LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Will it hold 25lbs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will it hold 25lbs?

Im going to be hitting the dyno next weekend and was wondering if you guys thought my junk would hold together at 25lbs.

Im running a 355 with splayed 4 bolt billet center mains, outers are 2 bolt, cola crank, eagle H beams 5.7 rods, Mahle -26cc 2618 pistons, LE3 heads, ARP head and main studs, Felpro head gasket. Ill be using either VP113 or C16and tuning with HPtuners on an EFI connection setup.

Im pretty sure itll hold 20lbs but will it hold 25?

Itll also be ran through an A2W with ice in the tank, should be a max of 80degree IAT's

Old 07-21-2011, 01:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im jealous of all the room a LT1 in a 3rd gen :/

25 pounds is a LOT of boost on a v8 I'd play it safe and do what within reason first seems like it will be putting out a lot of power even at 20 which is also a lot of boost
Old 07-21-2011, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The engine bay is decieving, you have to "make" that room, its hidden pretty well by alot of factory parts... Im going to start at 10 and work up from there. I will more than likely be running C16 to be as safe as possible. I dont "want" to blow it up but im not afraid to lean on it. If it cant make 800 and hold together then ill just have to get into an LSx...
Old 07-21-2011, 01:27 PM
Launching!

damn thats a clean *** engine, u scrub that thing with a toothbrush or something? let us how the hp number u make
Old 07-21-2011, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are those Felpro's a MLS gasket?

When starting to run over 20lbs of boost in about any application there are a few things to start to worry about. Head gaskets, head studs, piston ring lands, valve springs, and wrist pins.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nitrous2fast
Are those Felpro's a MLS gasket?

When starting to run over 20lbs of boost in about any application there are a few things to start to worry about. Head gaskets, head studs, piston ring lands, valve springs, and wrist pins.
The head gaskets sadly are not MLS.. when I built the motor (yes its been that long) I couldnt find an MLS for it. If/when it pushes water ill swap them out for the MLS's.

Heres a couple pics of the pistons... they arent the best pistons out there but ive been assured they should not be the weak point... who knows at this point tho....

Old 07-21-2011, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

Only one way to find out. I would hold it at 20 for a while an break it in and get used to it. It should be a fun ride. Is that a home made set-up?
Old 07-21-2011, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 3 pedal SS
Only one way to find out. I would hold it at 20 for a while an break it in and get used to it. It should be a fun ride. Is that a home made set-up?
Yup thats pretty much what im thinking. Im figuring 800hp is probably the limit the short block can handle So I guess whatever it takes to get there is what it will see lol. The entire car is hand built by me and my Tater Shack crew. There isnt a single stock piece left in it....
Old 07-21-2011, 03:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A lot of guys are having issues with Mahles, get the tune dialed in. I know the ringlands arent the best.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
A lot of guys are having issues with Mahles, get the tune dialed in. I know the ringlands arent the best.
What issues are they having and what piston?
Old 07-21-2011, 07:36 PM
FormerVendor

It will prolly push gaskets before it pops, Keep the timing conservative and throw more boost at it. Ls1 pcm?
Old 07-21-2011, 09:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man honestly unless your just wanting high dyno numbers you'll probly never encounter someone on the street that could hang with you if your at or around 20psi... much less put it to use on the highway... and I think at 20psi your going to pull the covers off alot of naked parts... that's alot of boost. hell just getting to 14psi is a big jump.no reason for lsx,You've long surpassed the advantages of one. hell put in a old 292 gm straight six and boost it to 30lbs... someday I'll do that in a second gen. good luck... Tune it at 20 and learn to drive it honestly you'll find a oak tree at 25psi
Old 07-21-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They go to the drag strip also... I know of a few cars around our area that would like to play with him a little.
Came along nice... You got a build thread on tnfbody?
Old 07-21-2011, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Holy **** man! Chain the heads down FTW!
Old 07-21-2011, 11:01 PM
TECH Regular

you seem to know ur stuff, but what is the fuel setup for that. Make sure you have enough fuel to feed that. are your internals all forged? What kind of valve covers that i like the c/f.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Honestly, I don't think you'll have any problems at 25psi. You're running good gas, run a cold non-projected plug and keep the timing low and you won't have any problems. If you break a piston or blow a headgasket at this level, the build or the rest of the tune is screwed up.

Anyone remember Sleeperz28? He had was getting 1000rwhp though his LT1 a decade ago. And the Speedinc, guy was also pushing big HP though his turbo LT1 miler a few years back.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tricked-Out-Toy
The engine bay is decieving, you have to "make" that room, its hidden pretty well by alot of factory parts... Im going to start at 10 and work up from there. I will more than likely be running C16 to be as safe as possible. I dont "want" to blow it up but im not afraid to lean on it. If it cant make 800 and hold together then ill just have to get into an LSx...
I made 722 RWHP on 14lbs so surely you should hit your mark with way less than 25lbs.....
Old 07-22-2011, 07:57 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

at that boost level you're taking alot of chances........
the pistons have a couple of spots to be concerened about possibly.....first the thickness of the head of the piston in the dish.....to thin will reduce its ability to dissapate heat and promote distortion and cracking.......also the top ring to piston top distance.....may blower pistons including diamond move the ring pakage down in order to increase this material space.....intern making the ring package must more strong and stable...........

also.......at 25lbs of boost the head studs and gaskets had better be absolutly perfect as well as the deck surface and the head mating surface.........

personally id be worried about the eagle rods at that horsepower level.......that thing should exceede 1000hp on that kind of boos and i dont see those rods holding up espically if you decide to rev it a bit........

also id run atleast C16 in it to prevent detonation......

one way or another you are taking a chance at that kind of boost...........

i know many of the things i mentioned there may seem like overkill but 25lbs of boost IS over kill lol

good luck !
Old 07-22-2011, 08:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
I made 722 RWHP on 14lbs so surely you should hit your mark with way less than 25lbs.....
Man if I could do with less than 20lbs I would be extremely happy. at this point tho Im really wondering what my weak point is.. Im thinking either the rods or the head gasket..

Originally Posted by 94FBIRD
Honestly, I don't think you'll have any problems at 25psi. You're running good gas, run a cold non-projected plug and keep the timing low and you won't have any problems. If you break a piston or blow a headgasket at this level, the build or the rest of the tune is screwed up.

Ya Im going to run a br8ef if its to cold Ill try a br7ef.

Anyone remember Sleeperz28? He had was getting 1000rwhp though his LT1 a decade ago. And the Speedinc, guy was also pushing big HP though his turbo LT1 miler a few years back.
I rememeber those guys but there hasnt been very many others to follow....

Originally Posted by bizerk1
you seem to know ur stuff, but what is the fuel setup for that. Make sure you have enough fuel to feed that. are your internals all forged? What kind of valve covers that i like the c/f.
The fuels is on the small side, dual intank walbros with a -8feed and -6 return. #80 injectors at 44PSI, C16... I plan on running at 58PSI and have a Boost referenced FPR. Yup forged and studded. They are slightly custom carbon fiber valve covers. the off the shelf version has holes in the top for breathers and oil fill. I had them make me a set with no holes and i added the breather holes on the rear.

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
Holy **** man! Chain the heads down FTW!
Lol If only you could weld aluminum to cast iron

Originally Posted by lemons12
They go to the drag strip also... I know of a few cars around our area that would like to play with him a little.
Came along nice... You got a build thread on tnfbody?
Dont worry if it stays together they will get there shot

Last edited by Tricked-Out-Toy; 07-22-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
at that boost level you're taking alot of chances........
the pistons have a couple of spots to be concerened about possibly.....first the thickness of the head of the piston in the dish.....to thin will reduce its ability to dissapate heat and promote distortion and cracking.......also the top ring to piston top distance.....may blower pistons including diamond move the ring pakage down in order to increase this material space.....intern making the ring package must more strong and stable...........

also.......at 25lbs of boost the head studs and gaskets had better be absolutly perfect as well as the deck surface and the head mating surface.........

personally id be worried about the eagle rods at that horsepower level.......that thing should exceede 1000hp on that kind of boos and i dont see those rods holding up espically if you decide to rev it a bit........

also id run atleast C16 in it to prevent detonation......

one way or another you are taking a chance at that kind of boost...........

i know many of the things i mentioned there may seem like overkill but 25lbs of boost IS over kill lol

good luck !
Nope everything you mentioned is exactly what Ive been thinking. The problem with my build is that its taken damn near 5 years to get this far and along the way goals have changed... I started out only wanting to make 600 so pieces and parts were bought/made that would work for that goal and then as it progressed goals changed so parts that I bought early on had to either be replaced or let em ride and hope for the best... Rods being one of them.. The rods are what limited me to the piston, since I decided to stay 5.7" the piston choices in 2618 are pretty weeak for off the shelf stuff.. so again if I had to do it again I would never have built the motor the way I did, but Im here so lets see what itll do..

Quick Reply: Will it hold 25lbs?