LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

3" True dual exhaust all the way back... exploring some options

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 09:25 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3" True dual exhaust all the way back... exploring some options

Ok so currently my 93z28 has 3" true duals that dump right behind the front seats. No x pipe or anything currently, just two straight 3" pipes with Spintech bullet mufflers. With a 383 stroker / CC306 cam it is so ridiculously loud it sounds like just straight manifolds lol. It sounds really good, but too loud for cruising.

So I'm thinking about having a 3" header back system made. It would be true duals, no cats, X pipe, a quieter muffler, and it would be ran out the back instead of dumped.

With 3" true duals, you can't fit the pass side pipe over the axle right? So could I get away with routing both pipes over the driver side, or what would I have to do?

Then there's the mufflers. I want the car to still sound beast like it does now, but to get rid of the drone and noise inside the car as much as possible. Should I keep the Spintech mufflers and just run the exhaust all the way back, or should I look into some new muffs? I'm considering the Dynomax Bullets right now, but not sure what will be best for my setup.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Young camaro
Ok so currently my 93z28 has 3" true duals that dump right behind the front seats. No x pipe or anything currently, just two straight 3" pipes with Spintech bullet mufflers. With a 383 stroker / CC306 cam it is so ridiculously loud it sounds like just straight manifolds lol. It sounds really good, but too loud for cruising.

So I'm thinking about having a 3" header back system made. It would be true duals, no cats, X pipe, a quieter muffler, and it would be ran out the back instead of dumped.

With 3" true duals, you can't fit the pass side pipe over the axle right? So could I get away with routing both pipes over the driver side, or what would I have to do?

Then there's the mufflers. I want the car to still sound beast like it does now, but to get rid of the drone and noise inside the car as much as possible. Should I keep the Spintech mufflers and just run the exhaust all the way back, or should I look into some new muffs? I'm considering the Dynomax Bullets right now, but not sure what will be best for my setup.
Exhaust all the way back will quiet things down a lot, so don't worry TOO much about needing to muffle things. Muffler choice to get the right sound is important though.

Pretty much your two options are:

UNDER the axle exhaust or

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/index.c...&productid=280

You can't run both pipes over the driver's side. You MIGHT be able to run one over the driver's side.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:07 AM
Banned

This looks like exactly what I want, and it doesn't look like he has the panhard relocation either!
Old 11-22-2010, 11:14 AM
Banned

What if I go with 2.5" true duals... will they fit then? A lot of the exhaust guys are telling me 3" true duals is overkill for my car (around 450 hp).
Old 11-22-2010, 11:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

This looks like exactly what I want, and it doesn't look like he has the panhard relocation either!
It looks like they cut the panhard brace but I can't tell.

You can do 2.5" duals over the axle without the panhard relocation or any other fabrication (other than the exhaust itself - it's what I have). You could even keep your 3" setup where it is now and just add 2.5s to it all the way back... that's better than 2.5s all the way since exhaust cools as it gets farther away from the engine and doesn't need as big of a pipe.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Banned

Damn, that would be sweet (and cheap lol). Might not look the best, but sheeet.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

You can also run dual 2.5's both over the pass side and put the mufflers in the stock location. All that really helped quiet my car inside but it's still a monster outside. I really like to direct people to this thread, this is exactly what I did but I have 3" instead of 2.5 and I used 2 3" Dynomax bullets instead of the single magnaflow. I didn't have the room with the 3" pipes. Anyway, here's the link.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...cs-inside.html

BTW, I used to have dual 3" Spintech Pro Streets with x-pipe dumped under the car before the axle, I know exactly how obnoxious they can be!
Old 11-22-2010, 12:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah it definately looks like the panhard brace was cut in that setup. 3inch would be overkill, 2.5 would be more appropriate. I'm sure someone will chime in with the HP and loss ect. for each exhaust diameter setup.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Have a look in my garage at the green car. I'm running 3" to the X pipe and reducing to 2.5" from there. both tubes fit above the bar on the pass. side. I have a pair of glasspacks tucked in the old single muffler's spot. BTW, to put mufflers where that guy did, you'd have to beat in the floorboards under the rear seats quite a bit unless you ran spiralflows, glasspacks, etc. on either side of the torque arm & DS.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:50 PM
Banned

Nice setup Viscious, that system looks killer. So if I went 2.5" would I still have to route both pipes over the pass side or would a pipe fit over each side?

PM'd ya viscous
Old 11-22-2010, 05:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My old 3" duals ran out the back weighed 70 lbs... just something to think about.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going to be running 3" true duals exactly like the pic with one pipe over each side of the axle but I'm putting my stainless Magnaflow mufflers all the way at the rear of the car instead of under the rear seat area for better ground clearance.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
My old 3" duals ran out the back weighed 70 lbs... just something to think about.
that's way too serious for this thread...

The OP would be fine with 2 1/2" exhaust.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
that's way too serious for this thread...

The OP would be fine with 2 1/2" exhaust.
agreed, plus tons easier to make happen.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:56 AM
Banned

Thanks for the info guys, sounds like I'll be going with 2.5" true duals, x pipe, ran out the back and keeping the Spintech muffs. I have a feeling it will sound 100000x better.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Nice setup Viscious, that system looks killer. So if I went 2.5" would I still have to route both pipes over the pass side or would a pipe fit over each side?

PM'd ya viscous
The flexible brake lines are routed on the driver side. If you have a 4channel abs car then you have even less room on that side. Routing over the driver side is possible but it takes some brake line mods.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FYI you can run 3 inch duals over the passenger side if you find a good shop. But 2.5 would work for you OP
Old 11-23-2010, 01:29 PM
Banned

Cool thanks hitman. One last question - It looks like there need to be a ton of steep bends. Can this only be done with mandrel bends? Or will just about any crush bending shop be able to pull it off?
Old 11-23-2010, 02:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It would be best to use a shop with a madrel bender...If not then you can buy bent sections of pipe thru Jegs/Summit, etc. and cut/weld the bends as necessary. And you can run dual 3" pipes over the paseenger side if you use the BMR PHB relocation brace...It frees up a bunch of room. If you go one over each side you need to watch/relocate/heat shield the lines on the driver's side. The other option is a side exit, which routes the exhaust out behind the door and I don't think it looks bad...Here's mine...In the last shot you can see the exhaust tip...The side exit also makes the gas tank removal for fuel pump issues a breeze...And there's no drone with my muffler choice and it sounds awesome.

--Alan
Attached Thumbnails 3" True dual exhaust all the way back... exploring some options-undercar1.jpg   3" True dual exhaust all the way back... exploring some options-undercar3.jpg   3" True dual exhaust all the way back... exploring some options-undercar4.jpg   3" True dual exhaust all the way back... exploring some options-garageshot-2-.jpg  

Quick Reply: 3" True dual exhaust all the way back... exploring some options