LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Quieting down LM1 Exhaust, Auger Muffler Insert

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quieting down LM1 Exhaust, Auger Muffler Insert

Alright, I know there has been numerous threads on this topic, and I have read borlamouths, magnamouths, dynomouths.

Current setup, Longtubes, ORY, and LM1 catback. Those that know, this combo is LOUD and the rasp is outrageous.

Im thinking of going with a auger-muffler insert, which slides inside a 3inch pipe.
This here: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PTE-H3844/
Only $14.99 and essentially the same design as a Moroso Spiral Flow.

Now, you believe this alone will help the rasp/noise a bit? Can I put it in before the LM1 Resonator and leave the LM1 Resonator in place, or does this defeat the purpose?

Not trying to spend much money, figure this is a good idea, any input?
Old 06-25-2011, 10:36 AM
TECH Regular

Only thing that will do is cause a drop in performance, but the rasp will still be there...

The volume will drop slightly, but not enough to get you to the point you can enjoy it.

Honestly, pickup the Borla XR-1 3" muffler and replace the resonator. You won't loose much ground clearence if done right and ALL the rasp will be gone. You will have the same performance and it still gets loud as hell at WOT up top.

For a "loud" setup the LM1 with a Borla XR-1 muffler is my favorite setup... gotta love the flames out the back @ WOT!
Old 06-25-2011, 10:46 AM
TECH Resident

LM1 is like no muffler at all. Buy new Muffler if want change the sound.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Can you fit 2 bullets where your cats were?
Old 06-25-2011, 11:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People are losing 50+rwhp with a single spiral flow in their i-pipe, so that wouldn't be on the top of my list to do considering it doesn't even expand into a 4" pipe like the spiral flow does.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
People are losing 50+rwhp with a single spiral flow in their i-pipe, so that wouldn't be on the top of my list to do considering it doesn't even expand into a 4" pipe like the spiral flow does.
Really, where did you hear that?

Do you have any links to dynos or anything?

Dont take this the wrong way I'm not trying to start a fight or doubting you, that's just crazy and I'd like some more info. I know alot of people that say they are the greatest and I never really bought into it.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TAEnvy
Really, where did you hear that?

Do you have any links to dynos or anything?

Dont take this the wrong way I'm not trying to start a fight or doubting you, that's just crazy and I'd like some more info. I know alot of people that say they are the greatest and I never really bought into it.
There was a thread somewhere on here where people were making huge gains when taking out their spiral flow mufflers. These however were very high horsepower cars.

To the OP. I have heard of guys putting two bullet mufflers in the tail pipe and leaving the resonator in the I pipe with great results. I think SLP actually sells some mufflers made to fit there.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:16 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, I figured out two more XR-1 mufflers could be made to fit after the Y-section in the back...

That was my long-term solution on the LM1, a Borla XR1 in the resonator location, then a couple more after the y-section... Will still get loud up top at WOT, but cruising and in the midrange it would be quite manageable...
Old 06-25-2011, 08:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
There was a thread somewhere on here where people were making huge gains when taking out their spiral flow mufflers. These however were very high horsepower cars.

To the OP. I have heard of guys putting two bullet mufflers in the tail pipe and leaving the resonator in the I pipe with great results. I think SLP actually sells some mufflers made to fit there.
It's not limited to high horsepower cars. If you lose 50+rwhp in a 500rwhp you will still have huge losses on lower hp cars. Hell I went from 375rwhp with a hooker catback to 369rwhp to 3" true duals with spiral flows.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

All valid points. I admit that Auger insert looks like crap, and I do believe the Borlamouth is the best bet, therefore i am going to go with the XR-1, I will most def have sounds clips
Old 06-25-2011, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have thought about trying these out before....
http://www.jegs.com/i/Car-Chemistry/...oductId=744688
Old 06-26-2011, 04:07 AM
TECH Junkie

This is why im glad I have shorties...That and my car is too low for LTs
Old 06-26-2011, 04:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Powerflo conversion..., there was one for 250 in the classifieds
Old 06-26-2011, 11:13 AM
On The Tree

It's not limited to high horsepower cars. If you lose 50+rwhp in a 500rwhp you will still have huge losses on lower hp cars. Hell I went from 375rwhp with a hooker catback to 369rwhp to 3" true duals with spiral flows.
Really? 50hp sounds way too much. You don't gain 50hp from dropping the factory cats and muffler on a 450hp car. So for it to go in reverse for a much larger, more open muffler design seems hard to swallow. I think people are changing out resonators that cause nearly no back pressure to a muffler that gives outrageous amount of backpressure and thinking they lost power.

Only way I could see that claim plausible is on a big cube super high compression(13+) collector only drag car losing it around the 7500+ rpm mark.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Flowmaster merge, 4" dynomax bullet, no rasp, stupid loud.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...low-ugh-2.html

Heres an old thread about Spiral flows.

Ive actually ran some before. I was running pacesetter longtubes with 2.5" true duals feeding into spiral flows. Very small cam and the heads were shaved way down. No cross over. I hated the sound when cruising but they were by far my favorite sounding muffler at WOT. I think if I had an x or H they would have sounded better down low. I switched to Flowmaster one chambers and didnt notice anything different on the butt dyno. The flowmasters sounded way better cruising and idling but were very raspy up top. If I had to choose between the two it would be a coin toss. I may lean towards the one chambers just because people are complaining about losing power with the morosos.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:01 PM
11 Second Club

Very free flowing muffler.

Inside a 2otl...

My magnaflow merge

Old 06-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Village Troll

Received 543 Likes on 392 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

About the only thing worth crap on the 4th gen SLP cars was the exhaust.

I'm still waiting for my "BAW GAWD! SS OWNERZ ASSOCIATION!" jacket.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS RRR
About the only thing worth crap on the 4th gen SLP cars was the exhaust.
Their lids are some of the best fitting and built ones too.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

Very free flowing muffler.

Inside a 2otl...

My magnaflow merge

Dude, that magnaflow merge is GORGEOUS! !

The spiral flow is alot more free flowing than its given credit for. The totl muffler has the same size through tubing as the 'flows but without the extra space for moving around the spiral baffles. Instead it uses two through tubes to achieve its flow nimbers. Also you can't judge a mufflers performance by the way that it looks from the inlet. Heck 1 chamber flowmasters look like you are hitting a brick wall, but they still flow well enough that alot of big power cars can run them without negative effect. I would be willing to bet that if you took all of the big name mufflers/resonators on the market that all of them would flow within 10% of each other.

For 99% of the "performance " cars on the street any reputable brand muffler will meet and exceed their need for flow. If more people took the time to build an exhaust to suit their needs for their particular setup instead of the flavor of the week you would find alit more satisfied car enthusiasts with their cars sound and performance.

Quick Reply: Quieting down LM1 Exhaust, Auger Muffler Insert