LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Opti Eliminator preview...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 11:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
I wouldn't want to spend all that money and have to worry about the opti at higher rpms. Couple hundred more and you are at an efi conn. setup with 8 coils.
1,000+ is a couple hundred? .

Opti as a dist has no issues, its the bullshit sensor that is the problem. This system along with a modded PCM to get >7kRPMs and I would be golden .
Old 02-18-2011, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a great deal Wicked and it's priced just right and it's a great alternative for those not wanting the EFI Connections kit.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not only that but the last 2 cars that went with a 24x on here dyno'd considerably lower after the install.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Puck
1,000+ is a couple hundred? .

Opti as a dist has no issues, its the bullshit sensor that is the problem. This system along with a modded PCM to get >7kRPMs and I would be golden .
If you pay $1000 for efi then you suck at life or are ballin

Opti bearings **** out all the time from rpm, but you know more than me. I see it as pointless to retain the opti and only have 1 coil. Hell LTCC is cheaper than this and does the same thing plus 2 step and timing retard. What the **** do I know though....
Old 02-18-2011, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by white84z
Not only that but the last 2 cars that went with a 24x on here dyno'd considerably lower after the install.
You can't seriously blame that on the 24x parts.

This will be a nice, low cost alternative to the EFI connection stuff if it pans out. Biggest tradeoff is still being stuck with an ancient PCM.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Opti bearings **** out all the time from rpm, but you know more than me. I see it as pointless to retain the opti and only have 1 coil. Hell LTCC is cheaper than this and does the same thing plus 2 step and timing retard. What the **** do I know though....
Can I get an address where the tree that grows LS1 PCMs, coils, coil brackets, spark plug wires and hand made wire harnesses is located? I want to go and pick some, maybe get some seeds so I can plant more and retire from my day job.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Opti bearings **** out all the time from rpm, but you know more than me. I see it as pointless to retain the opti and only have 1 coil. Hell LTCC is cheaper than this and does the same thing plus 2 step and timing retard.
You said few hundred more for 24x, that is horribly inaccurate. Please show me a rundown of swapping to the LS1 EFI for a "few hundred" over $550 .

I've thoroughly priced it out since I was planning on running it, and what you are arguing is not feasible.

Not to mention that by the time you have an engine where you should start looking at opti alternatives and alternate computers, one grand is a drop in the bucket. Not much more then a decent cam and set of lifters for a SR build.

What the **** do I know though....
Good question.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:08 PM
10 Second Club

I wouldn't want to spend all that money and have to worry about the opti at higher rpms. Couple hundred more and you are at an efi conn. setup with 8 coils.
The price would include a new MSD cap and rotor, I haven't heard of a single MSD rotor failure on any of the message boards I frequent

There is nothing out there that eliminates the optical sensor... nothing.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Id be interested as well. No more race car, but like to have it just for the peace of mind.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:12 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
The price would include a new MSD cap and rotor, I haven't heard of a single MSD rotor failure on any of the message boards I frequent

Distributor with points yo.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Except a standalone or EFI connection. As discussed, both big bucks so your price point will be the key to your success.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Very cool, did not know it included a new cap/rotor.

If you can get this to work along with the modded computer as a kit for under a grand you would have a huge hit. I can say for sure that I'd get one.

What harness mods would be needed? I'm assuming that at least the first few versions would be more cut/splice then plug and play.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:35 PM
10 Second Club

it'll be plug n play into the factory wiring harness. The hardest thing about this swap would be exactly centering the crank wheel on the balancer (working on a register sleeve of some sort) and correctly setting the airgap on the crank trigger. The opti will come fully assembled, loctite (red or green buyers preference ), etc. with the cam trigger inside. There will be a small box for the signal conditioner (about 1"x1"x.5") that *might* require some adjustment to make each person's PCM happy although i'll be presetting them.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

Anxiously awaiting a few test car results, but I'm definitely interested.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Puck
You said few hundred more for 24x, that is horribly inaccurate. Please show me a rundown of swapping to the LS1 EFI for a "few hundred" over $550 .

I've thoroughly priced it out since I was planning on running it, and what you are arguing is not feasible.

Not to mention that by the time you have an engine where you should start looking at opti alternatives and alternate computers, one grand is a drop in the bucket. Not much more then a decent cam and set of lifters for a SR build.

Good question.
Repin your own harness, buy used coils/brackets/harness/computer for a couple hundred, win?

Since when does engine level have to do with opti failure? I've never heard of one of those going on a stock motor

Alas, I yield to your overwhelming expertise and return to the rock I crawled out from. I shall look for a drop in the bucket too unless you have some to spare?

Where did I say rotor? You get bearing end play which triggers the self-destruct mode. I don't remember seeing an opti sensor on my buddy's efi setup

Don't get me wrong here I think its fair pricing and cool that you are trying to develop something for us but I really don't see what you are fixing and wonder what issues you will run into if someone's balancer hub wasn't installed correctly for tdc.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:12 PM
10 Second Club

its fair pricing and cool that you are trying to develop something
great post. clearly your friend has a 24x, and you've had an abundant number of bearing failures from turning your motor incredibly hard. Not sure what else you've brought to the thread so far? It is what it is, I'm not looking for blind appreciation or pats on the back, hell I don't even have a stock pcm or working opti myself. But lets be realistic about the 24x, LTCC, SDI, Delteq, etc.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

Repin your own harness, buy used coils/brackets/harness/computer for a couple hundred, win?

Since when does engine level have to do with opti failure? I've never heard of one of those going on a stock motor

Alas, I yield to your overwhelming expertise and return to the rock I crawled out from. I shall look for a drop in the bucket too unless you have some to spare?

Where did I say rotor? You get bearing end play which triggers the self-destruct mode. I don't remember seeing an opti sensor on my buddy's efi setup

Don't get me wrong here I think its fair pricing and cool that you are trying to develop something for us but I really don't see what you are fixing and wonder what issues you will run into if someone's balancer hub wasn't installed correctly for tdc.
Simple solution for you. Don't buy it.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

Looks great man. Keep going with it. Great spirits have always encountered violent oppostion from mediocre minds.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What the **** do I know though....
Nothing. Go away.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:14 AM
On The Tree

Very interesting, glad I haven't pulled the trigger on the 24x yet. What would the price point be for a Gen 1 SBC setup? I assume the Gen 1 setup would use a Vortec distributor for the cam signal like the 24x?

Quick Reply: Opti Eliminator preview...