Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

cost to change intake manifold gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010 | 05:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

The only reason I would advise against an abrasive disk is that they produce abrasive dust, which your oil will quickly absorb. I've had tremendous luck with just a good solvent and a razor blade.
Old 10-08-2010 | 07:10 AM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
The only reason I would advise against an abrasive disk is that they produce abrasive dust, which your oil will quickly absorb. I've had tremendous luck with just a good solvent and a razor blade.
agreed...abrasive not only shoots junk everywhere it will also remove material from the heads....I like the 3m disks made for removing gaskets....they look like a bunch of little fingers off the base of the disk and only remove gasket material as they're made of a sort of plastic. If you plug the intake ports and cover the lifter valley it makes it really easy to keep the junk out..

OP, where in NW IN? There are plenty of us in the Chicagoland area that would be willing to give you a hand....
Old 10-08-2010 | 10:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1badzee
Should have stayed in the good ol' Sunshine State
paying almost $900/mo in rent plus only making ~ $14/hr was starting to kill me financially down there. I moved to AZ to move in with a friend and save money and then my parents got sick and i moved back here, my mom died in 07 and my dad is fine now but since i've been unemployed since 08 and have no direction in life right now, i can't really afford to move anywhere.

I'm in crown point which is in south lake county, the county in indiana that is closest to Crook county, il.
Old 10-08-2010 | 10:38 AM
Launching!

man up and get a intake mani gasket kit for 15 dollars pick up the right stuff for the front and back of the intake, and a couple razor blades and while your at it a 6 pack then just go to town!
Old 10-08-2010 | 06:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
northwest indiana. i used to live in pompano beach, fl though, lol. i bought the car in weston in may 2004.

it doesn't requre any torqing of bolts or anything right? you can just crank them down with a standard ratchet? problem is, if i did it myself, it'd be by myself. i really know no one up here who is into cars. my dad doesn't even like doing stuff like changing headlights. (i had to ask him for help getting a stuck bolt loose on the headlight on my old 95 subaru wagon, lol) I'm not exaggerating when i say i really am not good with mechanical stuff. i did manage to remove all my seats for reupholstering 2 years ago without much issue. i even disassembled them too. i had to have the upholstery shop finish the reassembly though.

The intake manifold bolts need to be torqued to about 35ft/lb in the proper sequence. You really only need the extra hands when plopping the intake back on, I'm sure you can find someone to stand there and help guide it back on, no car knowledge required to do that lol. Or try the dowel pins on one side of the intake, you might be able to get away with dropping it down by yourself with that method.
Old 10-08-2010 | 08:31 PM
Launching!

Like everyone else is saying its not really hard, i never thought to have anyone help lower it back on, didn't seem necessary to me. Of course neither did my transmission, now that was a bitch. Mostly because of my 35$ baby floor jack. But anyways the fuel lines can be a bugger without the right tool, and a few bucks spent on a set of box end ratchet wrenches for the things in the back can be a life saver. Just pray it isn't your rear main seal leaking, that is what my leek ended up being..
Old 10-08-2010 | 09:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Jcl_96TA
Like everyone else is saying its not really hard, i never thought to have anyone help lower it back on, didn't seem necessary to me. Of course neither did my transmission, now that was a bitch. Mostly because of my 35$ baby floor jack. But anyways the fuel lines can be a bugger without the right tool, and a few bucks spent on a set of box end ratchet wrenches for the things in the back can be a life saver. Just pray it isn't your rear main seal leaking, that is what my leek ended up being..
I doubt it's the rear main. i had it changed when the trans was rebuilt about 3 years and ~ 15k mi ago. I saw the guy put his hand on the back of the intake manifold and have it come back black and wet. either its the intake manifold or somehow there is wet sealant back there after 2 years.
Old 10-12-2010 | 11:25 AM
TECH Junkie

I just called a shop and for them to change the intake manifold and let it sit for 24 hrs (they said this is what you're supposed to do so thats a good thing) and change the oil and add some coolant (for the TB lines maybe? we didn't have to add coolant last time) would be ~ $440. Is that a fair price? Since they want to change the oil i might just wait till spring to have it done and then start the summer off with fresh oil. hmm.
Old 10-12-2010 | 11:47 AM
TECH Regular

I just called a shop and for them to change the intake manifold and let it sit for 24 hrs (they said this is what you're supposed to do so thats a good thing) and change the oil and add some coolant (for the TB lines maybe? we didn't have to add coolant last time) would be ~ $440. Is that a fair price? Since they want to change the oil i might just wait till spring to have it done and then start the summer off with fresh oil. hmm.
Im doing my intake manifold right now as well, wasn't to bad the only hard part i had was getting some of the bolts out but i left the fuel rails on. one of the studs was spinning when i was trying to take the top nut off. After doing it though i would not be happy at all to have to pay 400 for that. If your worried abut changing oil just have someone help you and look around at guides its really simple.
Old 10-12-2010 | 11:48 AM
TECH Regular

my as well just find some one to help and use that 440 for better stuff like tools and what not.
Old 10-12-2010 | 12:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TheTransporter69
Im doing my intake manifold right now as well, wasn't to bad the only hard part i had was getting some of the bolts out but i left the fuel rails on. one of the studs was spinning when i was trying to take the top nut off. After doing it though i would not be happy at all to have to pay 400 for that. If your worried abut changing oil just have someone help you and look around at guides its really simple.
well it's just that i had the oil changed like 500 mi ago so if i'm gonna pay to have it done i might as well wait till spring since the car is going to be sitting all winter anyway and that way the warrenty will start in the spring.

I only drive ~ 5k a year and probably have only put around 9k mi or so on the car since it was changed in june 2008.
Old 10-12-2010 | 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AChotrod
Its easy just nuts and bolts. Put some dowl pins in the bolt holes so it goes on straight and use the right Stuff for RTV.
What are dowl pins?

Can I just use a long slightly smaller rod/stud thing to guide it in?

I need to redo mine, sounds like it will be much easier this way lol.
Old 10-12-2010 | 03:19 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

It's really not hard to do....if you do it you will be VERY upset that they would charge that much for the job. the oil change is not required due to the fact that no coolant runs in the intake and therefore will not dump into the crankcase. I'm busy the next two weekends, but I'd be willing to teach you/show you what it takes, but it's pretty much an hour drive to/from my place. It's up to you, but I definitely would not pay that much to get it fixed...
Old 10-13-2010 | 01:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by duh
It's really not hard to do....if you do it you will be VERY upset that they would charge that much for the job. the oil change is not required due to the fact that no coolant runs in the intake and therefore will not dump into the crankcase. I'm busy the next two weekends, but I'd be willing to teach you/show you what it takes, but it's pretty much an hour drive to/from my place. It's up to you, but I definitely would not pay that much to get it fixed...
is it true you can't start the car for 24 hrs after you tighten everything down?
Old 10-13-2010 | 01:59 AM
duh
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't go by that....I've done plenty and fired them shortly after bolting it down and never had an issue with a leak. "RightStuff" sets up quickly and once you get heat in it, it dries rather quickly. Infact we did a head and cam swap on my buddies old boat and fired it within an hour of bolting the manifold back on and haven't had any issues since....

take it as you will, but I've never seen an issue if done properly
Old 10-13-2010 | 04:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

I think 24 hours is unnecessary. If I can, I usually wait 12 hours, but have fired it up in as little as 3. Of course there is a degree of risk involved in starting it before the RTV has completely set (i.e., cold weather, etc.). If you can, wait at least 12 hours, IMO.
Old 10-13-2010 | 11:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Is it possible it's not my intake leaking? we felt black stuff where it meets the block but could it be something else back there? it's on the right side so it probably isn't the OSU and the valve cover is dry though.
Old 10-13-2010 | 11:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

I think it is unlikely that it ISN'T your manifold. If you still have doubts, you can always pick up a dye kit to help pinpoint the location.
Old 10-13-2010 | 12:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
I think it is unlikely that it ISN'T your manifold. If you still have doubts, you can always pick up a dye kit to help pinpoint the location.
I'm sure it probably is, i just don't see how it could go bad in only 2 years and ~ 10k mi
Old 10-13-2010 | 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm sure it probably is, i just don't see how it could go bad in only 2 years and ~ 10k mi
Depending on how it was done the last time, there's plenty of reasons why it could go bad. Type of RTV used (and quantity), proximity of the EGR tube, dry time of the RTV, setting the manifold on incorrectly and sliding, etc. Any one or combination of these can speed up gasket failure.

Quick Reply: cost to change intake manifold gasket?