LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

need lt1 short block

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need lt1 short block

for weeks now ive been trying to get into the sales department but its not letting me in there. i have no idea why but **** it im gonna post in here anyways.

buddy of mine just got a '96 firebird pos and threw a rod and needless to say theres a couple of hefty holes in the block. so yeah, let me know whos got a lt1 shortblock in the milwaukee, chicago, central wisconsin area....
Old 02-23-2011, 09:07 AM
Teching In

stock short, rebuilt, or performance???
Old 02-23-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude you really only got like two options.

1. Go to a junkyard and pick up a used motor and run it. I know this isn't the badass option, but this is a way better option that building a motor you can't afford, that is only half finished, or has poor build quality.

2. Buy a shortblock from a company like Clayton (Their prices are good) and if your heads and other stuff are still good, transfer that over, and maybe upgrade springs, camshaft, and some new lifters so that you can get a bit more performance.

The reason I wouldn't buy a shortblock from an average joe is that they won't back up their work and you don't know for sure what kind of parts or labor went into it. I'll use an example shortblock that I have right now.

Block ~200
Pistons/rings (JE forged) 510 bucks
Cranshaft (Eagle forged) 670 bucks
Rods (Eagle H beam forged) 440 bucks
Bearings (Clevite H Rods, Mains, Camshaft) 150 bucks
Main Bolts (ARP) 25 bucks
Boring ~100 bucks
Assembly (checking tolerances, etc) ~ 200

So to get my all forged shortblock it cost around $2300 that I can think of off the top of my head. Probably cost another couple of hundred bucks here or there.

With a company like clayton selling it for $2999 and backing it up, that might be the best bet for you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-3...Q5fAccessories
Old 02-23-2011, 07:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Call Corey at Clayton Racing. They will put together a QUALITY engine for you, not some mystery motor you may find elsewhere...

www.claytonracing.com
Old 02-23-2011, 07:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah MYSTERY MOTORS for sure! Many have bought alleged 383s only to find it isn't anything but a 350! I had a friend that bought a MYSTERY 383 that ended up being an ABORTION gone bad 3 holes were .040 and the rest were std..1800.00 education!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-23-2011, 09:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I might have something high mileage for you. Not anything I would go slapping heads and cam on but would make the car drivable and reliable.

PM me if you don't find anything better.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by noice
Dude you really only got like two options.

1. Go to a junkyard and pick up a used motor and run it. I know this isn't the badass option, but this is a way better option that building a motor you can't afford, that is only half finished, or has poor build quality.

2. Buy a shortblock from a company like Clayton (Their prices are good) and if your heads and other stuff are still good, transfer that over, and maybe upgrade springs, camshaft, and some new lifters so that you can get a bit more performance.

The reason I wouldn't buy a shortblock from an average joe is that they won't back up their work and you don't know for sure what kind of parts or labor went into it. I'll use an example shortblock that I have right now.

Block ~200
Pistons/rings (JE forged) 510 bucks
Cranshaft (Eagle forged) 670 bucks
Rods (Eagle H beam forged) 440 bucks
Bearings (Clevite H Rods, Mains, Camshaft) 150 bucks
Main Bolts (ARP) 25 bucks
Boring ~100 bucks
Assembly (checking tolerances, etc) ~ 200

So to get my all forged shortblock it cost around $2300 that I can think of off the top of my head. Probably cost another couple of hundred bucks here or there.

With a company like clayton selling it for $2999 and backing it up, that might be the best bet for you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-3...Q5fAccessories
i realize that, but i wanna put my faith into the fellow lt1 guys here. im sure somebody has something to offer.

lets not forget i found my COMPLETE LT1 motor for $150 on Craigslist but there is nothing on CL, ATM. thats all im really looking for is a used stock shortblock for $100-$200.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I might have something high mileage for you. Not anything I would go slapping heads and cam on but would make the car drivable and reliable.

PM me if you don't find anything better.
thats what im looking for. pm sent.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Clayton Racing
stock short, rebuilt, or performance???
stock short

Quick Reply: need lt1 short block