LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I found another Bowtie Block (GM Race Shop)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay....I know the obvious reply will be "why the (bleep) would anyone want to do that?" but looking at the pics and thinking about the differences got me to thinking.....if you are running an electric water pump (for a normal sbc) and not needing that part of the front timing drive, couldn't you run an opti on a GEN1 block with nothing more than an LT1 timing set and a custom timing cover that had the correct opening for the opti to seal into?
Old 02-23-2013, 11:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
Okay....I know the obvious reply will be "why the (bleep) would anyone want to do that?" but looking at the pics and thinking about the differences got me to thinking.....if you are running an electric water pump (for a normal sbc) and not needing that part of the front timing drive, couldn't you run an opti on a GEN1 block with nothing more than an LT1 timing set and a custom timing cover that had the correct opening for the opti to seal into?
LT1 timing cover wont bolt right up to an SBC, it uses an extra bolt with different spacing. Also, the SBC cam would need the correct length dowel pin and correct nose on the cam (retainer plate instead of thrust bearing).

Would be a whole bunch of bastardizing for a step backwards in reliability.

Last edited by Puck; 02-23-2013 at 11:24 PM. Reason: *more explanation
Old 02-24-2013, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck
LT1 timing cover wont bolt right up to an SBC, it uses an extra bolt with different spacing. Also, the SBC cam would need the correct length dowel pin and correct nose on the cam (retainer plate instead of thrust bearing).

Would be a whole bunch of bastardizing for a step backwards in reliability.
I know it would require a custom timing cover and you would lose reverse cooling. You'd have to rig up a remote thermostat and redrill the intake as well just like when people use the LT1 intake to replace tuned port intakes on 3rd gens. I don't think it would be that hard for someone to machine the opening into one of the many available aluminum sbc timing covers so the opti could mount up. The dowel length isn't that big of a deal to swap out. I had to put in a longer dowel on my cam since it had been used in an earlier LT1. Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to throw a nice 406 block and a set of nice small block heads into an LT1 car and still use the injection and harness. Those old blocks don't have the later type cam retainer provisions....and a thrust bearing wouldn't fit because the opti would be in that position. Wonder if you could get around that cheaply/easily?
Again, I know it isn't the most sane idea. I'm just thinking out loud.

Last edited by 1961ba427; 02-24-2013 at 12:28 AM.

Quick Reply: I found another Bowtie Block (GM Race Shop)