LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Rebuild time soon! Of course questions though.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 11:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Rebuild time soon! Of course questions though.

A few questions I can think of. My oiling options! I think there is a Melling HV pump in there now? Isn't this the one the causes issues? My problem now is my pressure drops at WOT. Now I heard from one of the local guys that this is due to the HV pump pumping most of the oil up to the top end? He claims I just need a pan with more capacity and I should reuse the pump. Any truth to this?

I was thinking GM pump and stock pan. I'm moving up from the Hotcam to a 503, as I have it laying around. Also ported heads. What do the heads flow? No idea, they came on a used motor. Would I be fine with a GM pump and stock pan for this motor? I may one day want to hit up road courses. I could work an aftermarket pan into my budget. So mostly looking for ideas on the oil system.

What about head gaskets? The guy that will be dealing with the motor said MLS is the way to go? So I told the shop checking out the heads to surface for MLS?

Also looking at shooting for a 200 shot. Do I need the rings gapped at anything specific in regards to this?

Final question, at least for now. What is going on with this rocker? Can I just tap what looks like the retainer back in, or can I see if Scorpion will send me two rockers? This is the really ugly one:

Then this one:

Why does it look like its shifting around? Or is that normal for NSA rockers?
Old 04-16-2011, 11:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep had a gm stock pump with white spring in mine on a stock oil pan.. That cam and what you have for your setup will be fine with oiling. As long as everything is new and you use the right oil for the job. ALso dont you plan on running a 200 shot?
Old 04-16-2011, 12:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes, I think three years is enough time for the Nitrous Outlet plate kit to be staring at me from across the room.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would gap the rings per the piston manufacturers recommendation. Mine are top .022 and 2nd .026 for a healthy shot...
Old 04-16-2011, 12:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

There are other reasons oil pressure could drop at high rpms, that is why they make things like windage trays, pan baffles etc. also possible the pump could be cavitating. Of course just because someone sells a windage tray doesn't mean it is any good.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:05 PM
11 Second Club

I know the merv thought it was a brilliant idea to run his lsx motor without a windage tray, so you might want to make sure that motor still has one.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:27 PM
TECH Junkie

He claims this one still has the stock windage tray, if I remember correctly.

What's the story on those two rockers? Tap that back down and call it a day or should I replace them? Those are Scorpion gold 1.6 NSA rockers from the motor the 503 and the heads came from also. The heads already have beehives, guideplates and I have the hardened pushrods. That kinda scares me, could they ever shift enough to spill the bearings? Why did they do that?
Old 04-17-2011, 08:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Replace the rockers. If two of them are doing it, there's no reason to believe more couldn't back out and spit those needle bearings all over your engine. They're inexpensive for a reason.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Replace the rockers. If two of them are doing it, there's no reason to believe more couldn't back out and spit those needle bearings all over your engine. They're inexpensive for a reason.
Those don't look like Scorpions to me. Mine have a snap ring on each side of the trunnion to prevent something like that from happening , are blue anodized and laser etched. Looks like it was rubbing on the underside or something. Regardless, I would replace the whole set. I believe Scorpions have a life time warranty.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Maybe I just have an older set? There is def. a scorpion on them.
I'll contact them, maybe the snap ring is due to older ones doing this. I did see Comp Cams aluminum rockers have a snap ring.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Sent an email to scorpion to see what the deal is.

Is this the oil pump I want?

Also what should I run for headgaskets?

I emailed Projection Engineering as I want to order two of the LTX Oil Pressure Savers, no response back though? Guess I'll try the phone number?
Old 04-25-2011, 05:14 PM
TECH Junkie

So two updates, Scorpion wants me to ship the whole set of rockers to them and did hear from Pro-jection Engineering today. So things are moving forward it seems.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you put a HV oil pump in with the stock pan, your just going to suck the oil out even faster. Are you sure your oil level is correct. I'd recommend a bigger pan. I upgraded my pan and anticipate I won't run into any issues. I have a canton 6qt. Especially if you plan on any AutoX, def get the bigger pan. Aftermarket pans also usually come with better baffling to prevent oil starvation on hard cornering.

As for gapping, I would ask a reputable motor shop.

I have the same rockers you do but haven't even gotten the motor in yet. So I can't help you there either. I'll keep my eyes peeled if the UPS/FedEx gods deliver my clutch this weekend and I get to fire it up. AFAIK, you need guide plates and the whole deal with these rockers but I will double check.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Heads have guideplates and I have hardened pushrods for the build also. Well they were from the donor motor, so hopefully will be the right length. That is the thing, with 5 quarts of oil in the motor now, which I think has the HV pump, oil pressure just drops during WOT.

I want to go back to a stock GM pump. Do you have a link for the Canton pan? I have some leeway in funds but wasn't planning on buying a pan. I just want to stick a GM pump in it again, my stock motor was still making like 55-60 psi at WOT at 135k miles when I pulled that motor.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is the pump you want.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MEL-10554/
Old 04-26-2011, 12:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the oil pan you want.

http://www.cantonracingproducts.com/...on&key=15-242T
Old 04-26-2011, 02:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Whoa! That pan is expensive! I don't even know if I will make it auto-x or road courses, I had always heard you could get away on a HPDE day with just running an extra quart of oil?

How much lost power would I regain with the crank scraper though? Hmmm I still have a few days to make decisions, but time is coming down to parts ordering.....

Lets put it this way, for what that pan costs though I could order the rest of my nitrous parts: wideband, A/F shutoff switch, nitrous filter, solenoid mount.

Not to mention depending on what scorpion says I might be out for a set of rockers. Haven't gotten an email from them yet today.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts

OP

"If" your motor was set up with wider bearing clearances than a HV pump is often used. They are not recommended for stock motors or motors with stock bearing clearances.

oil pressure dropping at WOT is not good and can be due to multiple issues. pump cavitation and windage tray (not being there) are possibilities as Dwayne points out.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Heads!

Alright time to get busy, hope to have the motor pulled and to the engine guy Monday.

I hope to have the car parked there no longer than two weeks. I'll go crazy.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Motor is out! As good as it always feels to say that and get to this point, you remember about two seconds later that is only halfway.

I'm sure my neighbors love me, fired up the compressor so I could get the clutch and flywheel off around 11:30ish.....

Quick Reply: Rebuild time soon! Of course questions though.