LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt1 performance

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt1 performance

whats up guys i have a 95 T/A and im just wondering what mods should i do to it? as of now the only thing done to it is the K&N FIPK kit but that came on it when i bought it but initially i was thinking about some longtubes to flowmasters but i know headers are a real bear to put on these lt1s aside from that i was also thinking lt4 intake swap? mind you im on a budget and from what i heard these lt1s are real wallet burners but any mods you guys could suggest would help a bunch
Old 01-17-2011, 09:19 AM
Launching!

To start what's your budget? The lt4 intake swap will be a waste of money seeing that your car is almost stock. Third are your self working on your car? with a help of a friend you can install the headers. and now the most important:

DO A SEARCH, what you are asking have been asked a million times. if you search you will find it on here-ltxtech-google-yahoo-camaroz28- magazine articles. just look around and you will find something for your budget depending on your goals for the car
Old 01-17-2011, 09:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by curacaoz28
To start what's your budget? The lt4 intake swap will be a waste of money seeing that your car is almost stock. Third are your self working on your car? with a help of a friend you can install the headers. and now the most important:

DO A SEARCH, what you are asking have been asked a million times. if you search you will find it on here-ltxtech-google-yahoo-camaroz28- magazine articles. just look around and you will find something for your budget depending on your goals for the car
DO A SEARCH

DO A SEARCH

what you are asking have been asked a million times

what you are asking have been asked a million times

Get it?
Old 01-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Banned

lol LT1's are wallet burners? That's a good one

You can get yourself a set of longtube headers and full exhaust for under 1k.

Best bang for the buck is a torque converter and/or gears, plus a tune. It's also a good idea to start with suspension mods first, while they don't add HP they WILL make your car much faster and overall more enjoyable to drive.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

got to love the "do a search" police.
Depends on what you want out the car. if it is an auto, as said a stall is going to be the best bang for the buck mod besides nitrous. longtubes arent that bad, but unless you just really like the flowmaster sound, they dont perform the best on these cars. something like magnaflow work and sound great. also dont do an LT4 intake unless you already have it, save that money for something else. cam, bolt-ons, and stall or gear can get you well into the 12 second range.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You said the "LT4 intake" the LT4 intake wont fit LT1 heads unless one or the other is modified and then it is still a complete waste of time because internally it is the same as the late LT1 intakes which actually makes it SMALLER than the early LT1 intakes.

The LT4 heads and cam kit should very strictly only be considered an option if you want to keep the car 100% GM. For the same money you can have a LOT more power with ported LT1 heads and a proper cam.

Do not even consider much in the way of engine modification unless you are doing headers, yes headers suck to deal with but they are critical to performance with anything other than a turbo.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Best bang for your buck at the moment would be longtubes, nitrous, tune and suspension. Check the classifieds (although a bit difficult to navigate these days), there are tons of deals out there on things you could use.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:42 PM

thank you for your suggestions gentlemen it looks like ill be investing in a pair of longtubes in the future and the lt4 intake wasnt my idea a buddy of mine recommended it but now i know to steer clear of that situation i dont want to get too crazy with it i dont really want to make it a 10 second car just slight mild upgrades i actually was doing research and saw a set of hooker darkside headers for around 100 bucks cheaper then the chrome plated ones
Old 01-18-2011, 05:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Headers should be ceramic coated or preferably stainless. Black paint on headers stops rust during storage and shipment, should never be installed that way.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:49 PM

Thumbs up

thank you i didnt know that
Old 01-18-2011, 06:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just picture this
all these guys who say "Do a Search" were blessed with knowing everything about Computers & Cars

If they took the same time it took to type "DO A SEARCH" they might have been able to help a fellow LT1 owner out.

But anyways, I'd say the gears converter tune route would be the best bang for your buck right now.

Now as for the 10 sec part with SLIGHT mild upgrades you might be shooting for a lil to high. Full bolt on car is good for mid to low 12's depending on weight but for 10's its either lodas of nitrous or H/C/I package if you want to do it N/A. And and LE or AI package might get you to the 10's N/A but nothing a lil nitrous can't help
Old 01-18-2011, 07:37 PM

thanks for the advice im NOT looking to make it a 10 second car i just want it to have a little more oomph
Old 01-18-2011, 07:43 PM

i mean the car itself is plenty fast but im just looking for a little more ponies i havent had it dyno tested yet but the very least i want to do is exhaust and headers and other small stuff the bulk of my money is going to my other project car and my t/a is the daily driver for now so i cant afford to go hog wild
Old 01-18-2011, 08:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lawhead
Just picture this
all these guys who say "Do a Search" were blessed with knowing everything about Computers & Cars

If they took the same time it took to type "DO A SEARCH" they might have been able to help a fellow LT1 owner out.
Ditto. Think about it...are there ANY original questions for these cars?

Here's my suggestions...spend your initial money on making sure the car is running right by doing basic maintenance stuff like plugs, wires, filters, etc. You may want to replace the water pump if the car has a lot of miles. Reason why I say do this is because it's also a great way to inexpensively learn about your car. For example, replacing the plugs will give you an idea of what it's going to take to do other upgrades like headers. Then go for the easy bolt ons like catback, shocks, maybe LS1 brakes and driveshaft. All of these are easy to do, you'll notice the changes immediately and you can do them yourself with simple tools. Just doing these things is going to run you close to a grand. Also toss in a few cheap appearance mods to personalize and help you "bond" with your car!

Congrats, have fun, and milk this forum for all it's worth!
Old 01-18-2011, 08:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawhead
Just picture this

But anyways, I'd say the gears converter tune route would be the best bang for your buck right now.

Now as for the 10 sec part with SLIGHT mild upgrades you might be shooting for a lil to high. Full bolt on car is good for mid to low 12's depending on weight but for 10's its either lodas of nitrous or H/C/I package if you want to do it N/A. And and LE or AI package might get you to the 10's N/A but nothing a lil nitrous can't help
Doing a search before an inquiry is the reason why my post count is so low yet I'm on this forum all the time
Old 01-18-2011, 09:12 PM

Cheap Guy thank you that has to be the best answer ive seen so far the car has 82k on it now which isint bad for the year and i only paid 3k for it i already changed the plugs and wires and what a bear of a job that was so i can only imagine getting the stock manifold bolts out..... yikes

anywho thats all i was looking for small stuff that will give me better performance but wont leave me broke-er then what i already am the main reason i asked in the first place is because i have to gut and redo the interior the previous owners butchered it again thank you for a sensible answer
Old 01-18-2011, 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by badnewsLT
Cheap Guy thank you that has to be the best answer ive seen so far the car has 82k on it now which isint bad for the year and i only paid 3k for it i already changed the plugs and wires and what a bear of a job that was so i can only imagine getting the stock manifold bolts out..... yikes

anywho thats all i was looking for small stuff that will give me better performance but wont leave me broke-er then what i already am the main reason i asked in the first place is because i have to gut and redo the interior the previous owners butchered it again thank you for a sensible answer
No prob.

"A wise man learns from his mistakes, an even wiser man learns from watching someone else go broke!"
Old 01-18-2011, 11:31 PM
Launching!

A good tune up, Long Tubes, a nice catback exhaust, and a 3000 + Torque Converter would be decent first mods if your looking for a little more power.

Along with the bolt on goodies, i would invest in sub grame conectors, shocks/springs, and a decent set of tires so the car can plant the extra power to the pavement.

You may not be able to do all these mods at once. But save some cash, get one mod knocked out, and save for the next.

Click on this link, it has some good information in it that you can read over when you get the chance. >>>> https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...ewbie-faq.html
Old 01-19-2011, 01:52 PM

thank you for the link ill check it out
Old 01-19-2011, 03:58 PM
Launching!

No problem. It should give you a good idea about some general LT1 mods, and it may also help you figure out what your first step should be.

Quick Reply: lt1 performance