LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Custom Exhaust Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 04:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Custom Exhaust Questions

I'm looking at getting some custom exhaust built for my LT1 Z28. I have Pacesetter longtubes (3" exit) and no cats. I also want dual exits...how large do you recommend the tips be? I'm looking for this style:

I don't really know what diameter would look good/tasteful.

Do any of you guys have some good pictures of your setups that I can show to the shop I talk to?
Old 11-23-2010, 08:08 AM
Teching In

ok dont.... your not a square body chevy jacked up...just dont!
Old 11-23-2010, 08:38 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tehmilz
ok dont.... your not a square body chevy jacked up...just dont!
I dont get this post at all.

Try a search. Hands down the best true dual setup i have seen on a lt1 camaro would be wrd1972. 2.5 all the way back. Stainless with mandrel bends ran over the axle out the stock location. The tips just come down to your tastes. Do what you like. I prefer the corsa clone tips over what you posted. Those can be pricey. There is a cheap alternative in knock off form. Check out afterthoughts auto.(sponsor here)

I would reccomend getting a couple quotes from some reputable shops in your area. Some guys have gotten quotes for in the ballpark of 500 and some upwards of 1200. Just keep your eyes open and dont spend unnecessary funds that could go to something else.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

yeah I like wrd1972's setup a lot, I think I'm gonna try to get a shop to do something pretty similar to that. idk if I'll do cutouts, but we'll see.

Do you recommend an H-pipe or an X-pipe?
Old 11-23-2010, 09:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by alone_and_insane
yeah I like wrd1972's setup a lot, I think I'm gonna try to get a shop to do something pretty similar to that. idk if I'll do cutouts, but we'll see.

Do you recommend an H-pipe or an X-pipe?
Im not the most educated person on the topic but from what i have read an x-pipe is better than an h-pipe. I believe it has to do with the firing sequence of our engines. Better exhaust scavenging. In other words the x flowing in sequence (one side is helping pull the other). Thats my understanding. Maybe some of the more experienced guys can correct any misinformation im spreading. lol
Old 11-23-2010, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

also, what would be your take on maybe doing 3" y-pipe to a single 3" pipe going over the axle? My car actually currently has a setup similar to wrd1972, but the shop did a crappy job on it (sorry, I don't have pics) and I'm looking for a redo. Maybe doing a y-pipe would be a bit easier for the guys to do.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by alone_and_insane
also, what would be your take on maybe doing 3" y-pipe to a single 3" pipe going over the axle? My car actually currently has a setup similar to wrd1972, but the shop did a crappy job on it (sorry, I don't have pics) and I'm looking for a redo. Maybe doing a y-pipe would be a bit easier for the guys to do.
Its all in your goals. I hope to end up with a true dual set up ran over the axle. In my opinion i would look into replacing the pipes that are there now. How bad is it now? What problems are you having with it? Clearance issues? Sorry if you posted it already but what size pipe is on it now? With duals and less than 500 hp anything over 2.5 is overkill and will just cause clearance issues and possibly vibrations if it is touching the undercarriage anywhere...
Old 11-23-2010, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never understood how come no one hasn't just purchased two Dynomax 2.5in replacement i-pipes (less than $100ea), welded them side by side. If you can modify a y-pipe to go into a flowmaster merge, then you can mate it up to the inlets. Over the axle into a 2-in, 2-out crossflow muffler, one 180deg and two 90's, short straight pieces to your tips and whamo, a true dual, over the axle exhaust for under $400 bucks... assuming you already have headers and y-pipe.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

the headers are 3" at the exit. The pipes immediately go down to 2.5" afterward. The driver's side pipe almost immediately bends over next to the passenger side pipe. Both of them go side by side (either 2.5 or 2.25") all the way to the rear axle, with no H- or X-pipe and one slightly lower than the other. They continue side by side over the axle, where the pipe goes down to 2.25". They then go to an Xlerator Performance muffler (never heard of that brand, is it any good?). I think the Xlerator muffler has inlets on opposite sides (versus the Magnaflow muffler wrd1972 used, which has both inlets on the same side and both outlets on the opposite side). So one pipe goes in right away and the other goes to the opposite side. Here, instead of using a curved section of pipe, the shop cut off a short piece and welded them together at like a 45* angle. Then it has the two tips coming out, which are a bit smaller than I'd like and kinda hang down from the rear bumper too far.

Probably my biggest problem is that the exhaust rattles under the car under hard acceleration (it actually hits the floorpan). Also, the muffler is a little quieter than I'd like.

Also, goals for my car are are >300rwhp. Only mods right now are CAI, LTs, and built 4L60E with 2800 stall.

Last edited by alone_and_insane; 11-23-2010 at 01:10 PM.

Quick Reply: LT1 Custom Exhaust Questions