LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Thinking about getting an LT1 f-body

Old 07-02-2011, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about getting an LT1 f-body

Well my name is dominic, im 19 and im looking to get into my second car. My first car was an 87 monte carlo ss, did alot of suspension work, 350 crate motor, did all the bodywork. I thought i would keep that car forever, or atleast out of college. But now things are different, complications with the engine, and the constant upkeep, not to mention poor gas mileage, leaky t-tops and crappy a/c has got me wanting something newer.

Ill be very honest i never liked these pencil-shaped cars of the 1993-2002 f body. I liked my g body because of its full looks and an actual backseat a full size person could be comfortable in. But like the gbody this car has great value, i get FI, good a/c, more moderized suspension 275hp stock (no need to drop in something bigger). But yeah, what im getting at is, how easy are these cars to work on? The engine is shoved under the dashboard from what i can see. What are things to look for? I know optispark is a common problem from hitting puddles or a leaky waterpump. But what else? Also how reliable are these things, would picking one up with 100k be a nighmare? Im looking for a4 or m6, doesnt matter. Also my dad is a certified GM mastertech with over 30yrs experience so im not stuck up a river with no paddle, but id like to start doing things without his supervision, and only have to call on him for serious repairs.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:56 PM
TECH Regular

from what I heard there pretty invincible engines, I personally wish I got a m6 , yea there is opti problems and the only other thing I can think of is the 10bolt is kind flemsy and these guys usually recommend changing out when u do heavy modding. other than that for more detailed problems the more exp guys will have to tell u.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

Don't. Buy an LS1. I wish I had, but I liked the look of the LT1's better, What I should have done is bought a 98 and swapped front ends. I've replaced the Opti 4 times, each window motor twice, rear main seal leak, rear end leak. I've owned the car for 10 years. Its only run about half that time.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

19... depending on how much you know about workin on cars I'd say jump on one. But remember these cars are old, very old, so that means normal repairs, water pumps, rotors, calipers, seals, on and on don't be afraid of one with over 100k miles. just go in with the understanding that you'll be doing normal repairs as you'd be doing with any 15+ year old car and listen to the pros on here. usually its the obvious and not some wild unknown problem that noone has seen as alot of threads seem to point to. dive in and enjoy.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Window motors and rear end leaks happen on ls1 cars to. I've replaced 1 opti due to false diagnosis. I've owned 4 lt1 cars and didn't have opti problems from any of them. Most of my problems have been caused by myself.

Lt1s are pretty dependable IF you can find one that hasn't been neglected and beat to death. They aren't too hard to work on. 100k miles is just getting broke in. May have to change the clutch and do some basic maintenance though.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by OmniRex
Don't. Buy an LS1. I wish I had, but I liked the look of the LT1's better, What I should have done is bought a 98 and swapped front ends. I've replaced the Opti 4 times, each window motor twice, rear main seal leak, rear end leak. I've owned the car for 10 years. Its only run about half that time.
Lol. You have no idea what you're talking about. Most of what you say has nothing to do with an lt1, and 4 optis?! You must be one of those guys that blames a flat tire on the opti.

Op don't get an lt1. You'll have to buy tires and change the oil regularly. You want an ls1. Trust me. They don't require repair. Ever. Actually no car beyond the lt1 does. It's that damn opti.

I had a windshield wiper go bad once. Changed the opti and was back on the road in no time.

The next day though, I needed gas cause I was on E. God damn lt1/opti.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

i know alot, i always do my research with repairs or upgrading stuff. Ive done basic stuff like carburetor tuning, adjusting valves, disc and drum brakes, basic suspension understanding. And of course putting in my motor. I wont be doing much extensive work, id like to do some maitenence first, eibach sportline springs, front a rear swaybars, bigger wheels. As far as modifying the engine, intake, lt4 stuff, definitly want to upgrade the opti to be a bit more weather resistant. But i wont be doing major work like headers and camshaft for a long time, headers on my monte sucked and thats with TONS of room and the best fit headers money could buy. Oh and i really dont have the cash for an ls1, i know they are better all around but its extremely hard to find one in my price range(6-8k), with no mods, and under 120k.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:39 PM
TECH Regular

cant we just make a opti shield to go around it and cover it ,lol
Old 07-02-2011, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LSWHO
Lol. You have no idea what you're talking about. Most of what you say has nothing to do with an lt1, and 4 optis?! You must be one of those guys that blames a flat tire on the opti.

Op don't get an lt1. You'll have to buy tires and change the oil regularly. You want an ls1. Trust me. They don't require repair. Ever. Actually no car beyond the lt1 does. It's that damn opti.

I had a windshield wiper go bad once. Changed the opti and was back on the road in no time.

The next day though, I needed gas cause I was on E. God damn lt1/opti.
I've owned my car for 10 years and 85,000 miles. Before it I owned a 94 v6 firebird. My buddy has 2 swapped third gens with LT1's and a Jeep pickup with an LT1, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Yes, 4 Optis with 107,000 miles. First was the stock one when at 55,000 miles the rotor grenaded. Second one was an advanced auto, within 10,000 miles it had a low res signal error. Third was the replacement advance auto. Car would stumble after it warmed up and stall. Checked out no spark. Now I'm on my fourth from Jason Cromer. The rear main seal is another LT1 issue.

LS1's are more reliable, cheaper to mod, have a good ignition system, are lighter and easier to work on.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bizerk1
cant we just make a opti shield to go around it and cover it ,lol
i guess thats a joke, i did a little bit of cruising around the forum to see if an aftermarket opti is nessecary.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by devildog214
i guess thats a joke, i did a little bit of cruising around the forum to see if an aftermarket opti is nessecary.
You're best bet is a 24x conversion of you want an LT1, but that runs 2000+. Might aswell just swap or buy an LS1.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

yeah 2 grand to get rid of the opti, idk about that. And like i said ive only got 6-8 grand to spend on a car, thats barely cutting it for a decent ls1. And id rather have money left over for repairs.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:00 AM
TECH Addict

You're best bet is a 24x conversion of you want an LT1, but that runs 2000+. Might aswell just swap or buy an LS1.
OP, Your best bet is don't listen to this nonsensical babble.

By the way I forgot to tell you guys, I got a hangnail last week. God damn opti.

Last edited by LSWHO; 07-03-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:07 AM
TECH Addict

I've owned my car for 10 years and 85,000 miles. Before it I owned a 94 v6 firebird. My buddy has 2 swapped third gens with LT1's and a Jeep pickup with an LT1, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Yes, 4 Optis with 107,000 miles. First was the stock one when at 55,000 miles the rotor grenaded. Second one was an advanced auto, within 10,000 miles it had a low res signal error. Third was the replacement advance auto. Car would stumble after it warmed up and stall. Checked out no spark. Now I'm on my fourth from Jason Cromer. The rear main seal is another LT1 issue.

LS1's are more reliable, cheaper to mod, have a good ignition system, are lighter and easier to work on.
It is overwhelmingly obvious that your experience does not beget knowledge.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LSWHO
OP, Your best bet is don't listen to this nonsensical babble.

By the way I forgot to tell you guys, I got a hangnail last week. God damn opti.
yeah i thought it was another joke, like a good noob i did a quick google search, yeah doesn't seem to justify the money. Yeah Im kinda lost with the newer technology the lt1 has, ive pretty much learned what Ive known from my 305 with a CC quadrajet and then when i did my 350 swap i had a edelbrock 600. Both were easy to learn on, but the qjet had a big more technology involved.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:23 AM
TECH Addict

No it's a cool mod, but nowhere near necessary for 99% of lt1s. This blue waffle **** acts like the lt1 PCM and opti are worthless. There's PLENTY of lt1s that work just fine on stock parts.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:25 AM
Teching In

My .02 is going for the lt1 if it has considerably less mileage. Instead of looking for any one "no repairs needed" engine, just go for the deal that has been the most obviously taken care of and not abused. I would rather pay for a babied lt1 than a ran to death ls1 any day. I just got a 97 lt1 vert m6 with 32k on it but I paid for it. There are deals out there, just look for more babied less modded ones. As far as common problems between the two, don't make it a deal breaker just be prepared and use as much preventative maintenance as possible.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:30 AM
TECH Regular

Just turned 120,000 miles and still on the original opti...

LS1 and LT1 fbodies have the same leaky 10-bolt pumpkins and the same underpowered window motors.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Corvus
My .02 is going for the lt1 if it has considerably less mileage. Instead of looking for any one "no repairs needed" engine, just go for the deal that has been the most obviously taken care of and not abused. I would rather pay for a babied lt1 than a ran to death ls1 any day. I just got a 97 lt1 vert m6 with 32k on it but I paid for it. There are deals out there, just look for more babied less modded ones. As far as common problems between the two, don't make it a deal breaker just be prepared and use as much preventative maintenance as possible.
exactly im looking for a near bone stock lt1, maybe some exhaust but thats it. Bought my monte with with 78k on it with just some flowmasters and the majority of the emissions removed, did the valve seals on it, replaced cracked radiator and it ran great for another 20k until i yanked it for a 350.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:57 AM
TECH Regular

i was kind of serious, if some1 did experimenting and fabricated like a little metal box around the opti,it mite make it work a little better with little vents on the bottom of the sides of box to air it out

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking about getting an LT1 f-body