LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

cheep bolt ons

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010 | 07:31 PM
10 Second Club

Well you can always go the cut out route if your worried about it being restrictive.
and pretty sure the stock Y won't work with a set of Long tubes.
My list would be in this Order

CAI
LT's full exhaust
Gears
Tune ( some people want extra money to retune stuff like gears this could cause me to change who tunes my car for it not being part of the free "retune")
Old 12-24-2010 | 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

I think we're almost agreeing to the same thing. When I had my LT1, my though was that if I was going to go Long tubes, I was going to do it right - clean up the heads, new O2s, quality LT (stainless), highflow cat and a quality catback, tune, etc. That's hard to do with a $1500 budget, even if you do it yourself, and as you know, going LT usually means you're going to break something in the process = unexpected costs of at least a hundred or so.

I'm old school and had a hard head when I was younger and working on cars, meaning I learned a lot of stuff about cars the hard way, like the guy in one thread who was going to only replace head gasket on one side only! The stuff I mentioned - shocks, gears, brakes - once it's done, you never have to go back (except for maybe the gears if you go high Hp = new rear end) and it will easily run under $1500, maybe enough to get a good tune and a hi flow muffler. I'd especially go this route if my car was a daily driver.
Old 12-24-2010 | 08:13 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah I got where you coming from. I'm more of your "budget builder" I picked up my Hooker Super comp racing headers and pre-made dual system for 325 bucks. And you can find used headers for good prices. But if my pockets were a bit deeper I'd have kooks or LPP's on the car but hey I'm a young guy who wants every single .1 out of his car and when you save money in curtain places you can go some where else with the money and start a different mod
Old 12-27-2010 | 11:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LT1John
would you would rather spend your money on shocks and springs, rather than long tubes, intake and gears???
Depends. If its a daily driver, good tires and suspension will benefit him a lot more than actual horsepower. Sometimes traction can win a race over horsepower, especially when in the street. But then again, im mostly talking about higher horsepower cars, not bolt ons. LTs are also a good choice, just depends on his plans for the car.

Quick Reply: cheep bolt ons