LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Anyone know who makes the summit opti?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 10:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know who makes the summit opti?

Long story short I need to buy another opti after the last one worked for maybe 200 miles. I am going to order it thru summit w/ next day shipping. They have AC Delco's for a decent price...but anyone know who the manufacturer is on their summit brand opti?
Old 03-09-2011, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not sure who, but the one that I took off of my old car was identicle to the Chandler unit that replaced it. It only had one rotor screw in it to.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:24 PM
Launching!

The one I'm replacing is a Chandler unit that literally has 200 miles on it tops. I don't know why I'm even considering buying anything other than a new AC delco unit - this will be my third time installing an opti since the last time I put gas in the car lol.

If no one posts back in the next 15 min saying summit brand = AC delco, I'm ordering the delco part haha.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Summit does not= AC delco. It doesnt have the Mitsubishi sensor that makes the AC's so great. If you order the summit it will be the same thing as a chandler but more expensive.

Almost all aftermarket optis are probably built in the same factory in China with the exeption of the MSD.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:44 PM
11 Second Club

Go msd quality piece. I ordered one the week they came out. They forgot to install the rotor.lolbut sent me two I guess to make up for it.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Do you not have a warranty on your old one? And whats the price on the Summit unit? They are all from China anyway so who gives a ****
Old 03-09-2011, 11:18 PM
Launching!

IronOutlaw - thanks for the info man. I'm so fed up with the amount of money I've had to dump into this car in the last couple weeks...but I went ahead and ordered the AC delco unit so I can hopefully start enjoying the car again as the weather warms up.

lifeisgood - haha that's pretty awesome that they sent you two..
Old 03-09-2011, 11:22 PM
Launching!

I bought the cheaper CMS option...the one without the lifetime warranty because it was $45 cheaper or something ($90 vs $135 I believe). Anyway the one I bought may have a warranty but I have no interest in going with another Chandler unit.

Total with next day air shipping from Summit on the AC Delco unit was $417. I just want something that works....and after this week (I'm on spring break), I won't have the time or a place to work on anything.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm all for saving a buck but the track record of every opti unit not from AC Delco is way too spotty. only brand I'll put on my car personally.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was under the understanding that Summit Optis were basicly the ACCEL optis.

I have seen the inside of the ACCELL optis and the pick-up and the disc have GM part numbers on them.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

didn't hear many people have too much luck with the Accel opti's, construction might be the problem not components if that is the case.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:28 AM
Launching!

That makes sense that the summit opti is the accel opti...I'm sure some people have had better luck with them than other units but it's just not worth it IMO to go with anything other than an actual AC delco opti...I completely regret purchasing the Chandler opti.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Although I might be a little hesitant to spend a lot of cash on a limited production part from a small supplier, what about the Dynaspark unit? It certainly isn't cheap, but wasn't it supposed to be the Opti to end all Optis?
Old 03-10-2011, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

What about the opti's on ebay? I see one I havent seen. Dragon Fire I think its called. Anybody use one of these or know anything about them? They claim you can advance the timing. Is that even possible with the opti? I mean the way it functions through the pcm in all.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

A new one of these came with the car I'm working on:

http://www.topstreetperformance.com/...optispark.html

The engine I acquired had a 42k mi OEM that's in great shape but a screw broke off in the housing at a feather's touch when I tried to open it. So I threw in the TSP, with the Delco as a backup (figure I'll get around to getting that one screw extracted sooner or later). For grandma's Roadmaster, just about anything's fine. Most of the rest of the LT1 / L99 world doesn't spin these things past 1400RPM (1/2 crank speed, remember...)
Old 03-10-2011, 11:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by mhayes2344
That makes sense that the summit opti is the accel opti...I'm sure some people have had better luck with them than other units but it's just not worth it IMO to go with anything other than an actual AC delco opti...I completely regret purchasing the Chandler opti.
I understand your situation, I really do. However, you are making that where you hate a cheaper opti option. Its not a cheap opti's fault you have "nowhere and no time." Me personally, I'd take the cheaper opti and have to change it every year or two. It really wouldnt be a big deal. All optis will fail it's just a matter of when. So, the way I see it, if you take it up the *** on an ACDelco unit, then it craps in 2 years you are gonna be sick. Meanwhile, if my Chandler bites the dust in the same amount of time I really wont give a ****. And, an opti change takes about 2 hours for a competent mechanic. You don't exactly need a dedicated place to make the swap.

Now, if you have a bad opti, that will be replaced under warranty. Why not exchange it, then sell the new one to offset the price of your precious ACDelco? Seems like common sense. But you're just so disgusted with chandler....
Old 03-11-2011, 03:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I understand your situation, I really do. However, you are making that where you hate a cheaper opti option. Its not a cheap opti's fault you have "nowhere and no time." Me personally, I'd take the cheaper opti and have to change it every year or two. It really wouldnt be a big deal. All optis will fail it's just a matter of when. So, the way I see it, if you take it up the *** on an ACDelco unit, then it craps in 2 years you are gonna be sick. Meanwhile, if my Chandler bites the dust in the same amount of time I really wont give a ****. And, an opti change takes about 2 hours for a competent mechanic. You don't exactly need a dedicated place to make the swap.

Now, if you have a bad opti, that will be replaced under warranty. Why not exchange it, then sell the new one to offset the price of your precious ACDelco? Seems like common sense. But you're just so disgusted with chandler....

I fully understand what you're saying and that was my thought process behind purchasing the Chandler Opti. For $90 it's hard to beat...but I was expecting it to work at least a few thousand miles. I'll have to look into exchanging it. Something else I should mention is that Wednesday this week is when I realized the Chandler Opti was not working properly (this was after tightening the rotor screws).

At that point, I needed a new Opti. Here were my options:

a) Autozone/Advance - I believe it was $150ish for Cardone or similar (no cap). Advance had an AC Delco unit for $580ish

b) Order another Chandler Opti or exchange my old one. I would not have received the new one in time. By the way I paid for expedited shipping the first time and if I recall it took 5 days to get to me.

c) Order an AC Delco opti thru summit w/ overnight shipping. This option seemed to make the most sense for me given the situation. Granted, I would have been much happier (as would my bank account) if I could've gone with another Chandler Opti.

As far as the difficulty of swapping them out, that's no problem. It's actually quite easy. The problem I have is I go to school several hours from my parents house and I really don't want to be that guy working on his car in the apartment parking lot - and I'm not willing to pay a shop the amount of money they want to install one.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:23 AM
TECH Addict

i had good experience with the GM Perf Parts opti. maybe i should say luck but made my impala run like a champ!!
Old 03-11-2011, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mhayes2344
At that point, I needed a new Opti. Here were my options:

a) Autozone/Advance - I believe it was $150ish for Cardone or similar (no cap). Advance had an AC Delco unit for $580ish

b) Order another Chandler Opti or exchange my old one. I would not have received the new one in time. By the way I paid for expedited shipping the first time and if I recall it took 5 days to get to me.

c) Order an AC Delco opti thru summit w/ overnight shipping. This option seemed to make the most sense for me given the situation. Granted, I would have been much happier (as would my bank account) if I could've gone with another Chandler Opti.
D) Autozone - Brand NEW opti with cap and rotor for $219.99 + tax. You will have it next day, and the warranty can be honored at any of their 4,000 stores. If it's not in stock, they will almost always have it next day with free shipping to the store. I doubt it's any better than anyone else's "cheap" opti, but it seems like the best budget option to me.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have used 3 different optis over the last 18 years of my LT1s, Autozone on my 93 stock style, worked fine except when you drove through a puddle. Switched to a GM 95 up style (whole conversion) on the 93 and it lasted for 9 years until I sold the car.

I bought my 97 after this and the stock opti was junk, replaced with a GM opti and it lasted 3 years, replaced it with a Autozone opti, lasted until the timing chain upper gear shear off the cam bolts and ruined the opti (2 years) then I took a chance money was low and bought the Accell opti, still have it no problems.

Quick Reply: Anyone know who makes the summit opti?