LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Got a starter problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 04:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a starter problem

When I turn the key everything turns on as normal, security light goes off in a couple seconds. I turn key to start and I hear clicking from ignition switch and fuel pump go. I have fuel I checked that. Haven't got around to testing spark but that's not the problem.. when I put a screwdriver to the posts on the starter it just spins and doesn't engage. Gotta get this thing running ASAP after this winter rebuild or I'm gonna get the "You bit off more then you can chew" thing from my dad. =P
Old 03-31-2011, 04:45 PM
TECH Regular

I know this topic has been gone over a million times. Haven't heard of one where the starter wouldn't engage fully even when crossed with a screwdriver. And key does nothin...
Old 03-31-2011, 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

Can try tapping on the starter while having someone simultaneously try to start the car. If this works, it's only a temporary solution. Sounds like your starter just needs to be replaced.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:16 AM
TECH Regular

Got the starter tested and it works, guess I was crossing the wrong posts =/ ha. We'll even so starter wont even click when I turn key. Security light goes out after couple seconds like usual. Crossed the nuetral safety switch still nothing. Also crossed the Theft Deterrent Module and still same results. Bad wire? Lemme know what you guys think everything helps!

Thanks,
Joe
Old 04-03-2011, 07:18 AM
On The Tree

Clean all the connections. Coarse sandpaper works well. (battery,junction box,starter) And make sure the battery is up to the task.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:32 PM
TECH Regular

Just got a new battery at Napa (old battery was ****) and cleaned all the connections thoroughly. But still nothing..
Old 04-03-2011, 06:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the clutch interlock switch.

Al
Old 04-03-2011, 06:18 PM
TECH Regular

The neutral safety switch? Bypassed that, also put the yellow and purple wires together from the theft module thing by glovebox.. I took out a viper alarm and just cut the wires to it. Don't think that is whats messin with it. When I turn the key to start the headlights don't dim, but low trac and some other light turns off when I turn to start. Anyone in the Minneapolis/St.Paul area that's got some free time? I'm lost... I really hope I didn't **** the wiring up when I cut out that alarm...
Old 04-03-2011, 06:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FormulaJoe
The neutral safety switch? Bypassed that, also put the yellow and purple wires together from the theft module thing by glovebox.. I took out a viper alarm and just cut the wires to it. Don't think that is whats messin with it. When I turn the key to start the headlights don't dim, but low trac and some other light turns off when I turn to start. Anyone in the Minneapolis/St.Paul area that's got some free time? I'm lost... I really hope I didn't **** the wiring up when I cut out that alarm...
Hold on. If you cut the wires to the alarm you may have cut the starter bypass wires. Usually heavier than the rest, they need to be connected together.

Al
Old 04-03-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Regular

Starter bypass wiring? The bypassing of the neutral safety switch and theft deterrent module was done after I pulled the alarm. Alarm was broken or just not wired properly/completely when I bought the car. I'm thinking of just doin a push button start for now so I can drive it until I figure it out completely.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:37 AM
TECH Resident

I can't guess what the alarm guy did. But a lot of alarms have a starter by-pass. It's something you need to check. Does it start if you jump the solenoid? large wire from the battery to the small one. That engages the starter drive and powers the starter.

Go here: http://shbox.com/1/schematics_wiring.html

Find your wiring diagram, starter and charging schematic and work it out.

Al
Old 04-04-2011, 11:43 AM
Staging Lane

I have a 1.5 hp cvr starter I can sell you

Quick Reply: Got a starter problem