LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Spark plug wire question, or two!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spark plug wire question, or two!

Alright, I just wanted to know if anyone has used the jegs brand spark plug wires. Im low on money and their price is insanely low. Which raises my eyebrow a little. Cheaper price means cheaper part sometimes. Next question, I want to go over the valve covers with them. Any info on what kits is capable ? or what other low priced over the valve wires would you suggest. Thanks in advance for your input.

Cal
Old 03-29-2011, 08:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would not skimp on wires. I once bough a set of so called premium quality pre made OTVC wires and they arc'd like crazy and mad numerous misfires. They were made of the cheapest wires I ever saw. I have seen Taylors do the same thing.

I would go MSD and get the LT1 opti booted wires and cut hem to length and put the spark plug ends and boots on. I have never had an issue with the MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires period and be done with it. Chasing electrical gremlins in cheap wires just aint worth it.

Find something else to skimp on.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Regular

I used the jags yellow wires, I think they were 8.5mm wires, great product, ran them for about 5k mi with no problems, be forwarned, they are a royal PITFA to run the stock routing, other than that their great, and would over all reccomend them.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wrd1972
I would not skimp on wires. I once bough a set of so called premium quality pre made OTVC wires and they arc'd like crazy and mad numerous misfires. They were made of the cheapest wires I ever saw. I have seen Taylors do the same thing.

I would go MSD and get the LT1 opti booted wires and cut hem to length and put the spark plug ends and boots on. I have never had an issue with the MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires period and be done with it. Chasing electrical gremlins in cheap wires just aint worth it.

Find something else to skimp on.
I understand that I get what I pay for. Im just really short on cash at the moment. The MSD wires are the route I actually want to go, Its just that there pushing $100 and I cant pay that at this moment.

Originally Posted by idformula
I used the jags yellow wires, I think they were 8.5mm wires, great product, ran them for about 5k mi with no problems, be forwarned, they are a royal PITFA to run the stock routing, other than that their great, and would over all reccomend them.
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...ductId=1064786 These are the ones I am looking at. They are 8.5 yellows that are universal. Im going with the over the valve cover route. I just need more feedback on these wires!!! I mean $39 is right up my alley at the moment and I cant find any bad reviews.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:52 AM
Staging Lane

the hardware looks like "Taylor" brand..(I consider them..a middle of the road manufacturer..not the best..but not the worst)
most of the Jeg's and Summit brand stuff is made by the top manufacturers
but sold as generic so they have a hand in the generic market..

2 things..
first..make sure you have a good premium crimp tool..borrow one if you have to..
second..you have to be real careful when routing the passenger side wires up
by the waterpump for the over the valvecover set-up..
you have to make a holdback bracket to keep the plugs wires clear of the serp belt..
Old 03-30-2011, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MattSLONOMO
the hardware looks like "Taylor" brand..(I consider them..a middle of the road manufacturer..not the best..but not the worst)
most of the Jeg's and Summit brand stuff is made by the top manufacturers
but sold as generic so they have a hand in the generic market..

2 things..
first..make sure you have a good premium crimp tool..borrow one if you have to..
second..you have to be real careful when routing the passenger side wires up
by the waterpump for the over the valvecover set-up..
you have to make a holdback bracket to keep the plugs wires clear of the serp belt..
Thanks for the feedback. I wont need a crimp tool because the shop is putting them in for free. I had a terrible situation where I get a header install and the next day after I picked it up the spark plug wires were getting chewed up in the front by a pulley. The wires followed the stock route and still got ate up in the front. How do you suggest to make a holdback bracket? Thanks
Old 03-30-2011, 02:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SoCalCal
How do you suggest to make a holdback bracket? Thanks
It's been a few years..my car has changed allot since 97..I don't remember the exact holes I bolted the
bracket I made to..but it was 2 of the bolts underneath one
was a bolt that mounts the large aluminum bracket to the block ..(holds the power steering pump and a/c compressor..)
I think the other was the bottom bolt of the water pump..
I used a piece of an old aluminum gutter..trimmed it into shape,was about 1" wide about 4 or 5 inches long with an offset in it..
I drilled 2 holes..one at each end to match the bolt locations and painted it..
looked like it came that way from the factory..LOL
Old 03-31-2011, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MattSLONOMO
It's been a few years..my car has changed allot since 97..I don't remember the exact holes I bolted the
bracket I made to..but it was 2 of the bolts underneath one
was a bolt that mounts the large aluminum bracket to the block ..(holds the power steering pump and a/c compressor..)
I think the other was the bottom bolt of the water pump..
I used a piece of an old aluminum gutter..trimmed it into shape,was about 1" wide about 4 or 5 inches long with an offset in it..
I drilled 2 holes..one at each end to match the bolt locations and painted it..
looked like it came that way from the factory..LOL
Got you. Thanks for the input. Im looking at the MSD streetfire wires now. Im juggling between the two but leaning towards the streetfire(just because of the MSD brand). Would 8mm be fine? My car is basically a stock street car with bolt ons.

Last edited by SoCalCal; 03-31-2011 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Add more info
Old 04-01-2011, 08:15 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SoCalCal
Got you. Thanks for the input. Im looking at the MSD streetfire wires now. Im juggling between the two but leaning towards the streetfire(just because of the MSD brand). Would 8mm be fine? My car is basically a stock street car with bolt ons.
yep..
that's all anybody had 10 years ago..
Old 04-01-2011, 08:42 AM
Staging Lane

I am using the summit 8.5 wires and haven't had any issues so I would imagine the jeggs brand would be about the same quality.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:46 AM
Staging Lane

I have the Jegs 8mm wires and although I haven't finished the car to get it running yet, the quality looks pretty good to me.

Quick Reply: Spark plug wire question, or two!