LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Passed Test #1....I dont hear any High RPM Breakup!!!! VIDEO

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its not just this forum, the I beam vs H beam thing has been heavily debated all over the place for a long time. And if you think what I came up with is bs all one has to do us a little research. The only place is wrong is the fa t that it depends on the mfg of the rod as to which is heavier. Saying that an H beam is always going to be heavier simply by design is WRONG. callies proves that.
its also no surprise that a high end Oliver I beam like yours is lighter than a cheap eagle h beam... part of what you pay for.

There's also lots of research out there about one design compared to another and their ability to better seal with compressive vs tensile loads. Example if you're building a FI or nitrous build you may favor a heavier H beam style rod to deal with the higher cylinder pressure. Whereas a max effort N/A deal with a lot of RPMS a light weight I beam will be better suited. Just one broad example of how it can vary depending on application.

But I digress, we can't all be as smart as you guys
Old 06-24-2011, 07:01 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

more rpm = more gulps of air.
glad to hear it mike. now go give'er ****!
Old 06-24-2011, 07:35 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
right!!!?? its insane the severe amount of recicliouls stuff on this forum lol
I used to really appreciate the LT1 section, cause there was some good info. Now it feels like I'm loosing brain cells.

Originally Posted by gregrob
Its not just this forum, the I beam vs H beam thing has been heavily debated all over the place for a long time. And if you think what I came up with is bs all one has to do us a little research. The only place is wrong is the fa t that it depends on the mfg of the rod as to which is heavier.

But I digress, we can't all be as smart as you guys
Man you can get many different brands that have far different products, I'm sure for enough money a few companies can make you a strong/light product.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I had a smaller 1 3/4 to 3" hooker super comp on it last year but this year i stepped up to a hedman 1 7/8 to 3.5" header.......i can feel the car is stronger even with the exhaust on........it should hopefully pull really well with the exhaust off and after i get the open exhaust tune dialed in.......i may also build a 3.5" x pipe for it to try and get some extra mid range out of it to help get it out of the hole and 330' better......its got plenty of top end grunt......i can sacrafice a bit for midrange 6000rpm torque to get the et down........
Car sounds badass!!!!!!!!!

OT--how did those headers fit? My new heads have the standard bolt pattern, I could have sworn the Huslers run the Stahl pattern, but i'm not positive. If so, did you just run those adapter plates, and did you have to do any clearancing on the steering shaft? I see horror story after horror story about the Kooks fitment.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a smaller 1 3/4 to 3" hooker super comp on it last year but this year i stepped up to a hedman 1 7/8 to 3.5" header.......i can feel the car is stronger even with the exhaust on........it should hopefully pull really well with the exhaust off and after i get the open exhaust tune dialed in.......i may also build a 3.5" x pipe for it to try and get some extra mid range out of it to help get it out of the hole and 330' better......its got plenty of top end grunt......i can sacrafice a bit for midrange 6000rpm torque to get the et down........
That is exactly what I was hoping to hear on the 1 7/8 to 3.5" header. I'm running 1 3/4 to 3" now. I will tune it with that now, and a program with the cut-outs open if it picks up. My engine builder said I will need to step up to 1 7/8 with this AI set-up. Will have to go custom. No LT options for B-bodies past 1 3/4. Give it hell Man and thanks for the info.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:19 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

thanks everybody I'm heading up the track sunday so hopefully if everything stays happy i can finally start to get some numbers outta this thing!!!

Originally Posted by joelster
Car sounds badass!!!!!!!!!

OT--how did those headers fit? My new heads have the standard bolt pattern, I could have sworn the Huslers run the Stahl pattern, but i'm not positive. If so, did you just run those adapter plates, and did you have to do any clearancing on the steering shaft? I see horror story after horror story about the Kooks fitment.
thanks!! and yes they are a stahl patter vs standard..... i tossed the steel boat anchor plates they gave me and made my own aluminum plates on the cnc at my work.......as for the steering shaft it was an absolute nightmare........in the end in wound up cutting off the number 1 tube and re routing it around the shaft
Old 06-25-2011, 01:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do it Mike. 9s will happen!
Old 06-25-2011, 01:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

........in the end in wound up cutting off the number 1 tube and re routing it around the shaft

Did you cut the whole tube off and replace it with your own? Pics?
Old 06-26-2011, 05:20 PM
10 Second Club

From what I understand... a 1.75>1.875 tuned primary with a GOOD 3.5" merge collector (tuned 2nd harmonic ~15-16" on a 7500rpm motor) and you'll be farther ahead. Pulse tuning with smaller primaries will give you gains in the midrange and again up top. It's not necessarily in everyone's budget or ability to do. I'm within 1/2" on my primaries and 1/8" on my collector lengths and I'm confident it will provide good gains. I dropped ~6 degrees of overlap (@.050, even more seated) on the new cam to compensate (ECL from 105>112). I don't think with a 5000+ converter you'll notice the midrange much, but if you're going custom why not do it right
Old 06-27-2011, 07:50 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
From what I understand... a 1.75>1.875 tuned primary with a GOOD 3.5" merge collector (tuned 2nd harmonic ~15-16" on a 7500rpm motor) and you'll be farther ahead. Pulse tuning with smaller primaries will give you gains in the midrange and again up top. It's not necessarily in everyone's budget or ability to do. I'm within 1/2" on my primaries and 1/8" on my collector lengths and I'm confident it will provide good gains. I dropped ~6 degrees of overlap (@.050, even more seated) on the new cam to compensate (ECL from 105>112). I don't think with a 5000+ converter you'll notice the midrange much, but if you're going custom why not do it right
Just wasn't in the budget for me to go spending 2000 on a set of race headers. The ones i put on there now were 750 and they are doing very well so far......the cars running really strong.........and i actually did do all the math on the headers......and for an off the shelf header this thing is very very close to what I needed.......i just left all that stuff out of my build thread when i picked these out.......i dont share quite everything i do lol

Quick Reply: Passed Test #1....I dont hear any High RPM Breakup!!!! VIDEO