LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

gmpp head bolt history?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 07:17 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Bolts/studs will leak if you use the wrong thread sealant. Do NOT use a thread sealer with a moly or Teflon lube-it can wash away. Use a sticky goopy gasket sealant without any type of lubricant in it.

I respectfully disagree about using studs in a block honed with bolts. The resultant tug on the deck, clamping force on the head and cylinder distortion will be identical.

It makes no difference to block distortion as to which was used to hone then assemble the engine.

Studs are a better fastening method because you're using fine threads on a nut with the block end of the stud fully engaged in the block rather than a course thread bolt not fully engaged. Your torquing measurements will be more accurate.

Last edited by Paul Bell; 06-30-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

While I agree with studs being superior in most aspects, for 99.9% of the builds on this forum they are overkill and add a degree of complexity most people don't understand.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:47 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Agreed, they are overkill for most applications.

I however, will use them at every opportunity.

A disclaimer: Coating head bolts/studs with sealant pertains to fasteners that are going to be exposed to coolant such as in small/big block Chevy engines. Head bolts for LS engines MUST BE DRY as should be the blind hole they thread into. Any amount of liquids of any type will in all likelihood result in a terminally cracked engine block and epic failure/head banging on the nearest wall.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:55 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
Head studs are prone to coolant leaks, watch out.
Annoyingly yes.

Originally Posted by diablizzard
wouldn't I just put thread sealer on them?
Red loctite.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:57 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Incorrect. Red locktite will not seal boiling fluids.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/15073701-post6.html
Old 06-30-2011, 10:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem. I bought a set and was trying to torque them down, and they would just turn. I found out they are 2 thousands of a inch smaller in diameter, then the head bolts that came out of my car. I kinda wrote it off, but if you and I contact gmpartsdirect, maybe they will see it is a problem on their part, and refund us our money. I only did one side, and did not even torque 3 bolts. Just let me know if you are interested in perusing this.

tia

andy schuck
Old 07-01-2011, 07:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by andysc
I had the same problem. I bought a set and was trying to torque them down, and they would just turn. I found out they are 2 thousands of a inch smaller in diameter, then the head bolts that came out of my car. I kinda wrote it off, but if you and I contact gmpartsdirect, maybe they will see it is a problem on their part, and refund us our money. I only did one side, and did not even torque 3 bolts. Just let me know if you are interested in perusing this.

tia

andy schuck
If they were like the bolts in Gizmo's pic, they are TTY and not meant to be tightened with straight torque.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they're obviously the wrong product for the job if they're tty. they shouldn't even be for sale for the sbc or LT1

Andy, how should we go about persuing ther problem?

Last edited by diablizzard; 07-01-2011 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

How thick are you people. As has been covered the later LT1s came with TTY bolts.

My own speculation is that GMPP probably then went back and superseded the old part numbers as is commonly done when they make minor changes to parts.

Quick Reply: gmpp head bolt history?