LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car back from the mechanic - STILL won't shift while started

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 06:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That MC looks ghetto fabbed and there is no way I would use it. Dont you have a totally stock MC you recently bought?
Old 02-12-2011, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wrd1972
That MC looks ghetto fabbed and there is no way I would use it. Dont you have a totally stock MC you recently bought?
I do, but since this one is so F'ed up, I'm going to use it to make an adjustable one similar to this:

Originally Posted by funnelone

The only problem is I can't figure out what he used for that upper part of the rod. It looks like some type of "Thread-All" with a section you can crimp at the end. I've never seen ANYTHING like that though.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Counted Out
I do, but since this one is so F'ed up, I'm going to use it to make an adjustable one similar to this:

The only problem is I can't figure out what he used for that upper part of the rod. It looks like some type of "Thread-All" with a section you can crimp at the end. I've never seen ANYTHING like that though.
Lol yea I've never seen anything like that before. If you can get your hands on another MC that hasnt been toyed with, you should try to make your own.

Here's the link to the write-up I used https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...r-writeup.html

Its pretty straight forward and easy to do, only basic tools needed except a 3/8”x16 die.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

So the master cylinder was beyond repair and even too messed up to turn into an adjustable one. I had an extra one, but the mechanic apparently tried to make that one adjustable and messed it up just as bad.

I'm thinking of splurging on a Tick Adjustable Master Cylinder. Thoughts?
Old 02-25-2011, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, have you replaced the flywheel yet?
Old 02-25-2011, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 05HD
So, have you replaced the flywheel yet?
From all the research I've done, it wouldn't do anything. Unless someone has any thoughts on why it might?
Old 02-25-2011, 11:36 PM
TECH Regular

It won't matter whether you splurge on the Tick adjustable MC or if you create your own, just get an adjustable MC in that car and end your misery.

Slapping a new flywheel in couldn't hurt, but it will do little more than ever-so-slightly change the angle of your clutchfork.

You're whole problem is that your hydraulics are incapable of pulling your pressure plate away enough to prevent it from dragging on the friction plate. Since you've already replaced your entire hydraulic system, your hydraulics aren't the problem. A worn out clutchfork can potentially cause your problem, but that's EXTREMELY unlikely.

The problem with your aftermarket clutch, I'm 99% sure, is that the friction plate is slightly thicker than OEM, and because of this your pressure plate needs to be pulled slightly furthur than stock distance to prevent dragging/disengagement problems.

After a thousand or so miles of driving, your friction disk will loose some of its thickness from being compressed under the pressure plate, which might reduce or alleviate your disengagement problem, but until then you'll need to use an adjustable MC to give your clutchfork that extra needed push.

So the most logical solution to this problem would be to buy an adjustable MC or convert your own.

Sorry if it seems like I'm repeating myself man, but this (or replacing everything aftermarket with OEM parts) is the solution to your problem.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:29 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont know how much it would help but i had a similar situation at the track... i couldnt put it in any gears if the car was running but i could start it after i put it in gear. what it was on mine was the pressure plate bolts loosened up and half of them came out. the pressure plate was bent and warped from this and on top of that, one of the pressure plate bolts got lodged behind the clutch fork so i couldnt press it down all the way.

the other thing is we put a oem clutch in a 93, the bolt and stand they had holding the clutch fork on was wrong. i cant remember if they forgot the stand or if they had the fork flipped around but when the car started in the air the tires spun all the time.

another idea the clip that the fork uses to pop over the little stand that holds it to the trans if you had a race clutch in it the first time and it bent it due to the extra pressure needed and you put a easier clutch in maybe that could do it?

make sure the fork actually slides over the TOB, i managed to miss it and hook it behind the TOB instead of on it
Old 02-26-2011, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tbag_skywalker
It won't matter whether you splurge on the Tick adjustable MC or if you create your own, just get an adjustable MC in that car and end your misery.

Slapping a new flywheel in couldn't hurt, but it will do little more than ever-so-slightly change the angle of your clutchfork.

You're whole problem is that your hydraulics are incapable of pulling your pressure plate away enough to prevent it from dragging on the friction plate. Since you've already replaced your entire hydraulic system, your hydraulics aren't the problem. A worn out clutchfork can potentially cause your problem, but that's EXTREMELY unlikely.

The problem with your aftermarket clutch, I'm 99% sure, is that the friction plate is slightly thicker than OEM, and because of this your pressure plate needs to be pulled slightly furthur than stock distance to prevent dragging/disengagement problems.

After a thousand or so miles of driving, your friction disk will loose some of its thickness from being compressed under the pressure plate, which might reduce or alleviate your disengagement problem, but until then you'll need to use an adjustable MC to give your clutchfork that extra needed push.

So the most logical solution to this problem would be to buy an adjustable MC or convert your own.

Sorry if it seems like I'm repeating myself man, but this (or replacing everything aftermarket with OEM parts) is the solution to your problem.
The only problem I have with putting an OEM clutch in is that the clutch I took out was a Spec Stage 2 and it worked completely fine until wearing out (prematurely). I'm waiting to hear back from Tick on whether or not they make a LT1 adjustable master cylinder and hopefully that will solve the issue.

It still really confuses me that this is happening with two clutch sets and that the Spec had worked fine. It makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong with the installation - but everything goes in extra smooth. The only thing I can even think of is that when you line up the disc and pressure plate - they don't seem to be straight. But the alignment tool easily slides in and out and the transmission slides flush with the bellhousing without needing to use bolts to pull it close.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:27 PM
TECH Regular

The only problem I have with putting an OEM clutch in is that the clutch I took out was a Spec Stage 2 and it worked completely fine until wearing out (prematurely). I'm waiting to hear back from Tick on whether or not they make a LT1 adjustable master cylinder and hopefully that will solve the issue.

It still really confuses me that this is happening with two clutch sets and that the Spec had worked fine. It makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong with the installation - but everything goes in extra smooth. The only thing I can even think of is that when you line up the disc and pressure plate - they don't seem to be straight. But the alignment tool easily slides in and out and the transmission slides flush with the bellhousing without needing to use bolts to pull it close.
I do find it a little odd that your two new aftermarket clutches are giving you the same problem, must be a very good coincidence. But even though the original clutch, the Spec2, worked fine before, it doesn't mean that Spec's new clutches are the same.

In fact I know for sure they get updated and changed every so often-- because I was told by a Spec tech guy that the older disks are not interchangeable with the new ones. So there is a tiny chance that if you bought another Spec clutch, you'd run into the same problem as you have with the CC and RAM clutches.

I also find it odd that when you align your clutch upon installation that it doesn't really look lined up. I remember from doing my numerous clutch swaps that if I looked straight though to the pilot bushing, it always lined up perfectly with the friction disk splines, despite the fact that the alignment tool you get is a cheap piece of plastic. Have you thought about getting your hands on an extra T56 input shaft? I've heard of some guys doing that-- using an actual metal input shaft to line things up, instead of the plastic thing.

Oh and in case Tick can't help you with an adjustable MC, I know for sure that McLeod makes one for our cars. The description on their website says its for LS1 f-bodies, however, the LS1 MCs are exactly the same as the LT1s. Its the slaves that are entirely different. McLeod is expensive, but top notch stuff.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

FINALLY!

I bought a Tick Adjustable Master Cylinder and literally had to adjust it as high as it would go - BUT I CAN SHIFT THROUGH ALL 6 GEARS!

The only problem is I notice the clutch pedal is shaking/wobbling quite a bit. What could this be?
Old 04-03-2011, 09:45 PM
TECH Regular

FINALLY!

I bought a Tick Adjustable Master Cylinder and literally had to adjust it as high as it would go - BUT I CAN SHIFT THROUGH ALL 6 GEARS!

The only problem is I notice the clutch pedal is shaking/wobbling quite a bit. What could this be?
HOLY SHITBALLS ITS FINALLY OVER WITH!! Congrats man, its been a long battle.

Just drive the car till the clutch break-in period is over and hopefully the shaking will go away. I know my Spec clutch vibrated and wobbled a lot when I'd start driving normally in first gear after I installed it. Its normal, just part of break in process with the organic and kevlar disks.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

So I've been reading more about the clutch vibration and it seems like I may have an issue. People say "normal chatter" should only occur when first taking off, but that if the pedal is vibrating at a dead stop - something else is wrong.

Where should I look first?

Quick Reply: Car back from the mechanic - STILL won't shift while started