LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My new Turbo LT1, **Pics Inside** have a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Cool My new Turbo LT1, **Pics Inside** have a few questions.

Hey guys,

I just purchased a 97 Camaro. It is white with black accents, black wheels with a polished lip. It’s in excellent shape with 120k on the car.

Its sitting on 315/35/17 NT555R Drag radials. Once I hit boost 1st spins pretty bad, 2nd isn’t too bad, 3rd is a whole lota fun.

The motor has less than 7k miles on it. It was rebuilt with all forged internals and a turbo was added. The PO did all the work. He converted the system to OBD 1 so he could tune it himself. He said he tuned it for 16psi and was right around 600hp. Then turned the boost down to 8psi and tuned it again and ended up around 485hp, this was on E85 at that time.

It is now on 91 pump gas, and stupid me didn’t ask him if he tuned it for pump gas, but it runs great and the AFR seems good. Light throttle cruising (very light load) it’s around 13.5 – 14. As it starts to boost it goes down and at full boost it’s at 11.3 – 11.6. Sometimes when I’m using the motor to decelerate it will jump to 22.5 I immediately pulled it out of gear and let it idle. I have since then started using my breaks, they are cheaper to replace.

The rockers are a little noisy and could probably use some adjusting. I plan to do that this weekend (Via IOEC method). I have also developed an exhaust leak, or at least I hope that’s what it is. I want to go through this car and freshen it up, IE: New spark plugs, new fluids, and new belt. I was thinking of getting some roller rockers but I have no idea what I should get and if they are worth the price.

It has a twin disk (ill get the info tonight) clutch, with an aluminum flywheel. It CHATTERS like hell! Is this normal? Or is it a sign of someone not doing something right?

Here in a few weeks I want to get the required cable to connect the computer to my laptop so I can do some logging and tuning of my own. I can't leave anything alone for more than a few days. I have to make something a little better every day. Does anyone know where I can get the cable?

The FIRST thing I want to do is upgrade the brakes! As they are they suck to say the least. I thinking of getting the C5 mounting kit and making a trip to the junkyard or use my $200 credit at Rock Auto and buy them rebuilt. I will get a set of black zinc plated slotted and dimpled rotors from the WS6 store. OR, I was thinking of getting Aerospace Brake Components set of 4 piston calipers with all hardware, but its fronts only and wouldn’t know what to do for the rears. Any suggestions there?

The car has been lowered quite a bit. It has (will look it up when I get home) springs. He did not like the rear springs as they sat to high for his liking. So he cut the stock springs and put them back in there. I want to get a set of springs that are good for road racing.

I want to road race this car every once in a great while. Probably 3 or 4 times a year.

So I do have a few questions if anyone can help.

Any suggestions on what sparkplugs to use and the gaping for 8psi boost? Same ones that are used at 16psi boost?

If I did get the Aerospace Brake kit would my stock booster work GOOD with the 4 piston calipers? If I where to buy their Manual Brake Conversion would it be ok for daily driver use? Pros and cons?

What are the advantages of Roller Rockers? Are they worth the price? If so what kind should I look at getting? 1.5 1.6? The cam is a custom grind and will have to look at the paperwork to see what the specs are. I have no idea if the springs are stock but I would guess they are not as it ran good at 16psi boost.

Sorry for the long post but wanted to provide as much information as possible. I will be adding more to it as I go on. Maybe even turn it into my build thread.

Thanks for any and all help guys!

Last edited by Max78; 03-21-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:14 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would get some LS1 front brakes, I run some Hawk HPS pads in them and it works good if you aren't looking for a lightweight option.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AKM makes the cable http://www.akmcables.com/
Old 03-18-2011, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Every car in the world goes max lean when coasting, its just pumping air, no fuel.... Totally normal

He didn't even have roller rockers on the car?
Old 03-18-2011, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Boost is fun, isn't it? What kind of suspension do you have? My car DEAD hooks over ~30mph with 643hp @ 15psi. Pretty much all suspension done. Same tires as you but 275/40/17. I also have an automatic though. Spinning out can be fun at first, but you need to help that thing hook.

AKM Cables is where I got my OBDI cables.

You might want to look into Koni shocks and Sam Strano springs.

I would find out exactly what valvetrain you have now. Solid roller? You may have some nice pieces already. But regardless you want some good dual springs for boost and non-self aligning rockers.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info guys. I look into the 98-02 Calipers, and see about getting that cable.

Originally Posted by gregrob
Every car in the world goes max lean when coasting, its just pumping air, no fuel.... Totally normal

He didn't even have roller rockers on the car?

Thanks for telling me about the Max lean. Lol I feel stupid but this is the first car I have had with an AFR gauge and wasn’t to sure.

I made an ***(of myself)umption on not having roller rockers. I have not pulled the valve covers yet to look. I plan to do that today or tomorrow.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ralls
Boost is fun, isn't it? What kind of suspension do you have? My car DEAD hooks over ~30mph with 643hp @ 15psi. Pretty much all suspension done. Same tires as you but 275/40/17. I also have an automatic though. Spinning out can be fun at first, but you need to help that thing hook.

AKM Cables is where I got my OBDI cables.

You might want to look into Koni shocks and Sam Strano springs.

I would find out exactly what valvetrain you have now. Solid roller? You may have some nice pieces already. But regardless you want some good dual springs for boost and non-self aligning rockers.

Yes boost is extremely fun!

As for the suspension its on stock coils in the back cut down for about a 1.5” - 2” drop. I have no idea what shocks are on it. The front are Eibach springs and I have the matching rears ready to be put in.

As for not hooking I live and Tucson, AZ and there has been a little wind lately and the roads I have opened it up on where a bit dusty. I’m sure if I were to get onto some good pavement it would hook great, but all the good stuff is in residential areas. I don’t mess around in there.

I will pull the valve covers off today and look at the rockers, and see if I have hydraulic lifters or not.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the brakes you need:
Calipers
Spindles
Brake line from caliper to frame
I also used the Ls1 harness from senors to the main harness connectors.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

Tucson, AZ?

maybe we'll meet one day
ill be moving back to Tucson in May Hopefully

keep us posted

Old 03-19-2011, 05:00 PM
TECH Regular

congrats on the purchase! one of my buddies knows the guy that owned the car, he was telling me about it a couple weeks ago. i saw the ad when he posted it, but then it was sold a couple hours later. you snatched it up pretty quick!
Old 03-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Staging Lane

Lol Ya I did, I bought it on impulse but don't regret it yet. . . I have a bad habit of doing that, but it was what I wanted. Now I just need to pay my dad back who loaned me the money, almost there!

I was searching craigslist every day and had 3 cars bought out from under me just to be relisted for $1500 - $2000 more.

There are a few things that I do not like about it that I plan on redoing, but that will have to wait till I get a beater.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:50 AM
Staging Lane

Well I decided to replace my leaky header gasket over the weekend. I had no idea what heads are on the car so I figured I would just take the exhaust gasket off to see what I needed. Well I found that It needed a 1.5” x 1.625” D hole. The one that I took off of the vehicle measured 1.5” x 1.5” D hole. The heads are aluminum I will have to see If I can’t get casting numbers off of them so I can identify them.

While I had the headers off I went ahead and replaced the sparkplugs. Autolite 104’s are what came out of it so that’s what I put back into it. The plugs looked nasty and in need of replacement I’ll get some more pics today.

Here are 2 pics of the exhaust gasket.

This is what I want to replace the old gasket with but the thin area is what blew out and I don’t want that to happen again. I have not been able to find a gasket that has more material around the front and back bolts.

This is where the gasket failed, right where it thinned down.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

Get some percy's gaskets or some good felpro's and use quality header bolts like ARP's. You will be suprised what just a good header bolt will do and not back out on you every couple heat cycles.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats on the car. Any details on the turbo setup?
Old 03-21-2011, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

Reading threads like this makes me glad I'm building my car. No offense, but it must suck not knowing exactly whats done to the car.

The LS1 front brakes work great, just don't skimp out on pads. I installed autozone gold pads and slowing down from 100+ will just smoke the brakes in a couple of seconds. I'm buying the rotors and pads from brakemotive, drilled and slotted rotors and pads for $165.

Good luck figuring out the car, and post some pics of it.

Congrats on the purchase
Old 03-21-2011, 12:02 PM
Staging Lane

I just placed an order for some Felpro 1406 (Linked) manifold gaskets. It already has 3/8”-16 ARP SS bolts with 5/16” heads.

I also ran into a disaster. My cousin was helping me and threaded the rearmost header bolt into the aluminum head with a ratchet. . . Yes he did cross thread it, I’m going to try and run a roll forming tap through it and last resort see if I can get a helicoil installed with it still in the car. . . .

I will get some pictures of the turbo setup. It is not the most efficient design but it allows me to keep the AC and all other accessories. I plan to redesign it as soon as I get my money back up in the bank, then I will buy a shorter radiator and push everything forward and remount the turbo away from everything.

The passenger side manifold wraps under the car to the driver side and connects to the rear of the driver side header. From there it flows into the turbo that is in front of the driver side head.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
Reading threads like this makes me glad I'm building my car. No offense, but it must suck not knowing exactly whats done to the car.

The LS1 front brakes work great, just don't skimp out on pads. I installed autozone gold pads and slowing down from 100+ will just smoke the brakes in a couple of seconds. I'm buying the rotors and pads from brakemotive, drilled and slotted rotors and pads for $165.

Good luck figuring out the car, and post some pics of it.

Congrats on the purchase

I would have to agree. I love building my own stuff as well, I build my 2 Jeeps from the ground up. I was on the lookout for a nice low millage camaro that I could build so I could say hey! Look what I built with my own 2 hands! I never intended to buy a built vehicle, but after I rode in this car and felt the power I was hooked. I have ridden in an 05 GTO, C6, Dodge Challenger, and my old 400AWP TT Stealth. This thing just blows them away.

I’m the kind of person that can’t leave anything alone I have the bug.

I will check into the LS1 brakes. I guess anything over dual piston calipers is overkill? I plan to get these http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=3514 Sloted and Dimpled, not drilled. I don’t want to mess with cracking rotors.

With these pads http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...roducts_id=847 front and rear.

Edit: Also another thing I noticed. The car temperature hovers around 170° and falls to 160° when driving. I’m guessing he has a 160° thermostat in it. I plan to change that out to a 180° thermostat as I don’t think it a good idea to run it that cool all the time. Any thought on that?

Last edited by Max78; 03-21-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

Keep the 160* stat in there, you tune is probably setup for it and if you make the switch to a 180* you will need to retune.

I wasn't dissing on the fact that you bought a modded car, but I couldn't imagine trying to figure out everything that was done. Almost one of those things that it needs to be tore apart to see what you actually have.

Good luck with the car, I'm sure its a blast to drive
Old 03-21-2011, 03:42 PM
Staging Lane

Yes it defiantly a blast to drive. I found some good sections of road (Saturday) and opened it up on them, when the tires hook in second it goes like a bat out of hell.

Here are some low quality pictures.

Here is a pic of the Driver side header. not a great way to make it work and I plan on reding it one of these days.

Tons of room so i figured I would go ahead and replace my sparkplugs while i was in there. They looked NASTY!
Old 03-21-2011, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks pretty good man. Glad you're liking it so far!
I've got Autolite 3192's in mine, I think they're a step colder than the 104's IMO.
Relocate those fuel lines!
As far as header gaskets goes, I'm using the Percy's layered aluminum Seal-4-Good gaskets and Stage 8 locking header bolts. It's an AWESOME combo. Installed once, never had to re-tighten them, they never back out.

Quick Reply: My new Turbo LT1, **Pics Inside** have a few questions.