LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Local LT1 Stock Eliminator Car

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 06:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
lots of interesting misinformation in this thread. lofting valves, wide LSAs, square lobes and "cheating"
LOL what happens when you "loft" a valve with hydraulic lifters?

Even if we're talking a solid lifter, you'd have to make compromises on the closing ramp to avoid bounce off the seat, which would hurt more than you'd gain with "controlled" loft or float or whatever you want to call it.

Originally Posted by GIZMO
You are wrong in this case.
Some of us listen to folks who actually know what they are talking about, like Daren.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i only listen to folks like d-money
Old 06-07-2011, 06:49 PM
10 Second Club

You are wrong in this case.
wrong about being on different wavelengths? I'm not disagreeing with everything he said, but nobody has addressed the issues I've brought up. Still wanting to hear from the experts what happens when you float (*hint* unload) a hydraulic lifter, especially these "trick" instances where you're running them off the bottom

Care to share who does the clips in your lifters?
Old 06-07-2011, 06:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
How exactly do you know this for a fact?

We ran 5hp briggs lawnmower engines that turned 3600rpm stock up to 7k with stock springs lofting the valves all day long. I don't see how the best engine builders in the country wouldn't be able to achieve the same feat.
those are flat head engines you are refering to...no overhead valves to smash into the pistons. or pushrods, or rocker arms in the equation. and its all related to running the perfect rpm, because we've pulled our briggs motors down and seen witness marks where the valves hit the head from turning them a little too hard. imagine if you shifted just a 'little too high' in an overhead valve motor with controlled valve float...it would be a disaster. not saying its impossible. just saying its nowhere near the same thing you or i have dealt with.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do the high rpms make the stock style lifters pump up and therefore become "solid"?
Old 06-07-2011, 08:23 PM
10 Second Club

if you want to loft a hydraulic valvetrain you have to run it off the top with lash, otherwise when you unload the lifter it pumps up and hangs the valve. Or you just run them off the bottom with "lash" without float with a ton of pressure so they can't pump up at all. Depends on what the valving is in the lifter, what the tolerances are, and what you can modify on them and stay in the rules. Renegade guys have spring pressure limitations, guys were running 400+ lbs on the seat and 900 lbs open on OEM replacement lifters. Still doesn't matter, if you unload the lifter it pumps up unless you've modified it otherwise. In that case can it still be called a hydraulic lifter?
Old 06-08-2011, 03:24 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you want to loft a hydraulic valvetrain you have to run it off the top with lash, otherwise when you unload the lifter it pumps up and hangs the valve. Or you just run them off the bottom with "lash" without float with a ton of pressure so they can't pump up at all.
PHP Code:
Depends on what the valving is in the lifterwhat the tolerances are, and what you can modify on them and stay in the rulesRenegade guys have spring pressure limitationsguys were running 400lbs on the seat and 900 lbs open on OEM replacement liftersStill doesn't matter, if you unload the lifter it pumps up unless you've modified it otherwiseIn that case can it still 
be called a hydraulic lifter?
I covered this topic in a previous post. Basically, as long as the lifter has some hydraulic lash adjustment to it (like I said, in the .020"-.030" range) it is still, therefore, a "hydraulic" lifter.
I'm fairly sure we're not Talking about "lofting" a valve an extra .150", but maybe .050"-.070". Any more, and I would imagine there's too great of a chance of the pushrod not finding it's home when things come back together.

I've not built a stocker myself, but a guy I work/went to school with has. '93 Camaro with an ls1 he's setting up for B F/IA
Old 06-08-2011, 03:33 AM
Staging Lane

Sick cars..
Old 06-08-2011, 04:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Some of us listen to folks who actually know what they are talking about, like Daren.
indeed and Daren has shared allot of info on super stock class already but you can't expect him to divulge all of his secrets.
he did post up a link to some comp "lofter" grinds once tho..
Old 06-08-2011, 10:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wrong about being on different wavelengths? I'm not disagreeing with everything he said, but nobody has addressed the issues I've brought up. Still wanting to hear from the experts what happens when you float (*hint* unload) a hydraulic lifter, especially these "trick" instances where you're running them off the bottom
This is really a pretty deep subject. We have played with a lot of different cam profiles over the years. Some work and some don't. We have even gone as far as to run some grinds on a spintron. A lot of things come into play. Lash and piston to valve clearance are factors that control what you can and can't do. A lot of guys poke the ball end out of the stock rockers. I have not had that issue. To have better control we do run a restricted lifter. I have also had good luck with some true hydraulic lifters with some grinds.

Sorry to not really answer any questions on this, but any answer that I might give would be my opinion of how things work. There are a lot of smarter people than me that can probably give a much better answer.

I will say that in a motor that doesn't have a rules restriction on the cam and valvetrain I would do things differently.

And yes, the motor that I pulled from gump last year shows signs of piston to valve contact.

Care to share who does the clips in your lifters?
Allen Sherman in Louisiana will modify lifters for a reasonable price. I have never had any of his lifters fail.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:58 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mighty Whitey
I covered this topic in a previous post. Basically, as long as the lifter has some hydraulic lash adjustment to it (like I said, in the .020"-.030" range) it is still, therefore, a "hydraulic" lifter.
I'm fairly sure we're not Talking about "lofting" a valve an extra .150", but maybe .050"-.070". Any more, and I would imagine there's too great of a chance of the pushrod not finding it's home when things come back together.

I've not built a stocker myself, but a guy I work/went to school with has. '93 Camaro with an ls1 he's setting up for B F/IA
Like I already stated...

When you unload the lifter it pumps up and hangs the valve.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:09 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wouldn't hanging the valve open on the exhaust effectively lengthen the duration? If it's predetermined it can be compensated with on the lobes a bit. Therefore effectively cancelling out issues. Just thinking out loud.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:00 PM
12 Second Club

Like I already stated...

When you unload the lifter it pumps up and hangs the valve.
I understand what you're saying. I'm not 100% sure on the lash adjustments on a stocker, but they could very well not be preloaded at all, which could eleviate the concern of a lifter pumping up.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:09 PM
8 Second Club

And yes, the motor that I pulled from gump last year shows signs of piston to valve contact.
I remember you saying something about that.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:05 PM
10 Second Club

hey where's all the experts (d-money) go??? I really want to learn something
Old 12-13-2011, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

I realize this is an older thread, but I wanted to comment on a couple of things. First, I am not "lofting" my lifters with the camshaft I run. I don't know about the others, but I don't think they are since I don't feel there is an advantage.

There is also a lot more ET to be found in these cars that isn't limited to the engine. I have found a ton of ET paying attention to suspension details, how the car leaves, and how it lands. I am generally in the 4.11's to 4.12's at the 330' in my go fast mode without icing the car. My 60' times are pretty good at 1.32, but I don't trust them as much because the wheels can be carried past the beams.

I feel that I have found quite a bit also in the tune. There are several events that I will address throughout the run. Most of the theories that I have on these events have seemed to work. Of course, some of them don't and many surprise.

Kyle Ratcliff
4121 C/SA
1998 LT1 Firebird
Old 12-13-2011, 07:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Stock Eliminator showdown at the shootout?

GIZMO
Paul Cambria
Longbob
Rowe

anyone else?
Old 12-13-2011, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by joelster
Stock Eliminator showdown at the shootout?

GIZMO
Paul Cambria
Longbob
Rowe

anyone else?
What shootout are you referring to? I generally run Division 4 along with Bowling Green then Indy.

Kyle Ratcliff
4121 C/SA
1998 LT1 Firebird
Old 12-13-2011, 08:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They hold an lt engine based shootout every year in bowling green, ky. From what I hear its a blast and I plan on making it there this upcoming year.

ltxshootout.com has last years results and tech rules, ltxtech.com has the best threads on it. Come out and have fun with everyone!
Old 12-13-2011, 08:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Longbob
What shootout are you referring to? I generally run Division 4 along with Bowling Green then Indy.

Kyle Ratcliff
4121 C/SA
1998 LT1 Firebird

The annual LTX Shootout for LT1/4 powered vehicles. It gets great coverage in the national magazine GM HighTech Performance. Here's a link with the latest article:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...ths-gmhtp.html

Quick Reply: Local LT1 Stock Eliminator Car