have related question. Please be gentle, it's my first post. As for my mechanical ability, it's pretty limited, but can replace bolt-on parts pretty well and am reasonably careful.

I have a 94 impala that's got the classic opti problems. dirt, oil, and a bit of coolant on it, and it's coincidentally running extremely poorly. the unit I got (opti 1 from summit) has a splined shaft, but I don't see any distinguishing mark to help align it properly. I'd guess that trying at random to hope it's lined up properly isn't much of a strategy. The little fitting/adaptor that I see on the opti II on summit's catalog is not present.

I need to get a new water pump anyway, so I'm going to do that.

Did I miss something when I was looking at the Opti 1? How do I make sure it's aligned properly.
Yours will be a 1992-93 optispark if it has the splined shaft. There should be a point at which the spline is larger:

There will be an area on the cam gear that is suitably matched. Look at it with a flashlight and a mirror, you will see it. It can be a pain to get it in properly, but it does go in with a slight snap. Just don't get frustrated and force it. The distributor with sit flush against the timing cover when properly installed. RTV the area around the plug, and smooth a small amount around cover gasket. There is two breathing holes at the bottom, leave those alone.

If there is no mark on the Summit opti at all, send it back and get one somewhere else. I wouldn't want to support some jokester who is selling them with no lineup mark.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:38 PM
FormerVendor

Check out the optispark preservation thread to ensure the longest mileage out of your unit.