LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Give me an idea of...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 04:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Give me an idea of...

the demand for an optical sensor-less method of running an LT1 PCM. Yes it will still utilize the optispark as a distributor, but I believe an aftermarket cap & rotor will not have any reliability issues unless some of you are running HVC II coils on a stock computer

The only "difficult" part of this was finding the right high quality electronics capable of delivering the very high resolution the LT1 PCM needs. I believe I have gotten the combination correct, and will begin testing on a local stock LT1 in the next month or so. This will be similar to the design of the original Electromotive kit from ~10 years ago, however my design will give both the high and low resolution signals for trouble-free sequential injection.

Another application I see for this is relatively low cost EFI retrofitting to a traditional sbc/bbc considering an LT1 PCM and harness can be had for less than 150 dollars. I have a compatible reluctor and pickup for a traditional distributor in the works, but not as far along as the opti replacement setup.

Tentative pricing for this setup will be ~550 dollars, which would include a new non-optispark base unit, msd cap/rotor, and all bracketry, sensors, reluctors, wiring harness, etc.

Pics and vids to come
Old 12-07-2010, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting!
Old 12-07-2010, 05:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
Another application I see for this is relatively low cost EFI retrofitting to a traditional sbc/bbc considering an LT1 PCM and harness can be had for less than 150 dollars. I have a compatible reluctor and pickup for a traditional distributor in the works, but not as far along as the opti replacement setup.
You talking about even running a gen 1 block in an lt1 car too?

I got ridiculed for even suggesting the possibility of doing this with something that would allow running an Lt1 pcm and gen 1 distributor or pretty much EXACTLY what you are wanting to do now look at this.

If so, I'd get one when I go to build my shortblock. Might as well get a 427 block or something and do this instead.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Subbed
Old 12-08-2010, 02:05 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSWHO
You talking about even running a gen 1 block in an lt1 car too?

I got ridiculed for even suggesting the possibility of doing this with something that would allow running an Lt1 pcm and gen 1 distributor or pretty much EXACTLY what you are wanting to do now look at this.

If so, I'd get one when I go to build my shortblock. Might as well get a 427 block or something and do this instead.
you could run a Gen 1 if you wanted too, and the cost of this setup for a Gen 1 with used pcm, harness and all sensors would come in less than 1k easily. TB would be much less than a quality carb... Sure you could do the 24x stuff, but if you don't need the capabilites (95% of people don't) why pay over 2x as much for a reliable setup?

If you're an LT1 guy this will pay for itself after a single opti failure
Old 12-08-2010, 02:08 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

very nice wicked........glad to see u did it..........i got side tracked and didn't have the time lol
Old 12-08-2010, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

you could run a Gen 1 if you wanted too, and the cost of this setup for a Gen 1 with used pcm, harness and all sensors would come in less than 1k easily. TB would be much less than a quality carb... Sure you could do the 24x stuff, but if you don't need the capabilites (95% of people don't) why pay over 2x as much for a reliable setup?

If you're an LT1 guy this will pay for itself after a single opti failure
I agree. Good stuff. Definitely interested.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:34 PM
TECH Resident

subscribed!! hell ya
Old 12-08-2010, 03:01 PM
10 Second Club

I'm emailing my files to the laser cutter tomorrow. Met the guy at the track on saturday and he was loving my car and the CAD files I had on my laptop His laser cutter is good to +/-.001" which should be perfect.

Mike,
Yea I've had the 1x cam sensor thing done for awhile, just waiting for some time to get it bench tested and on my car. I figured why not do an entire setup for the LT1 PCM if I have the packaging already figured out inside the opti.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:21 PM
9 Second Club

I'm emailing my files to the laser cutter tomorrow. Met the guy at the track on saturday and he was loving my car and the CAD files I had on my laptop His laser cutter is good to +/-.001" which should be perfect.

Mike,
Yea I've had the 1x cam sensor thing done for awhile, just waiting for some time to get it bench tested and on my car. I figured why not do an entire setup for the LT1 PCM if I have the packaging already figured out inside the opti.
how high do u think u can get it to rev and maintain ignition and fuel control accurately??
Old 12-08-2010, 04:46 PM
TECH Junkie

I think you have the entire LT1 scene looking at this thread and your word. You certainly have my at the edge of my seat! hope it works flawlessly!
Old 12-08-2010, 05:13 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
how high do u think u can get it to rev and maintain ignition and fuel control accurately??
With the signal conditioner I'm using... the hi res signal should be good accurate to >10,000, but obviously the stock style coil ain't gonna work up there. I've been talking to an electrical engineer who likes doing DIY efi stuff, and we've be thinking of a possible fix for the stock pcm 7000 rpm injector driver limit If that pans out I have a 7500rpm capable HR combination im working on as well.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im in Wicked. My other deal might be falling through so I'm probably gonna keep it real with the LT1 and buy a C5Z.

I could sell my Dynaspark and "partsladi" GM unit and pay for this.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Regular

after going through 5 opti's i'm definitely interested in this!

subscribed.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:35 PM
12 Second Club

Very interesting. Eager to hear more info and results
Old 12-09-2010, 12:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you can make it not only ditch the opti sensor but also remove the 7k rpm limit like you are attepmting then I can promise you a sale.

Was looking at the 24x kit for tuning and high rpm use like so many others, but if I could get a higher rpm ceiling while ditching the opti sensor and keeping the stock harness it would be cheaper and easier to install.

I have a near complete monster of an engine and still do not know how it will be controlled...carb/dizzy, 24x, or bite the bullet and go to a FAST.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Subscribed and excited about this!!

Am I understanding correctly that you are not only designing a set-up that retains the opti but without the sensor inside AND also one that uses a conventional style (through the intake) distributor? I would be highly interested in both!! Maybe more the latter, since you could run it in a GEN1 block using a modded LT1 intake so it would still look like and LT1, or you could run any SBC for that matter. Or even an LS based engine using a single plane efi, elbow, LT1 style TB, but instead of the usual wiring nightmares....just plug it straight up to the LT1 harness. Hhhmmm....dare I say BBC with efi using the LT1 style TB?

I know all those have been swapped into our cars before, but being able to without changing or building a wiring harness or buying a $2K - $3K dollar aftermarket efi system sounds too good to be true.

All the swaps I mentioned are just ideas, I would be interested just for peace of mind with opti failures. I refuse to invest a couple grand in a 24x setup. Not against anyone else using it, but it's not for me.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can almost guarantee one friend will be ready to buy as soon as it's ready. He had repeated opti failures a couple years back and I showed him DelTeq's website. He is not at all computer savy or an LT1 guru. Just owns and enjoys a 95 Z28...mostly for the T56. lol I recently had to tell him the $600+ ignition system I talked him into buying seems to be about obsolete since if he has a "brain" failure then it's junk because the company is dead or dormant. If your set-up is a one-man show deal and something happens to you (God forbid) will people who switched be in the same boat as DelTeq owners, or will service parts be something readily available??

I know 4 or 5 local people who would be interested as well.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:05 AM
9 Second Club

With the signal conditioner I'm using... the hi res signal should be good accurate to >10,000, but obviously the stock style coil ain't gonna work up there. I've been talking to an electrical engineer who likes doing DIY efi stuff, and we've be thinking of a possible fix for the stock pcm 7000 rpm injector driver limit If that pans out I have a 7500rpm capable HR combination im working on as well.
if u need any suggestions im a BSEE myself ....
Old 12-10-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know that updates won't be pouring in on a daily basis, but I hope this thread stays at the top just to keep the interest level high.

Quick Reply: Give me an idea of...