LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

93 lt1 runs great when cold, awful when up to temp....ect?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 05:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 93 lt1 runs great when cold, awful when up to temp....ect?

Ive been trying to diagnose this problem forever, and I thought I had fixed it several times before but it keeps coming back. When the car is up to temp and under a load (lets say I'm cruising at 1.5k-2k rpm and i give it more gas because I'm about to go up a hill) the car will shake and hesitate, it feels like it loses all its power. Ive tried plugs, wires opti, 02 sensors, all that stuff. Ive recently been looking into other possible issues and people keep mention the coolant temp sensor on the drivers side of the engine block. Could this be the issue?

When I installed my headers I did bang the sensor itself, but the temperature gauge on the cluster always remained working, so I didn't think anything of it. Could the gauge remain working although the sensor is faulty?

As always I appreciate the help guys.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:05 PM
TECH Addict

The temp sensor on the drivers side head is only for the gauge and nothing else. There is another one on the water pump that is for the PCM
Old 11-13-2010, 05:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bigj2717
The temp sensor on the drivers side head is only for the gauge and nothing else. There is another one on the water pump that is for the PCM
Ive read that, however ive also recently read that people have hit it during a header install and then had their car run rough, and upon replacing it the issue was solved. Is that just purely coincidental?
Old 11-13-2010, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in the exact same situation.... Try the free/cheap stuff first - the coolant temp sensor in the bottom drivers side of the water pump. Cost $11 and took an hour to replace. You could space the coil/icm off the head w some 5/8 washers. If you haven't already, remove the entire egr and a.i.r. Systems. Those three are all things that could cause a lt1 to run bad once warm and disappear at around 2200rpm.

If I find time this weekend ill be deleting air/egr...then if that doesn't fix it ill be swapping plugs and wires then a new opti shortly after
Old 11-14-2010, 09:35 AM
Launching!

Wanted to update this in case anyone had the same problem and finds this with search. Like stated above, the problem was the coolant temperature sensor (on the water pump) Car runs amazing now, i had forgotten how damn fast this thing was.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:55 PM
Staging Lane

i am having the exact opposite problem. terrible at idle when cold, fine when warmed up (the thing tries to idle at like 200 rpm when cold)
Old 11-18-2010, 10:56 AM
Teching In

I have had this same exact problem w my 94 LT1 it started out as just here and there and then it progressively got worse I finally broke down and got a diagnostic check and was told that I have 4 injectors that are bad/going bad and from what I have figured out that when the injectors are cool they run good still but once they are warmed up thats when the problems start to hit I would definitely start with checking the small less expensive things first but that is my experience with the same exact problem.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

my car was doing the same thing the op car was doing running good when cold then like dump when up to temp my car is a 93 i cut the o2s car ran fine but i did not like that it was running rich so i decided to replace the water pump temp sensor and connected the o2s and the car ran great
Old 03-06-2011, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

thats the first thing I woulda replaced. sounds like ECT right off the bat, because the gauge and the PCM have 2 different reference points.

Quick Reply: 93 lt1 runs great when cold, awful when up to temp....ect?