LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

new IAC path for people with monoblade or other aftermarket TB's

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 10:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ralls
I thought I would ask here since it's on topic. I was messing around with my intake manifold and pulled out the bottom plugs. The air passage hole for #2 cylinder is smaller than all the rest. Does anyone else's look like this or did they not drill mine large enough at the factory?
I was also wondering if it would help to drill all the passages a little larger for big cube motors. I know the IAC can only allow a certain amount of air through. For my IAC to be effective, it shouldn't have to be fully open at idle to feed the motor.
i almost forgot to reply to your question. yes my intake is the same as yours. only the #2 runner has that smaller idle air passage. all the rest are the same.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:29 AM
Launching!

Do you guys know if the IAC being fully open or fully closed can cause a "whistling" through the hole in the TB? I have a 52mm Edelbrock and ever since it has been on the car(6 years) with a new IAC it has whistled. It does it on cold start and only goes away when the car is in park after being warmed up. As soon as it is in drive it slowly comes back to that whistling sound. It is so loud that I've been asked if I've got a blower. Any ideas?
Old 04-17-2011, 01:34 PM
TECH Regular

did you ever reset the iac ? or check the holes to see if they are the cause. think of blowing across a glass bottle opening, how due to its shape it creates the whistle nosie.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The Edelbrock/BBK TBs are known to whistle. They used to have instructions on their site as to how to resolve it.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
The Edelbrock/BBK TBs are known to whistle. They used to have instructions on their site as to how to resolve it.
you have to much info stored in your head lol.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:46 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the help guys. I'll look up the site for the info on the whistling. So I take it others have had this happen? Do you guys think this is a product of the TB rather than the IAC?
Old 04-18-2011, 01:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SWT95Z
Thanks for the help guys. I'll look up the site for the info on the whistling. So I take it others have had this happen? Do you guys think this is a product of the TB rather than the IAC?
Yeah its the TB. Somwhere in there is likely a protruding edge or surface thats causing the whistle.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:09 PM
Launching!

Thumbs up

Thanks WRD1972. By the way, nice Perry the Platapus pic.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks WRD1972. By the way, nice Perry the Platapus pic.
Agent "P" is da man. I love that show.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:41 PM
Launching!

I never thought I'd like a cartoon soo much but when your kids love it you have to also. Sometimes I'll watch even when mine isn't watching or awake for that matter....anyway I'll let you guys know if fixing the hole in the TB fixes my problem. Thanks again for the help.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is a little late, but I have an Edelbrock air gap LT4 intake and am contemplating the monoblade for my set up....

Does anyone have a pic of where the TB mounts after modifying it to accomodate the monoblade.

Just curious how much material was removed.... Im a little "scared" to do the mod, so hoping a visual will help ease that...
Old 02-06-2012, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by popo8
I know this is a little late, but I have an Edelbrock air gap LT4 intake and am contemplating the monoblade for my set up....

Does anyone have a pic of where the TB mounts after modifying it to accomodate the monoblade.

Just curious how much material was removed.... Im a little "scared" to do the mod, so hoping a visual will help ease that...
Not sure about your Edelbrock doorstop but, for a monoblade, you have to carve out the spot where the IAC used to feed into the separate idle air passages in the stock intake. Have a look at the 58 that someone posted earlier in this thread and imagine the lower corners of the two throttle plates connected with a straight line.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 05HD
Not sure about your Edelbrock doorstop but, for a monoblade, you have to carve out the spot where the IAC used to feed into the separate idle air passages in the stock intake. Have a look at the 58 that someone posted earlier in this thread and imagine the lower corners of the two throttle plates connected with a straight line.
Thanks for your help... not sure why your knocking my parts.....
Old 02-06-2012, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for your help... not sure why your knocking my parts.....
It is an LS1tech thing, we like to rag on anything Edelbrock around here.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:53 PM
TECH Regular

It is an LS1tech thing, we like to rag on anything Edelbrock around here.
Thanks for your help again.

Anyone else, actually able to help me out with my request.

Thank You in advance.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for your help again.

Anyone else, actually able to help me out with my request.

Thank You in advance.
That help?
Then again if you could read you probably would have realized the edelbrock intakes/heads/cam are junk. The throttle bodies are OK.

Even magazines which are notorious for favoring advertizers say the Edelbrock intakes are not worthwhile. For an engine that needs the huge heads you bought you would also want plenum volume and the Edecrap's is 28% SMALLER. You would have been better off with a GM LT4 or even modifying an LT1 intake, all they need to seal to LT4 heads is a little material added above the intake ports, that is all the GM LT4 intake is.

Also be aware the monoblade does not have a ridge around the flange for the intake tract boot and I have seen some guys having trouble where boost will blow the tract off causing them to have to modify the monoblade adding a ridge to give the hose clamp something to grab.

Last edited by 96capricemgr; 02-07-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:48 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
That help?
Then again if you could read you probably would have realized the edelbrock intakes/heads/cam are junk. The throttle bodies are OK.

Even magazines which are notorious for favoring advertizers say the Edelbrock intakes are not worthwhile. For an engine that needs the huge heads you bought you would also want plenum volume and the Edecrap's is 28% SMALLER. You would have been better off with a GM LT4 or even modifying an LT1 intake, all they need to seal to LT4 heads is a little material added above the intake ports, that is all the GM LT4 intake is.

Also be aware the monoblade does not have a ridge around the flange for the intake tract boot and I have seen some guys having trouble where boost will blow the tract off causing them to have to modify the monoblade adding a ridge to give the hose clamp something to grab.
Thank You for the last bit of advice... however again, Im not sure why a request can not be met with a response that has to do with the request. My request was for a photo..... and some how I keep getting smack talk.

You dont like my intake... thats cool. But what does that have to do with my request.

Im realy biting my lip over here, but man..... Its not hard... help, or stay quiet?
Old 02-07-2012, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

Old 02-07-2012, 12:58 PM
Launching!

Do you guys know if the IAC being fully open or fully closed can cause a "whistling" through the hole in the TB? I have a 52mm Edelbrock and ever since it has been on the car(6 years) with a new IAC it has whistled. It does it on cold start and only goes away when the car is in park after being warmed up. As soon as it is in drive it slowly comes back to that whistling sound. It is so loud that I've been asked if I've got a blower. Any ideas?
My 58mm BBK is loud. I have had more than one person ask what kind of supercharger or gear drive it was. With the ss airbox and hood it mad it even worse.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider

Thanks man... I really appreciate the pics.

I was talking with the guy from Arizona Marine and he said that the "little hole" can just be contoured around, if I was not interested in modifying it. I guess Ill mark it off when the new monoblade gets here, and see what I will do to my intake then....

Thanks Again.

Quick Reply: new IAC path for people with monoblade or other aftermarket TB's