Browse all: Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

cost to change intake manifold gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AChotrod
Its easy just nuts and bolts. Put some dowl pins in the bolt holes so it goes on straight and use the right Stuff for RTV.
bingo, thats the magic that gets your intake back on straight. and ******* up the RTV would be hard imo just lay a solid bead down ALL the way across the block.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by happysem
I did mine a couple of months ago and its leaking from the back of the manifold pretty bad (at least I hope its there), I probably didn't put enough RTV on it.

It was relatively easy, just took a while since it was my first time since I couldn't figure out how to remove the back bolts because emissions **** was in the way, but now I know - REMOVE THAT **** FIRST, and if you have to put it back (unfortunately I did, lol) put it back on last!

Hardest part was putting it back down perfectly without sliding, which is probably why mine leaks now, I tried to do it by myself leaning as far as I could into the hood lol - didn't work so well.

Probably need a torque wrench and just follow shbox's instructions on the order of the bolts.
see thats what i'm afraid of, if someone who know what they were doing did it 2 years ago and it started leaking slightly last year (i thought it was the VC gasket at that time and tightened it but it didn't go away and now is worse) than i probably would end up making it leak worse than it is righ tnow. its not enough that it shows on the dipstick but every time i drive my car there is oil residue on the rear bumper and i can see a quarter to half dollar size puddle of oil under the car a few mins after i shut it off. how much of that is directly from the intake leak or just oil that has slid down the block and onto the bottom of the car i'm not sure.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:23 PM
TECH Regular

where are you located ?
Old 10-07-2010, 03:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SS RRR
pfffff
Cylinder head removal/install
\/\/\/\/\/\/

LOL that's awesome. I remember when I was doing my heads, my buddy was clearing out some space in his yard/house for my car so we started ripping off the headers, intake manifold, etc in the street in front of his house haha. Gotta love working on these things..
Old 10-07-2010, 03:54 PM
Staging Lane

Flat rate says 4.1hrs add 1.0 with tractionso now days at the dealers times that by i dk lets say a $100 4*100 = $400 lol
Old 10-07-2010, 04:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
pfffff
Cylinder head removal/install
\/\/\/\/\/\/

LMFAO!!! thats hilarious!

Wonder how many new words you taught the neighbors kids.

Im confident that if you can do spark plugs on a fbody, you can do anything.

Na all kidding aside, some people say you shouldnt do it if you dont know how. Im a fan on doing it once, doing it the wrong way, spending money to redo it, learning how to do it the right way, and having the knowledge and pride.

Na, sometimes you get it right the first try, doing new things you just need to use your brain, take your time, and use the correct tools. If its your only car i can understand tho, been in that boat.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AChotrod
Its easy just nuts and bolts. Put some dowl pins in the bolt holes so it goes on straight and use the right Stuff for RTV.
good tip on the dowels. I also use the honda intake manifold gray rtv. no issues.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:42 PM
Village Troll

Received 541 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by merim123
good tip on the dowels. I also use the honda intake manifold gray rtv. no issues.
Yikes. That **** is like super glue. All the import fellas I used to know called it "Honda Bond."
Old 10-07-2010, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

not too bad actually, just pulled my intake off 2 days ago and came right up.

- also one more trick, the magic eraser for getting the last of the rtv off the block and intake manifold mating surfaces.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:39 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm lazy....got a green 3M disk for cleaning the mating surfaces....takes everything right off, and doesn't hurt a thing. The Right Stuff is the best way to go, sets up quick and makes it real easy to fire up the motor by the time you're done putting it back together. If you wanna drive up by Chicago I'm sure I could teach you how to do it....I showed a buddy about 6 years ago how to do it in about 2 hours.....that motor didn't leak until we blew it up 2 years after that...lol (bad N2O, bad!!!)
Old 10-07-2010, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
see thats what i'm afraid of, if someone who know what they were doing did it 2 years ago and it started leaking slightly last year (i thought it was the VC gasket at that time and tightened it but it didn't go away and now is worse) than i probably would end up making it leak worse than it is righ tnow. its not enough that it shows on the dipstick but every time i drive my car there is oil residue on the rear bumper and i can see a quarter to half dollar size puddle of oil under the car a few mins after i shut it off. how much of that is directly from the intake leak or just oil that has slid down the block and onto the bottom of the car i'm not sure.
just because a mechanic is ASE certified doesn't necessarily mean they know what their doing with an LT1.. plus it could of been done right(which most likely it was if it didn't leak til 2yrs later) and the EGR could of cooked it. I'd come help if I were in your area, maybe ask some people in your regional section.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:44 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Before putting the intake straight down, make sure to use 1/4 inch bead all the way across the block and overlap onto the intake gasket. Working time is about 20 minutes and fully cured in 24 hours. You can add oil right after your done tightening the bolts.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

my opinion, if your gonna do the manifold gasket, why not do lifters and push rods, and if your gonna do those, why not do a cam while its all apart lol.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
just because a mechanic is ASE certified doesn't necessarily mean they know what their doing with an LT1.. plus it could of been done right(which most likely it was if it didn't leak til 2yrs later) and the EGR could of cooked it. I'd come help if I were in your area, maybe ask some people in your regional section.
actually it was a modrator of a midwestern fbody site who has done many lt1 intakes, i'm sure he knew what he was doing.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:15 PM
TECH Junkie

actually it was a modrator of a midwestern fbody site who has done many lt1 intakes, i'm sure he knew what he was doing.
Where do you live?
Old 10-07-2010, 09:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How do you know that the next person you take your car to won't mess it up and you'll be in the same boat as you are now in 2 years? At least if you do it, you can't blame anyone except yourself.

Go to shbox's website, he provides great photos to get you started. Take pictures of every bolt and connector before you remove anything; that way you have a reference if you forget where something goes. Its a pretty easy job, I had mine off in no time when doing my cam swap. It also goes back on way faster than taking it off, just have extra hands. I was laying on the engine and had one person on each side of the car to guide that heavy bitch back on without smearing the RTV lol...
Old 10-07-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1badzee
Where do you live?
northwest indiana. i used to live in pompano beach, fl though, lol. i bought the car in weston in may 2004.

Originally Posted by spudnick3119
How do you know that the next person you take your car to won't mess it up and you'll be in the same boat as you are now in 2 years? At least if you do it, you can't blame anyone except yourself.

Go to shbox's website, he provides great photos to get you started. Take pictures of every bolt and connector before you remove anything; that way you have a reference if you forget where something goes. Its a pretty easy job, I had mine off in no time when doing my cam swap. It also goes back on way faster than taking it off, just have extra hands. I was laying on the engine and had one person on each side of the car to guide that heavy bitch back on without smearing the RTV lol...
it doesn't requre any torqing of bolts or anything right? you can just crank them down with a standard ratchet? problem is, if i did it myself, it'd be by myself. i really know no one up here who is into cars. my dad doesn't even like doing stuff like changing headlights. (i had to ask him for help getting a stuck bolt loose on the headlight on my old 95 subaru wagon, lol) I'm not exaggerating when i say i really am not good with mechanical stuff. i did manage to remove all my seats for reupholstering 2 years ago without much issue. i even disassembled them too. i had to have the upholstery shop finish the reassembly though.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:03 PM
TECH Junkie

northwest indiana. i used to live in pompano beach, fl though, lol. i bought the car in weston in may 2004.
Oh, I was going to say.. I drive through Pompano many times per week for school and ****.. I would have helped you out. But Indiana? You're on your own bud
Old 10-07-2010, 11:07 PM
TECH Junkie

yeah as much time as i would have over the winter (it sits in the garage from early-mid november to mid-late march) the garage isn't heated, there isn't a lot of room to move around since there are 2 cars in there, and then there's the whole mechanical knowhow thing. oh and a lack of tools, lol. i spent like 20 mins during the door adjustment thing trying to find a 3/8 inch to 1/4 reducer for my ratchet, lol.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Should have stayed in the good ol' Sunshine State

Quick Reply: cost to change intake manifold gasket?