LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

You have got to be kidding me.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 06:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Makes sense why the car made less power on the dyno after the 24x conversion.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Short trips that don't allow the engine to reach operating temps don't burn off the ambient crankcase moisture effectively. If this is done on a daily basis long enough, you can begin to sludge up the crankcase and PCV system.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Veteran

wtf, not again. Wtf happened now?
Old 12-08-2010, 07:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alright so on a lighter note my pointer finger looks like a *****. Good to know.

Thankfully tomorrow is the last day of the semester. Just had sleet here for like two minutes, I decided I would quit for the night and do some algebra. I am in FL right?! Freezing rain ha!

Hey Rob this time it is my car.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Short trips that don't allow the engine to reach operating temps don't burn off the ambient crankcase moisture effectively. If this is done on a daily basis long enough, you can begin to sludge up the crankcase and PCV system.
Exactly! If you guys ever get the chance pull the oil cap off of a Dodge pickup with a Hemi and you will see all kinds of sludge build up like this (water basically runs off of the cap there is so much moisture in the motor)!

But OP you definitely have a coolant issue if its puddling like that!!! And I agree that third pic looks like a ***** from the side!!!! LOL
Old 12-09-2010, 10:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SpeedDensityZ
Makes sense why the car made less power on the dyno after the 24x conversion.
I also wonder if this was the reason Doc couldn't keep fuel trims on. He said the PCM was seeing unmetered air and was freaking out. Can some one explain to me what fuel trims do? I suppose I should have asked while up there, but I guess I just wasn't curious at the time.

I'm guessing it wasn't in too bad shape on dyno day as the car seemed to be running fine, but that night on the return trip I was about 10 minutes from home when it started overheating the first time.

Also the back of my block was wet yesterday, like coolant was coming out by cylinder #7. Guy that is going to check for flatness is also going to examine the head gaskets to try and determine failure.

Also the very first time running the car in the morning it doesn't want to hold a steady idle. I'm hoping this is related to this issue. If not I guess I'll have to see if I could leave my car overnight at EFI Alchemy after the holidays so they can see what it is doing on a freezing cold first startup. Rest of the day the car runs great just like the day it was tuned. So I'm not sure what is different at cold startup, except maybe it is related to this head gasket issue. So we will see early next week. Have class this afternoon, but going to go get a few hours into it here.

Last edited by camar0corey; 12-09-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

explain to me what fuel trims do
OBDI - I think calls it BLM and I think being 128 is perfect. OBDII refers to it as STFT or LTFT (short/long term fuel trim) and from what I've seen uses a percentage where 0% is perfect. If its not 128 or 0% that means that there is some fuel correction going on. There's some acceptable tolerance on that but, if its way off, well, obviously the computer/engine will be struggling.

Sucks about your ride... at least you know what your doing. I dont know what all this talk about dicks is about but, in the second photo, Looking at the sludge in the center of the cap, I can see the head of a chick holding her hand in front of her face with one boob and nipple showing below her arm.. clear as day! ha!

Last edited by hyperzone; 12-09-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whytryz28
Last pic I thought it was a *****
Me too, i thought we were getting spammed for something. In fact, i left my laptop on with that pic up and my girlfriend asked what the f*** website i was on
Old 12-09-2010, 01:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never seen a car with hot caramel on the dipstick that didn't have a bad head gasket or cracked block. Hope for the bad head gasket.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by hyperzone
in the second photo, Looking at the sludge in the center of the cap, I can see the head of a chick holding her hand in front of her face with one boob and nipple showing below her arm.. clear as day! ha!

I looked
Old 12-09-2010, 01:33 PM
11 Second Club

Another engine that the merv worked his magic on bites the dust.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ~BuMps AloT~
Exactly! If you guys ever get the chance pull the oil cap off of a Dodge pickup with a Hemi and you will see all kinds of sludge build up like this (water basically runs off of the cap there is so much moisture in the motor)!

But OP you definitely have a coolant issue if its puddling like that!!! And I agree that third pic looks like a ***** from the side!!!! LOL
I have also seen that in the dodge pickups. Its grosss. But ive never seen it like that on a lt1.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

do you have an engine oil cooler? about a few weeks ago i had the same buildup in my radiator but the engine oil was perfectly fine at the dipstick...it turned out that the oil cooler i had was the sandwich adapter that had an internal cooler instead of an external cooler and turned out that it was mangled up inside..i think they only made these oil coolers from 93-95 and then gm ditched it cause it was inefficient
Old 12-09-2010, 02:54 PM
Banned

I feel bad for anyone who's ***** is that skinny and weird looking lol. You're all
Old 12-09-2010, 03:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Young camaro
I feel bad for anyone who's ***** is that skinny and weird looking lol. You're all
haha my semon is gunky and discolored like that too
Old 12-09-2010, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
haha my semon is gunky and discolored like that too
CumPoo.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:15 PM
Self-Admitted Scammer

That is exactly what my '89 Ranger 2.9 beater trucks oil cap looked like. I bought 100 quarts of .99 cent/qt oil, and changed it every 200 miles. Drove it for 6000 miles like that until it spun a bearing. If you are going to throw away the motor anyhow, why not just keep driving it until it dies
Old 12-09-2010, 04:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah no oil cooler. Sweet only one class left tonight, then I can get busy tomorrow. So far I succeeded in a chunk of skin missing off my middle finger and broke my fuel line disconnect tool. Fuel lines didn't come off in the process by the way.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Yeah no oil cooler. Sweet only one class left tonight, then I can get busy tomorrow. So far I succeeded in a chunk of skin missing off my middle finger and broke my fuel line disconnect tool. Fuel lines didn't come off in the process by the way.
i swear i always misplace those fuel disconnect tools...i wish there was a keychain one lol
Old 12-09-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by speedracer2536
Do you drive your car short distances? if so this will happen and it is not coolant... check the dipstick.. if the oil looks like that then yes you have issues.. if not then dont worry about it
This is true I have not driven my car for a good distance in a while. I was thinking of this thread so I pulled my oil cap off and sure enough I had some condensation, but no where near as much as shown in the pics.

Quick Reply: You have got to be kidding me.....