LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8
Old 05-10-2016, 03:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevoret Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

ls1 master cylinder on our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 master cylinder on our cars?

my master cylinder is leaking a little so i need to replace it, i found a really nice one off of a 02 TA and was wondering if it would work? the boosters are the same from 93-02 but is the master cylinder? i dont have abs or any of that crap if that makes a difference. thanks!
Old 03-09-2011, 10:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 118 Likes on 92 Posts

Ok Brake Master..lol..

I think one of them has a Sensor on them..other than that I dont see any difference in them.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reservoirs where different on some but yea if you have rear disks it should work just fine. Did you make sure it not just the cap?
Old 03-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by the_merv
Ok Brake Master..lol..

I think one of them has a Sensor on them..other than that I dont see any difference in them.
ok thanks!
Originally Posted by jaycenk
The reservoirs where different on some but yea if you have rear disks it should work just fine. Did you make sure it not just the cap?
yep i do, and yeah its coming right out of the back... i re painted my engine bay and its all bubbled under there so took it off and can tell there is fluid where it gets pushed out..
Old 03-09-2011, 11:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LS1 brake master cylinder will NOT directly bolt up the rear brake line but it will bolt to the booster. The rear LS1 line fitting is larger on the LS1 master and the LT1 line will not fit it without making a whole new rear line from the LS1 MC to the prop valve.

Also the flow valving is different on the rear circuit of the LS1 MC compared to the LT1 MC. You can expect the pedal to feel a little different if you do this but I assume it would work.

Views of the rear flow circuits. LT1 on top LS1 on bottom.

Front flow valving is the same on both.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:19 PM
11 Second Club

Good call.

I have one from my 95 Z28 if ya need it..
Old 03-09-2011, 04:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wrd1972
LS1 brake master cylinder will NOT directly bolt up the rear brake line but it will bolt to the booster. The rear LS1 line fitting is larger on the LS1 master and the LT1 line will not fit it without making a whole new rear line from the LS1 MC to the prop valve.

Also the flow valving is different on the rear circuit of the LS1 MC compared to the LT1 MC. You can expect the pedal to feel a little different if you do this but I assume it would work.

Views of the rear flow circuits. LT1 on top LS1 on bottom.

Front flow valving is the same on both.
thanks for the info, i actually am replacing the whole brake lines on the car.. it used to be a 4 channel rear and now i have a 8.8 so i dont need 2 brake lines going from the back. so in that case it wouldnt matter right? because the boosters are the same iirc.. i had alot of problems last year with my brakes, they would go soft sometimes out of the blue.. but felt great most of the time.. so i ordered all new lines for the whole car and replaced the rubber hose with a braided stainless steel line.. i dont want the pedal to feel different lol...
Good call.

how many miles on it? mine only has 110k but is leaking some how.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is it leaking where the master and booster meet each other? cause a little seapage is normal, is the pedal sponge or anything?
Old 03-09-2011, 07:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Good call.

Damn you.
I was going to offer him my old one. OP if Merv cant deliver, PM me for info on mine.

Originally Posted by 96TransAmboosted
Is it leaking where the master and booster meet each other? cause a little seapage is normal, is the pedal sponge or anything?
Totally disagree. A little seepage IMO is not normal and indicates the rear o-ring is allowing leakage and therfore the MC is shot.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:29 PM
Launching!

yes.. ill take a pic tomorrow of the back of the master and you can see alittle bit of brake fluid.. and there is a spot under my master on the booster that was all bubbled.. but like i said the brakes felt fine 89% of the time and once and a while you would step on it, and it wouldnt be there. .
Old 03-10-2011, 12:36 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Damn you.
I was going to offer him my old one. OP if Merv cant deliver, PM me for info on mine.
Go for it..I dont know where it is..

Prob got rid of it in my "cleanout"..lol
Old 03-10-2011, 06:39 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

LT1 master cylinders have a residual pressure valve to help overcome the springs in the rear calipers. LS1 master cylinders do not have this.

Using a LS1 master cylinder with LT1 rear brakes will cause your brake pedal to almost drop freely the first inch before "catching". This is because the rear caliper springs will pull the pads all the way back without the residual pressure. I experienced this when I went back to LT1 rear brakes on my '99. I had to use a LT1 master cylinder. I used the LS1 reservoir to accommodate the level sensor and made up my own line to get past the one different fitting.

The master cylinder in 4th gen F-Body cars must match the rear brakes.

I went to the LT1 rear brakes to clear 15 inch drag wheels.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:14 AM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an LS1 master cyl in my 1996 LT1.
I dont feel any difference in terms of pedal travel, but I have deleted my ABS with the SJM kit and have the proportional adjuster in the line going to the rear brakes.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
LT1 master cylinders have a residual pressure valve to help overcome the springs in the rear calipers. LS1 master cylinders do not have this.

Using a LS1 master cylinder with LT1 rear brakes will cause your brake pedal to almost drop freely the first inch before "catching". This is because the rear caliper springs will pull the pads all the way back without the residual pressure. I experienced this when I went back to LT1 rear brakes on my '99. I had to use a LT1 master cylinder. I used the LS1 reservoir to accommodate the level sensor and made up my own line to get past the one different fitting.

Good info. I put LS1 rear and front brakes on my car last year and am still running the LT1 master. The brakes never quite felt right so while i currently have the engine out and am doing the ABS delete I planned to install a new LS1 master. Hope this makes a difference.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:23 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Paul Bell

thanks for the info, well i am using cobra brakes.. so i guess ill be good?? lol i ended up getting that 02 ws6 master off ebay..(he took my offer of 7 bucks lol.. 20 with shipping. so i guess ill try it, and if i have problems then ill just pull my hair out) lol but seriously i will have NEW brakes on the whole car, with proportioning valve so hope everything works..
Originally Posted by RGSS
I have an LS1 master cyl in my 1996 LT1.
I dont feel any difference in terms of pedal travel, but I have deleted my ABS with the SJM kit and have the proportional adjuster in the line going to the rear brakes.
good info thanks! i also have a proportioning valve so hope that helps me out.. like i stated above, i will have ford brakes in the rear lol.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Totally disagree. A little seepage IMO is not normal and indicates the rear o-ring is allowing leakage and therfore the MC is shot.
Then how come 50% of cars with brand new or not have Fluid in the piston seal area in the back? how come most brand new master cylinders come with a paper thats states that some brake fluid by the rear piston seal area is normal and does not indicate a leak. Im looking for the paper right now. I install masters all the time and seen the paper many many times. Thats why i then asked if the pedal was spongy or not, the pedal could be perfect never had a problem and have a very slight fluid around the seal area. I have seen guys change 3,4,5 of them just to still have fluid back there. the pedal does not drop at all or feel diffrent at all either. But im sure im wrong and your right and sorry to waste your time.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Launching!

Then how come 50% of cars with brand new or not have Fluid in the piston seal area in the back? how come most brand new master cylinders come with a paper thats states that some brake fluid by the rear piston seal area is normal and does not indicate a leak. Im looking for the paper right now. I install masters all the time and seen the paper many many times. Thats why i then asked if the pedal was spongy or not, the pedal could be perfect never had a problem and have a very slight fluid around the seal area. I have seen guys change 3,4,5 of them just to still have fluid back there. the pedal does not drop at all or feel diffrent at all either. But im sure im wrong and your right and sorry to waste your time.
i hope your wrong(even though i know your right) just because i don't want it to happen again i just painted my engine bay noooooooooooo thanks for the info, if it happends again i wont be one of those guys that buys 5 master cylinders and everyone does it..
Old 03-10-2011, 06:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Then how come 50% of cars with brand new or not have Fluid in the piston seal area in the back? how come most brand new master cylinders come with a paper thats states that some brake fluid by the rear piston seal area is normal and does not indicate a leak. Im looking for the paper right now.
Shitty manufacturing and wide tolerances in critical areas especially with cheap Chinese junk.

But im sure im wrong and your right and sorry to waste your time.
Dont get butt hurt, I clearly stated it was my opinion. I am confident in saying that GM engineers would not consider this normal because the introduction of even a minor amount of air into the lines might have an impact on braking performance or at least at a minimum, will introduce moisture into the brake fluid which will result in it deteriorating quicker than it should. Again this is my opinion.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was just informing the OP that a little may be normal, and a new master may not fix the fluid back there. But he then posted that most of the time the pedal is great and every so often he hits it and its not right, THATS A PROBLEM. But if it was always great and never a issue then the seapage wouyld be fine. As for GM tolenaces and air in the system, Well the fluid is pushed out while the car is runing with booster pressure applied to it and a very little amount if any from time to time gets pushed out, there is not enough atmospheric presure for air to entire the system. If air does happen to enter then the pedal changes and there becomes a issue most of the time every time you hiot the pedal. Sometimes it only effects it a little and otheres alot. And my *** dont hurt either. Just hate the fact that people post and opionion and not have all the facts to back it up.misleads people

Quick Reply: ls1 master cylinder on our cars?