LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Bad gas mileage is it normal???

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 07:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05HD
Welcome to LS1tech n00b. Once you hit 16, you leave here and never come back.
So why the **** haven't you left yet?
Old 11-03-2010, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by LSWHO
Two fills? 150 per tank highway, that's horrendous.

Never heard of a 30 gallon tank...
I would have to make a fool of myself on my first post =P 10.05 gallons.. 29.95 MPG. I was simply stating that it is possible to get 30 out of a LT1. Though i'll admit it doesn't happen unless you drive like a grandma.... I average about 18 - 24ish.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Today I stretched the tank a bit more than I usually do before fillup, it was at 205 miles. I started hearing/feeling a slight surge in the idle, but was fairly certain I had heard that before randomly and I was paranoid that I was too low on gas despite the fact that I was pretty sure I had about 2 gallons left. The light turned green (slight uphill offramp) and it hesitated for a second like it was running out of gas. Scared the **** out of me, it was not a very good place for the car to die, despite the fact that I was 1/8 mile from a gas station. I made it to the gas station with no more cutting out and it only put in 13.8 gallons. What gives? I was thinking maybe because I was on a hill even though it wasn't very steep and I stepped on the gas it sloshed to the back and didn't have enough fuel. I hope.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Marc3.4V6
I made it to the gas station with no more cutting out and it only put in 13.8 gallons. What gives? I was thinking maybe because I was on a hill even though it wasn't very steep and I stepped on the gas it sloshed to the back and didn't have enough fuel. I hope.
I was under the impression that it had a 15 gallon tank, but mine has run out (and been pushed the last 100 feet =/) and only taken a hair over 14.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:11 PM

correct me if i'm wrong, and you probly already know this, but the basic reason that you slow down when you downshift (engine braking), is because the pistons are still making their stroke, even if you aren't dumping a shitload of fuel into the cylinders, and still have to compress the gases, just plain air mostly, before it can be exhausted, this uses quite a bit of energy, which instead of coming from the fuel, is coming from the car's momentum. So if you are riding down the road in 6th and let off the gas, your engine turning, say 2000 rmp the amount of air for that rpm would have to be compressed and exhausted, whereas if you dropped to 4th, and were turning say 5000 rpm, a much larger amount of air is moving through the engine and requires alot more energy for compression. This is basically the same concept as a jake brake in a semi, where the exhaust is closed off, causing the gases to be compressed in between the engine and the actual jake brake, before being allowed to exit.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Regular

^ aka vacuum
Old 11-03-2010, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by idformula
^ aka vacuum
lol, my point, (and SS's point also i'm sure) exactly, is there another reason?
Old 11-03-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

How does the digital MPG guage that Ford has used in some cars for years work and can it be duplicated or retrofitted into other vehicles??? Does anyone here know? Any of you even know what I'm talking about?

My parents had an 82 Mercury 302 two barrel Gran Marquis and it had one.....and also a 90 Town Car 302 EFI....and I've seen them in several other Town Cars.

This guage will let you switch from average MPG for a trip to actual/real time MPG while you drive as well as showing gallons left in the tank AND estimated miles til empty at your current rate. It is cool to see how different take offs drop the milege....and exactly when the milege begins to drop after coasting down a hill then back up the beginning of the next. The thing had a 99 MPG limit though. It would hit that at highway speeds down hills in OD. I managed 29+ MPG highway out of the town car on several occasions (never could hit 30. The car was bone stock everything.

Long post (as usual for me) and alot of you may think it doesn't belong here, but this guage will do wonders for you if you practice squeezing the most MPG you can out of your car. I'd think it couldn't be that involved as far as swapping to other vehicles since they used it on both carb'd and fuel injected apps.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
How does the digital MPG guage that Ford has used in some cars for years work and can it be duplicated or retrofitted into other vehicles??? Does anyone here know? Any of you even know what I'm talking about?

My parents had an 82 Mercury 302 two barrel Gran Marquis and it had one.....and also a 90 Town Car 302 EFI....and I've seen them in several other Town Cars.

This guage will let you switch from average MPG for a trip to actual/real time MPG while you drive as well as showing gallons left in the tank AND estimated miles til empty at your current rate. It is cool to see how different take offs drop the milege....and exactly when the milege begins to drop after coasting down a hill then back up the beginning of the next. The thing had a 99 MPG limit though. It would hit that at highway speeds down hills in OD. I managed 29+ MPG highway out of the town car on several occasions (never could hit 30. The car was bone stock everything.

Long post (as usual for me) and alot of you may think it doesn't belong here, but this guage will do wonders for you if you practice squeezing the most MPG you can out of your car. I'd think it couldn't be that involved as far as swapping to other vehicles since they used it on both carb'd and fuel injected apps.
My 92 GTP had this.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DZ28K
05HD was saying that there was some other force at work than vacuum when you downshift and let off the gas, as he put it it,

Originally Posted by 05HD
Here is a hint. You can measure it with a gauge but it isn't vacuum.
He won't tell us what it is so you tell me and we'll both know, IDK what it would be.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 11-04-2010, 08:55 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by DZ28K
Pumping losses from vacuum, gear drag and multiplication.
Originally Posted by idformula
05HD was saying that there was some other force at work than vacuum when you downshift and let off the gas
It's better left for some to be assumed it's magic, and friction.
Originally Posted by LSWHO
OH! Is that why I posted this?

Good thing you clarified, cause we'd be lost.

Thanks!
Just checking to make sure you weren't lost again, little buddy.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Just checking to make sure you weren't lost again, little buddy.

Once again instigating a fight. Luckily you have a moderator in your pocket.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:26 PM
Village Troll

Haterz be hatin', dawg!
Jason has been a friend of mine long before this board existed. He is not the only mod on this site. You just need to learn how to lighten up. There have been others here who've said far worse to you. Besides, like most others who cry a lot about what I've said to them, you introduced yourself to me by typing a bunch of garbage.

Last edited by SS RRR; 11-04-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

Haterz be hatin', dawg!
Jason has been a friend of mine long before this board existed. He is not the only mod on this site. You just need to learn how to lighten up. There have been others here who've said far worse to you. Besides, like most others who cry a lot about what I've said to them, you introduced yourself to me by typing a bunch of garbage.
I was cool at first about it, but the 5 of you guys all doing the same thing gets a bit irritating. Especially if you notice most of what I say We are all agreeing on, but you guys take things out of context and act like I said what I didn't or implied what I didn't. If you look through some of the threads you can see me let is roll off my back, but later you keep doing it. I know you're all doing it on purpose, but when I'm bored at work and pissed off from idiots here it's nice to vent on you bastards.

Anyway, leave me alone and I'll be cool. I hope we can get past this and be BFFs again. I miss you.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Village Troll

Hopefully you'll get over it and work up. It will do you good and build character.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

Hopefully you'll get over it and work up. It will do you good and build character.
"and work up?"
Old 06-30-2011, 01:39 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1961ba427

I know this thread kinda died but what this guy was talking about exists for obd 2 cars. I use a scan gauge to calculate gas mileage and it helps me keep off the gas a lot. Also for everybody getting bad gas mileage look up hypermiling and although alot of greenies do it it actually works really well for averaging over 20 mpg with my LS1
Old 07-01-2011, 12:11 AM
TECH Regular

LOL at "LSWHO" and "SS RRR" ^^^
Old 07-01-2011, 06:42 AM
Village Troll

Hrm... and after all this and swapping from 3.73's to 4.56's and still get the same 17/12mpg... 05HD had some gems in this thread.

Quick Reply: Bad gas mileage is it normal???