LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How bad is it to drive at high RPM's all the time?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 05:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can we get someone to close down this thread? It's cluttering the site.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The problem with people who travel at those speeds is they never think about the consequences. They dont head the warning till its to late. Then after something happens they say they wish they had known. They are willing to risk their own lives but are they willing to risk others? they never really think about that.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:59 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you really feel the need to kill yourself, make sure there is no one else on the road. So the only thing that will happen when they sweep you from the pavement is our insurance premium will go up.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
You can't POSSIBLY be serious.
I hate to keep posting but id like for some people to look at the situation from both angles. Yes I am serious. No one has answer my question Im sitting hear feeling bad for hitting 150mph a few times. "Why does GM send there cars out to reach those speeds?" Id like to get a logical answer. PLEASE and BTW Ive been driving for 3 years and only have gotten 2 speeding tickets, lots of parking tickets, and no accidents. I drive 90% logically/granny not just to save gas but to not be an ******* and cause an accident. Trust me I learned my lesson the 1 week when I stepped into my first car and I though I was a hotshot and weaving in and out of traffic almost causing a wreck kinda like this IDIOT http://youtu.be/k2RCEqfbj64 From that point on I was scared to death and it hit me hard and got me thinking. Driving is a privilege and there are more people who dont drive. IDK what its going to take for you guys to understand. I certainly understand ever single of you guys. But your still acting like im a complete ignorant piece of ****. Thats what I get to confessing going 150mph. lol You people need to not worry so much about speed and think on what is even worse. Driving Impaired, road rage, Old 101 year old granny driving 30 under the speed limit. Now im revealing my true vulnerability and some of your guys are stone walling me. I rest my case now can we all grow up and understand both sides.

Last edited by 93Euphoria; 10-05-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

Redline at every shidt is only a reccomendation by the mabufacture
Old 10-06-2012, 07:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Euphoria
I "Why does GM send there cars out to reach those speeds?" Id like to get a logical answer. PLEASE.
This is just another example of your stupidity but you asked for a logical answer so here goes. GM does not send a standard LT1 F-body (which I am certain you have) out to reach those speeds and they would absolutely confirm this if asked. The only possible exception to the above would be doing it on a closed road course and only under the control or supervision of a professional driver but that would only represent a nano-spec of a percentage of drivers which would likely not include even you by their definition. You can even review in the owners manual of the car that GM strongly suggests that the vehicle be used only in accordance of the laws in the area where the car is to be driven.

FTR yes when I was younger and only on a handful of occasions, I drove well above 130MPH but at the least I knew even then, that it was utter senseless stupidity and I knew I was endangering myself and others but with that said, I would never EVER try to justify doing it. The fact that you are willing to bend over backwards and jump through flaming hoops to justify doing this is much more disturbing that the actual event IMHO and I think others on here would agree.

A more logical way to pose your question would have been "why does GM send there cars out that are capable of reaching those speeds" and I strongly believe that everyone here has enough common sense to know the answer to that question. There are also countless other products that have the ability to be used or even abused well above the manufacturers intent that could lead to negative consequences if they are not used properly and not given the respect that they ultimately require.

There is your logical answer. Done.

^typed on smart phone.

Last edited by wrd1972; 10-06-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:47 AM
Launching!

I.e. I've hit the 185 mark on my gsxr, was it smart? No, would I do it again? No, is it within suzukis manufacturer limitations? Hah no..

Bottom line is, we all get the itch to go fast and one day we all realize the stupidity and numerous risks involved. Unfortunately some learn the hard way
Old 07-04-2014, 11:27 PM
Self-Admitted Scammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I never saw more than the 2nd page of this thread. Just happened to see this come up on google after searching for something about blowers. Yeah, I still like to do this crap every now and then but most of the time I just drive below 2500rpm cause I don't like spending thousands of dollars at a clip fixing stuff. That mainly is the reason though. I only do the really high speeds at night usually, or only on a deserted road during the day. I gotta be honest, I don't really care if I'm risking my life -- everyone has an end and it could be tomorrow, could be 20 years from now and from anything. If a deer pulls out in front of me and I hit it doing 130mph and kill myself oh well.

Here's a clip driving the Vette at full tilt in the desert with a bunch of other like-minded fun people. We like to party, its what life is all about. Not everyone likes to "settle down" and get married and have kids just because that is what everyone thinks we should do.

Oh, and hey, my engine is still running great 3 years later! Every time I get in the car, pedal to the metal.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ls2pontiac
Wow, I never saw more than the 2nd page of this thread. Just happened to see this come up on google after searching ..............[/ame]
Wow two years later to tell a story no one cares about
Old 07-05-2014, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

This is the most ridiculous thread I've seen here honestly. Lock and archive before more stupid idiots try justifying going 100+ for extended periods of time. I can see taking it to a certain speed on a dry day and on a straight even surface with not a soul on the road for a sense of personal accomplishment once or twice in a lifetime, but the guy who started this stupid thread should be *censored*. They have the salt lake for that ****!
Old 07-07-2014, 07:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GhosT5
This is the most ridiculous thread I've seen here honestly.
That's impossible. Card0 has not even chimed in yet.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Sustained high load high rpm creates thermal and mechanical stresses that lower engine life expectancy. Ever wonder why a stock car engine needs new valve springs after a 500 mile race. Remember conductive vs convection heat transfer as it comes to everything, remember F=m*a and how that relates to the load on connecting rod bolts( at 6,000 rpm, a stock ls1 piston has to travel at a mean speed of 40 mph, but actual speed has to be faster because it has to stop every 3.62". The acceleration events at TDC & BDC are insane) as they have to keep everything together. Remember parts shed heat at the same rate, whether the engine is in a shop being spun by hand or in a chassis screaming at 8,000 rpm. It's safe to say parts won't meet the expected mean time between failures if they stay at maximum stress most of their life.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 93Euphoria
Alright you make a valid point. And I hope I didnt hurt your feelings. What I said was pretty ignorant but I stop bashing me for hitting 130 for a little bit. Its a thrill. Its better then hitting the pipe. What would kill more people? Doing heroin or livin life at 130mph? Excuse me of making an *** out of myself, but nothing wrong with doing stupid young kid ****. Im not a morman so accept the fact that a young driver is going to be doing things that are illegal! And most accidents happen under the influence. Going 130mph for alittle bit is one thing but doing that under the influence is a whole different story!!
I have no doubt in my mind that you hitting the pipe or shooting up is safer for everyone around you, than you being sober and driving 130mph.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What is this I don't even.....

Quick Reply: How bad is it to drive at high RPM's all the time?