LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Can car sit with blown headgasket?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can car sit with blown headgasket?

I think it would be about a month or so before i can afford all the parts needed to change all the gaskets. How long can it sit without further damage? Is there anything i can do in the mean time?
Old 04-17-2011, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

It shouldn't be a problem other than coolant in the cylinders and/or in the oil. As long as you don't run the engine you'll be fine.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:39 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, not for long. If any water is sitting in the cylinders, you might see some pitting.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:56 PM
Banned

take the coolant out, take the plugs out and fill them with pb blaster
Old 04-17-2011, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just fixed a head gasket leak! @ 180,000 miles my T/A sadly developed a steamy exhaust with puddles and constant coolant loss i bought a bottle of (Blue devil) head gasket repair/sealer from Advanced auto parts ...It absolutely fixed the leak...no more smoke,no more puddles at the exhaust pipe no more miss fire , no more traces of coolant on the plugs.To most this may seem temporary ...in my case it just needs to get me thru till my 383 is done..
but it worked for me, and they (blue devil) claim its permanent it supposedly works its way thru the leak and the chemical turns to glass and creates a plug , the auto parts house claim repair shops all around town buy it all the time..
After it seals ,change the oil and plugs. Cost for blue devil $70! with a money back guarantee
heres what made me try it ..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCrUb8AXLvY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUOmZHzT99s

Last edited by defaultexistence; 04-17-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:08 PM
TECH Resident

Lol auto parts stores will tell you whatever you wanna hear, I worked at a checker auto in the phoenix area (we covered about 5 square miles worth of shops), for 2.5 years and I never saw a single bottle of that sell. we even had a bottle that had been sitting there for so long it had turned purple.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jester1614
Lol auto parts stores will tell you whatever you wanna hear, I worked at a checker auto in the phoenix area (we covered about 5 square miles worth of shops), for 2.5 years and I never saw a single bottle of that sell. we even had a bottle that had been sitting there for so long it had turned purple.
I dont care what they (parts store) said, For ME. ..It worked and still is working... and did for the you tube video guys above too
Old 04-17-2011, 10:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would remove the radiator cap to make sure there is no pressure, pull the affected plugs at least(if not all), crank it to blow out the coolant and get some fogging oil in there.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

LMFAO! I wonder what else that Blue Devil **** clogs up. What a joke.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any fluid that blocks leaks (like blue devil) literally works by gunking **** up. Like RamAir already implied, I really doubt the leak is the only thing its gonna gunk up. I admit I've used a similar idea in a tranny before where I couldn't hurt it, but using gunk to fill a leak in an area with oil and coolant passages for the engine just seems like a terrible idea. But yeah....don't let it sit long, or at least take measures to prevent corrosion in your combustion chambers. My gaskets are blown too and I'm starting the tear down tomorrow and cleaning everything up most likely even though I probably have to wait to buy the parts.

Last edited by nighthawk15; 04-18-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright, i was shitting bricks after doing a search and seeing that thread, i will definitly take the plugs out, should i drain all the coolant out from the block? I cant do too much of a tear down cause i live in an Apt so i dont have room for anything.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:02 AM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would also drain the oil, if there's coolant in that as well. aside from that, just get the chambers empty and you'll be good to go.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:35 PM
TECH Junkie

I spent less than $250 if I remember correctly to change out head gaskets back in December. That included a new waterpump.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by camar0corey
I spent less than $250 if I remember correctly to change out head gaskets back in December. That included a new waterpump.
Wow, how in the world did you work that out? Im sure i could get away without new headbolts but im not planning on risking it, the gasket set alone is 170, i need a torque wrench and all the sealants, plus coolant. I figured i would atleast be spending 300, and thats not including taking the heads to a shop
Old 04-18-2011, 10:46 PM
L?1
Teching In

Originally Posted by GMC5.3
I think it would be about a month or so before i can afford all the parts needed to change all the gaskets. How long can it sit without further damage? Is there anything i can do in the mean time?

If you are going to wait, try to at least clear the water/coolant out of the cylinders.

I would not wait too long. I waited probably a month or so when it happened to me years back. When I took the heads off, their was too much rust and gunk in the cyl. I had to have the engine rebuilt. The walls were pitted/rusted.

At least drain all of the fluid from the cyl, and oil pan, and try to get to it as soon as possible.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

What I did with one of my cars was drain the coolant out of the block and coolant system and start it up for 10-15 seconds. should get all the water out of the holes. Do it a few times if you feel the need but make sure to space it out.... 10-15 seconds at IDLE isnt going to heat anything up enough to do any damage. Just cranking it over without plugs is no guarantee your gonna get all the coolant out between the rings, where they can rust to the cylinder wall...

then pull the plugs and spray in some fogging oil. would be the easiest way.
Might as well drain the oil too. I mean its not gonna hurt to drain it now as your gonna have to change it anyways... just dont start it lol!
Old 04-19-2011, 07:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Pair of Felpro head gaskets $46.
Felpro intake manifold gasket set $15.
New waterpump -GMB- $120
Tube of permatex $8

$189 + tax but I may or may not have also had a coupon for Advanced Auto...

See if you can borrow a torque wrench, I don't know if they offer that in those loaner programs or not.

If you have to do it on a budget then it can be done. I didn't take them to a shop but typically around here its $100 for a pair of heads to be checked and cleaned up. If you know your waterpump is good then you are only looking at about $170. My waterpump was shot though. I ran a straight edge across them. Hey I had my brothers graduation to get to in PA and the holidays to enjoy! Car made the trip no problem.

Don't waste your money on the whole gasket set. What a rip off that deal is. I suppose the head bolts though, you have a 96. There was that huge thread a while back, I think it was determined they looked different 95+ but some people reuse them some don't. I reused my bolts on my original motor at 135k. At 165k when I pulled the motor it was all still good.

Sounds like you have another way to get around though, so do it the way you want to. I had somewhere to be, had to take my dog with me, and needed the car up and running so I could get to class after the holidays.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:48 AM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Head bolts can be reused. They aren't the tq to yeild type so you'll be fine. Just make sure to chase the threads in the block otherwise you will run the risk of breaking them. Aside from that there's no reason not to reuse them aside from the fact I think they're like $40 for new ones. If that.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:27 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

like stated above get felpro head gaskets, reuse the bolts.......clean everything well and just swap the gaskets.......you CAN do it for $250 and it will work just fine long as you didn't warp the head........

as for that blue devil bull $hit.......stay away from it......the way that and any other stop leak works is by seeking out air and creating a clay whereever it finds it........its a disaster it can cause over heating and all sorts of other problems........DO NOT USE IT

as for the motor right now pull all the plugs and crank it over a few times to try and blow any moisture out the plug holes......then id just spray some wd40 in the plug holes for insurance.......drain the coolant and id do the oil too cause there's prob some moisture in there too............

Last edited by quik95lt1; 04-19-2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
like stated above get felpro head gaskets, reuse the bolts.......clean everything well and just swap the gaskets.......you CAN do it for $250 and it will work just fine long as you didn't warp the head........

as for that blue devil bull $hit.......stay away from it......the way that and any other stop leak works is by seeking out air and creating a clay whereever it finds it........its a disaster it can cause over heating and all sorts of other problems........DO NOT USE IT

as for the motor right now pull all the plugs and crank it over a few times to try and blow any moisture out the plug holes......then id just spray some wd40 in the plug holes for insurance.......drain the coolant and id do the oil too cause there's prob some moisture in there too............
thanks for all your posts, ill be getting this done tomorrow then,
Few more quick questions, when you say crank it over, do you mean by hand or start it up and let it idle for 10-15 seconds?

Being that the coolant is low, do i just add water or leave whats in it till i drain it?

Thanks for all your help everyone

Quick Reply: Can car sit with blown headgasket?