LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

IM Thinking about a 800+HP LT1 turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 05:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AChotrod
there is no rules its either the motor blows or goes. I also didnt say Im going to shoot 400 but could with a few upgrades
Yeah, my motor can handle a 400 shot with a few upgrades too. You just said it can, now you need upgrades to do it. Which is it?
Old 09-27-2010, 05:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't remember reading anything LSWHO posted that had any technical value
Old 09-27-2010, 05:51 PM
11 Second Club

OK lets see these junk yard turbo LT1s making 600+ RWHP for less
Old 09-27-2010, 05:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
I'd say pointing out ignorant bullshit in threads like this so that noobs don't read it and think it's accurate counts for technical value.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:58 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSWHO
I'd say pointing out ignorant bullshit in threads like this so that noobs don't read it and think it's accurate counts for technical value.
i was beginning to think you were an internet mechanic, but now you've changed my mind
Old 09-27-2010, 05:59 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

LSWHO, stop attacking other members setups. It will not be allowed. You can learn alot from people who are faster than you.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:01 PM
11 Second Club

Your a moron. I have a built motor, I have a fully suspended car, I have a race built trans. My car has gone 11.60 @120 NA leaving at 4500 with a 1.68 60ft and tons left in it. Plus Im building a bigger better 388 right now. Did you happen to miss all that?????
Old 09-27-2010, 06:08 PM
Staging Lane

I promised myself not to get into anything complicated with my LT1 for this very same reason. When there's LSx, why the hell would I bother trying to make an older, less potent engine work. As much as it hurts to know my car isn't as potent as something else, but it doesn't make my car any less awesome than it is.

I heard LQ4 and LQ9 engines are cheaper and more durable than LS1. If you're gonna spend 20 grand on a car might as well spend an extra 3 grand on a swap like that and end up with something more durable.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:17 PM
11 Second Club

Some of us prefer to keep the engine that came in the car. Thats all and a LT1 can go wicked fast, prob is when getting into turbos theres no real off the shelf kits for them, making it crazy expensive unless you can fab all your own stuff and even then its 10x more expensive. Im not sure how anyone could say different.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

This thread looks trashed, but for what it's worth, I have about 11K in my engine/turbo setup. I'm only making 640hp but 750 is just a few psi away if I upgrade my fuel. This is with high end parts and all brand new. Also I did all the labor including building the motor. So if you want 800+hp you better be willing to spend AT LEAST 13-15K or just turn around.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JasonShort
LSWHO, stop attacking other members setups.
Gotcha. I was only attacking claims, not builds, but I quit regardless.

Originally Posted by Ralls
for what it's worth, I have about 11K in my engine/turbo setup. I'm only making 640hp
Badass. There's a guy somewhat local here that did 571whp building his own stuff. His build was even less and that was his first run on the dyno that night. he was dialing in and tuning that night he just got it together. That's pretty cheap. You'd be hard pressed to make a heads cam built bottom end car run dyno that for any cheaper no matter the power adder.

Last edited by LSWHO; 09-27-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:50 PM
11 Second Club

Dont quit you can build a 600rwhp car with scraps. Bottom line just like I first said a turbo set up is 10x a n2o set up period.I will stay with N2o because I cant afford a turbo car.

Also not sayin Tony didnt spend a lot on his kit, but it is still less than half of a compairable turbo set up and he is one of the fastest LT1s around. How much do you think it would cost him to convert?????
Old 09-27-2010, 11:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How much do you think it would cost him to convert?????
Ask him - I know for a fact he has thought about it more then once .

Doing a turbo RIGHT is big money. I started from scratch on my current build and considered all options for my goals - refresh the stock block and go turbo 355, turbo 383, nitroused 383, NA 396, or NA 383...for what I want to spend and run, an NA 383 was what I went with. I have over 10k into my NA motor, even getting tons of parts for killer deals, and still know that I would not have been able to turbo it how I want for that much. I'm not going to trust a junkyard turbo build on a stock block to hold together for very long if its making any kind of power(700+ fwhp).

I would not be shooting for under 700hp flywheel with a turbo. It wont be worth the money IMO, for that just spray a H/C 383...if you're gonna do it, do it big .
Old 09-27-2010, 11:08 PM
11 Second Club

Exactly^^^ Trust me I would love to go turbo but its not happening now or anytime soon even If I bought pc by pc.

Last edited by AChotrod; 09-27-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:54 PM
TECH Addict

I can't just ignore you if you keep talking at me.

A guy JUST POSTED that he spent less than or equal to both of your builds and is making more power than both of you. I've watched a guy dyno tune his Z28 with a home garage basic piston upgrade motor and small turbo put down 571 on a baseline tune. He has less than HALF the money than ALL people mentioned thus far and is making 571whp.

I'm not saying turbos are cheap. But 800 whp NO MATTER THE POWER ADDER is going to cost a lot of money. The turbo version will be more expensive, but not by much.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:42 AM
Launching!

OK guys, every build is different. Everyone has preferences. You build the car to suit you and your wallet. Yeah great, you can get 550+rwhp cheaply...awesome, go do it. Good luck having a pristine car, everything done damn near perfect, able to eat off the underside, and do it for under half of what most guys do. I'd personally rather have a clean as **** car, have more money in it and make less power (although 600+ isn't anything to shake a stick at). I'd rather take it to the track, not worry about it breaking, and drive it home. By the time you build it properly, you're gonna throw that "power for cheap" out the window. Oh I can use a cheaper turbo, oh I can use a cheap wastegate, ahh stock rods are fine, the rearend will hold if I'm nice to it....keep saying that and you'll have more money in tow bills than you would've had in a well-done car. ACHotrod's car is BY FAR one of the most well-built cars I've seen, and I guarantee you won't find a cleaner car for the power he's making...period. I bet his ******* doesn't pucker every time he gets on it wondering about rod bolts or shearing a pinion gear. If you ask me I'd rather spend the money and do it right before I go and just make numbers to show off. It seems everyone knows someone or is a friend of a friend of a friend of a guy who made 600rwhp on a stock bottom. How many times did it actually make that? Everyone has heard it, but Power, Money, Reliability, pick 2. I bet you know which 2 I picked...

Edit:not ******* on anybody specifically, my car's build was cheaper than some (at 15k right now), but I did 100% of the fab and assembly. All I let anybody else do was bore/hone/machining for 4 bolt main caps.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:35 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
So you're shortblock can handle a 400 shot? Not to mention getting that power to the ground on the launch. It's a lot different than running 12's.
AC's Car is setup well and the car DOES run quicker than 12's. As for getting that power to the ground on launch...it can....has....and could be done with the way his car is set up. Its not about what parts you ordered out of the catalog its about how they are set up....trust me. Also how fast does your car run? I dont see any numbers? Stay on topic with the discussion.....dont attack AC.

I dont see why not. Chassis is pretty much done, I have a built th350 and the only part of my engine Id worry about in the factory rods which do have arp hardware so It might last a while it might not. In the mean time i have a nice 4bolt block and cola crank that just need some pistons and rods. Vtechs car seems to do fine on a factory shortblock

Also if I remember right my car has gone quicker than yours has ever, and has every single time out, until I changed it.
If your referring to my 12sec pass at the shootout(which by the way you werent there) anyone who knows **** about cars knows my car is not set up to run NA at the moment and I had a bad day driving the first time out with the new set up.

Absolutly your car will move, a set of compstar h beams and a forged piston and your good to go Mike. And as for your 12 second pass at the shootout I was there and I saw it.....you were having issues with the car/driver lol....i know theres much more in it and also everybody was a bit slower at the shootout...i was down a couple of tenths and about 2mph ish.....you car is an impressive car....runs great!!!

Isn't the general rule that you can spray about half the power you make NA?

You're telling everybody here that you want to spray enough to DOUBLE your power and you think it's safe?
must've been absent that day lol

there is no rules its either the motor blows or goes. I also didnt say Im going to shoot 400 but could with a few upgrades
exactly.....i love those "rules" that get made lol......head studs, cometics, rods and pistons and spray away!!!!!

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z

Your a moron. I have a built motor, I have a fully suspended car, I have a race built trans. My car has gone 11.60 @120 NA leaving at 4500 with a 1.68 60ft and tons left in it. Plus Im building a bigger better 388 right now. Did you happen to miss all that?????
Atta boy mike!!!!! Your car is going 10's with the new motor and with some suspension tuning you could bring that 60' down and prob go 11.30's wit out any trouble. Lemme know if ya want any tips on that new 388 i got some good experience with 383's Another 10 second NA LT1 comming up!!! Be glad to have you in the club!!!

Some of us prefer to keep the engine that came in the car. Thats all and a LT1 can go wicked fast, prob is when getting into turbos theres no real off the shelf kits for them, making it crazy expensive unless you can fab all your own stuff and even then its 10x more expensive. Im not sure how anyone could say different.
Yep absolutly.....a correctly built LT1 will move out just as good as anything else....it just takes a bit more effort. And yes we installed a front mount on an ls1 car and let me tell you.....it was a very challenging thing to pull off...there is NO space in these damn things lol

Exactly^^^ Trust me I would love to go turbo but its not happening now or anytime soon even If I bought pc by pc.
Yep, I looked into it too it would cost me at least 8k to switch over my setup to a properly setup turbo car. Pistons, cam, gear, converter, injectors, then all the turbo crap might as well just buy another car lol....I'm going for 9s NA and I'm close now......then i wont need the turbo right? lol ...i wanna run the 9 numbers on motor then its time to wack it with a shot....of course i''ll stay under 50% of my power as stated above lol......
Old 09-28-2010, 08:46 AM
Staging Lane

There are turbo kits out there, they're expensive but they come with everything you need. 4 grand for a new set of STS rear mount to about 6 for a twin turbo front mount set (dont remember the brand), all of which bolts right onto your engine. You could fab your own stuff like this guy I saw make a rear mount with $1700 or something, but in that case it's not that expensive.

Most people say LT1 is not on par with the LS1 because of its poor headflow. No matter what you do to it, if you had done the same on an LS1 you'd end up with a better head flow. Apart from that apparently the maximum you can ask a stock LT1 bottom end is around 600hp while an LS1 could probably do just fine at 800-900hp. So if someone wants 700hp out of an LT1 he needs forged internals, as opposed to not needing them with an LS1.

Of course I don't have the experience to confirm all this info but it's what I found from research on the forums and talking to various people.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:52 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AmirGTR
There are turbo kits out there, they're expensive but they come with everything you need. 4 grand for a new set of STS rear mount to about 6 for a twin turbo front mount set (dont remember the brand), all of which bolts right onto your engine. You could fab your own stuff like this guy I saw make a rear mount with $1700 or something, but in that case it's not that expensive.

Most people say LT1 is not on par with the LS1 because of its poor headflow. No matter what you do to it, if you had done the same on an LS1 you'd end up with a better head flow. Apart from that apparently the maximum you can ask a stock LT1 bottom end is around 600hp while an LS1 could probably do just fine at 800-900hp. So if someone wants 700hp out of an LT1 he needs forged internals, as opposed to not needing them with an LS1.

Of course I don't have the experience to confirm all this info but it's what I found from research on the forums and talking to various people.
you're not making 800hp on a stock ls1 bottom end trust me lol.....been there done that got the tshirt........line is drawn around 600-650hp.....about the same as the lt1.......the ls1 crank will handle alot of power but the lt1 will as well.......there similar power handling wise.................you are correct on the cylinder head it is in fact more efficent.....of course we are comparing a 23* LT head to a 18* or 15* LS series head so its apples to oranges. But dont put downt the LT1 head theres a couple of 23* heads out there that are out powering the 18* and 15* LS1 heads. I got one of em bolted on my motor
Old 09-28-2010, 10:25 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Do you believe your public service is making a difference? Because honestly, who are you? I would think if the "noobs" are to know the difference between what is claimed you should have some sort of credentials?

P.S.
A guy JUST POSTED that he spent less than or equal to both of your builds and is making more power than both of you. I've watched a guy dyno tune his Z28 with a home garage basic piston upgrade motor and small turbo put down 571 on a baseline tune. He has less than HALF the money than ALL people mentioned thus far and is making 571whp.
PROOF!

Last edited by SS RRR; 09-28-2010 at 11:31 AM.

Quick Reply: IM Thinking about a 800+HP LT1 turbo build