LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

what kind of oil should i use

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if u change your oil 3k miles, it dont matter what kind of oil brand to use, their is not such thing is best oil, its all about opinion, stick with your manuafactory weight and pick any oil u want. If u change oil every 3k any oil will do just fine, event walmart super tech, if u extent the oil change say 5k, then go with synthetic. Oil filter, Wix, pureone have no problem event 5k miles oil change.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

^^^ while i agree with you i also disagree. Hell Meijer makes their own motor oil! Same with dollar general or food mart lol. and yes im talking about motor oil not cooking oil.

I say use a good brand, but as far as good brand goes in my world its mobile 1 or castrol, Valvoline not so much, but i have ran it befor.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trilkb
^^^ while i agree with you i also disagree. Hell Meijer makes their own motor oil! Same with dollar general or food mart lol. and yes im talking about motor oil not cooking oil.

I say use a good brand, but as far as good brand goes in my world its mobile 1 or castrol, Valvoline not so much, but i have ran it befor.
let me correct myself, stick with wellknow brand, castrol, valvoline, pennzoil , quaker state, mobil 1.....
Old 12-14-2010, 10:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Valvoline VR1 20w50 in my 383 and like it so far. I use to run Mobil 1 synthetic 5w30 in my stock motor with great results
Old 12-15-2010, 07:36 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1C3 MAN
Its got 104k on it.

And i guess i could watch my oil pressure at WOT but i would rather see the road in front of me just in case lol.
if the pressure just randomily dropped and you've confirmed it with a mechanical gauge......a rebuild may be in ur future......you can prob compensate with a slightliy thicker oil but at this point its just a band aid......bigger bearing clearances = less oil pressure........do the math lol....

Originally Posted by 05HD
I run Castrol GTX 20w50 in the summer and 10w40 in the winter in my daily driver.

Track or "sport" cars get Valvoline VR1 20w50 or straight 50 from me. One of our fleet cars was going through synthetic (tried them all) at the rate of 3+ quarts per day, switched it to 50 weight VR1 and it only eats a quart a day now.
a quart per day!!!!! dammnnnnn lol...thats prob an issue lol....

Originally Posted by my1994z28
I am using Valvoline VR1 10w30 race oil.Before the motor was installed,did a comparrison on the dyno,and the VR1 oil made 5 more hp than the other 2 oils we tested.
Wow thats pretty crazy, what were the test parameters? What engine was used and was the DA corrected and the ECT and IAT temps matched on each pull???

Originally Posted by ~BuMps AloT~
I use Valvoline VR1 20w50 in my 383 and like it so far. I use to run Mobil 1 synthetic 5w30 in my stock motor with great results
Yep this makes the most sense so far......my stock ls2 gto gets 5w30 mobil and my race motor gets a special blend of Valvoline VR1......I've always used valvoline i've neva had an issue with it........in heavy load and heavy conditions a good oil isn't life saving but it is a good idea......and i'll tell u i been using that Valvoline High Mileage in my 175k mile GMC pickup and it works mint.....burns maybe a quart every change if that.....
Old 12-15-2010, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
a quart per day!!!!! dammnnnnn lol...thats prob an issue lol....
Not really, considering the application. It is a linerless aluminum block V10 with 70,000 miles on it and it gets ridden like a rented mule (because it is).
Old 12-15-2010, 07:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
Yep this makes the most sense so far......my stock ls2 gto gets 5w30 mobil and my race motor gets a special blend of Valvoline VR1......I've always used valvoline i've neva had an issue with it........in heavy load and heavy conditions a good oil isn't life saving but it is a good idea......and i'll tell u i been using that Valvoline High Mileage in my 175k mile GMC pickup and it works mint.....burns maybe a quart every change if that.....

Yep! And the VR1 is cheaper then the mobile 1 was to!!! I guess the cost balances out, because I change the oil in my car about every 1500 miles or so on the 383.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ~BuMps AloT~
...I change the oil in my car about every 1500 miles or so on the 383.
Really? Why?? How many miles on the motor???

I've changed my oil 4 times in the first 1500 miles or so and will probably dump a fresh change in there next spring (car is stored now). But that's only b/c it was a brand new engine. After this it will be every 5k.

Your oil must be clean as a whistle after just 1500 miles... you could almost take that oil and dump it into another vehicle!
Old 12-15-2010, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

i run castrol 10-40, an wix or ac delco just depends which part store i have time to go to. oil pressure is 20-25 idle, and 40psi cruising around, recently noticed at WOT the oil pressure goes to 60ish then at about 5-7k rpms it drops to 40psi wtf? brand new motor, maybe 2800 miles on it.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DVS LT1

I've changed my oil 4 times in the first 1500 miles or so and will probably dump a fresh change in there next spring (car is stored now). But that's only b/c it was a brand new engine. After this it will be every 5k.

Your oil must be clean as a whistle after just 1500 miles... you could almost take that oil and dump it into another vehicle!
I have apporx. 4000 miles or so on it. And yes it is very and I mean very clean! I am crazy when it comes to maintaining my toys. If it is remotely dirty I change it. Also I don't have a pcv system anymore, which allows for a excessive moisture build up in the motor.
I change the oil in my 4 wheeler every 3 rides regardless (It looks like new when coming out). Changing the oil is the cheapest maintenance you can do, and I believe that having a excessive schedule is a good thing. Also all of the miles I put on my car are extremely hard miles. Like I said its my baby and I just want to treat her right!
Old 12-16-2010, 07:34 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DVS LT1

I go even less than that on mine.......about once every month and a half ill change mine......i dont really put on a lot of mileage so i change it every 35 passes or so......maybe every 700 miles of street driving or so ill change it.....i only put 2k a year on or so

Quick Reply: what kind of oil should i use