LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

96 Z28 Throttle Body Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011 | 04:45 AM

Default 96 Z28 Throttle Body Question

Hey guys I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right thread but I have a quick question. I just recently bought a 96 z28 and I'm looking to throw a few bolt ons on. I was looking at the 58mm Summit throttle bodies or the BBK 58mm. Will these do fine for now or are there any other mods i should make before?

Right now the car has SLP CAI, straight pipes, and a few other mods.
Old 04-16-2011 | 05:50 AM
TECH Addict

Neither, go with Professional products, for $199. There is no difference in manufacture just price. If you go with a 58mm you are going to need to open up the intake manifold by porting it out to 58mm or its not going to do anything for you
Old 04-16-2011 | 06:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

I run a PP 52mm and love it. No need for the 58mm.
Old 04-16-2011 | 09:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'll counter everyone else by saying they aren't worth it right now, especially since you don't have any major valvetrain mods. Save your money and invest in a set of long tubes, full cat-back exhaust, gears, converter (if you're an A4), electric water pump, suspension components, 1.6 rockers/springs, etc.

All of those provide more gains than an aftermarket throttle body on a stock motor.
Old 04-16-2011 | 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

yeah theres better things to do right now then the throttle body. All mentioned above
Old 04-16-2011 | 04:30 PM
Staging Lane

Agreed, other mods will do more for you than the 58mm throttle body and as was mentioned by the goblin already, if you don't pull the intake and have it ported out to match the 58mm tb then it is doing absolutely nothing for you. You also may run into idle quality issues if you go the route of 58mm tb unless you modify the throttle body. Both are issues I am dealing with right now myself.

I pulled my BBK 58mm tb to modify it with a "bleed hole" and I made a aluminum piece to properly route the idle air as my idle is poor and my back 4 spark plugs are fouled out. For more information to better explain this check out http://members.***.net/chipsbyal/page/idle/index.html (a great article about this made by another member). That's when I found out that the shop that did all my machine work on my block, heads and intake never ported it to match the 58mm tb. So now I am pulling my intake manifold to have it ported, so much fun we should have.
Old 04-17-2011 | 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by AirborneZ28
Agreed, other mods will do more for you than the 58mm throttle body and as was mentioned by the goblin already, if you don't pull the intake and have it ported out to match the 58mm tb then it is doing absolutely nothing for you. You also may run into idle quality issues if you go the route of 58mm tb unless you modify the throttle body. Both are issues I am dealing with right now myself.

I pulled my BBK 58mm tb to modify it with a "bleed hole" and I made a aluminum piece to properly route the idle air as my idle is poor and my back 4 spark plugs are fouled out. For more information to better explain this check out http://members.***.net/chipsbyal/page/idle/index.html (a great article about this made by another member). That's when I found out that the shop that did all my machine work on my block, heads and intake never ported it to match the 58mm tb. So now I am pulling my intake manifold to have it ported, so much fun we should have.
Damn thank you for sharing this story so i don't make the same mistake. sorry to hear about that man. and thanks for the advice guys
Old 04-17-2011 | 07:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
I'll counter everyone else by saying they aren't worth it right now, especially since you don't have any major valvetrain mods. Save your money and invest in a set of long tubes, full cat-back exhaust, gears, converter (if you're an A4), electric water pump, suspension components, 1.6 rockers/springs, etc.

All of those provide more gains than an aftermarket throttle body on a stock motor.
agreed!!! Before you put more air in get those long tubes so that LT can breathe.

Quick Reply: 96 Z28 Throttle Body Question