LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

another budget 355 build

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another budget 355 build

So I'm looking into dropping some cash into a 355 build . I am considering using the gm847 cam I just have a few bottom end questions as I am fairly new to doing this I have done top ends before but nothing this complicated but I am never one to back down from a challenge. I want to utilize the stock crank and go with forged rods and pistons I have researched a lot and found a lot of people have chosen speed pro pistons . Are these reliable ? Any idea where to get for best price ? Also brand and best price for rods ? Dome or flat top ? I may use a small nitrous shot down the road . Also for the heads which valve springs would be recommended for the gm847 .... also please don't bash on my cam choice I like the mid to top end power . I would just like some info on what you fellas would build with about 4500 bucks . Thanks
Old 06-10-2011, 11:57 AM
Staging Lane

If was going to get a new motor again, I would buy one already built. I spent about the same building my 355, put 1,000 miles on it, then put it in storage.

The biggest advice I can give you is have good plan for why you are building the motor and what you are going to use it for. Then stick to it.

I'm trying to sell my motor now, for half of what you're looking to spend, so PM me if you are interested. Fully forged, nitrous rings, CC306 cam and lots of other goodies. Heck, for way less than you have budgeted I can even include a full direct port nitrous setup!
Old 06-11-2011, 12:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RacerTim
If was going to get a new motor again, I would buy one already built. I spent about the same building my 355, put 1,000 miles on it, then put it in storage.

The biggest advice I can give you is have good plan for why you are building the motor and what you are going to use it for. Then stick to it.

I'm trying to sell my motor now, for half of what you're looking to spend, so PM me if you are interested. Fully forged, nitrous rings, CC306 cam and lots of other goodies. Heck, for way less than you have budgeted I can even include a full direct port nitrous setup!
Contact me if he is not interested in motor
Old 06-11-2011, 06:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m trying to find time to finish my 355 build right now, it is very close to the build you are wanting to do. I used the stock crank, ground and polished by my engine builder. I went with Eagle forged I beams with capscrews which were around $240 I think. Pistons I went with SRP forged pistons, flat top with -5cc valve relief. My CR is going to be around 11.6:1 running zero deck and a .040 Cometic MLS head gasket. I let my engine builder get all the parts for me, I told him what I wanted and let him do the ordering. Most of the time they can get the same price as places like Summit and if anything is ordered wrong its their problem to fix.

If you haven’t already gotten the GM847 cam you may want to consider many of the other options out there. There are many cams in the size range of the GM847 that will give you the same top end power with more midrange power.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:20 AM
Teching In

What heads are you going with ?
Old 06-11-2011, 09:26 AM
TECH Regular

My heads were done by a local cylinder head shop. I was going to use AI's 190cc heads but decided to go local because the cylinder head shop supports local racing events very well and sponsors the local track so I decided to give him the biz. They are GM castings ported to 190cc, 2.0-1.56 valves, 54cc chamber. Flow numbers look really good but we will see how it runs once together. I did go with an AI cam though, one of their custom grinds, 232/237 on a 110lsa, about .595 lift on both int and exh.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Teching In

Just curious what did you pay for porting work ? I'm trying to make sure I don't get screwed on prices
Old 06-12-2011, 02:54 PM
TECH Regular

I paid around $1000 for the work. I supplied the heads, valves and spring kit/seals. They did the port work, decking of heads, valve job and assembly.

Quick Reply: another budget 355 build