LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

5ABIVT almost Alive !! Few sneak peak pics of the Motor !! :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 08:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sof86
lol I hope that was in a good way !

Here's a quick mockup of the idea I had for a Hogan manifold. I could move the throttle body forward for some more volume etc too but don't think it helps the air flowing to the front cylinders like a low profile elbow. WIth the plenum volume being bigger it should help the cyls fighting for air at lower volume/rpm though.

Dont laugh !!

Old 07-28-2011, 08:16 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

not a bad idea.....id say just run a good elbow like i did but the hood clearance thing is an issue......
Old 07-28-2011, 08:37 AM
TECH Resident

yeah the hood clearance thing is what will ultimately hurt regardless of what I choose. I just wont change the stock hood i havent see a hood for a c4 I like besides a callaway hood but that's just as low at the manifold part. A larger plenum and a Svic would or should be better than an LT4 manifold though.. and will look oh so sexy !
Old 07-28-2011, 08:52 AM
TECH Resident

ALso placed an order for an ATI damper shell with Magnets inside it so I dont have to use a wheel on the front.

Sending the Mcleod twin disk back for a re-check on balance on the alum flywheel and for all new hardware. Old shoppe tossed every bolt and fastener into one bin and I have no idea what goes where to put this back together
Old 07-28-2011, 09:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
Why? It's a SBC with some architectural differences that do not preclude turning RPM.
I've just never seen it done before, the pics of the custom intake make sense though...I thought the stock manifold was limited to less than 600 hp NA...it certainly can't be helping a 8500 rpm monster!
Old 07-28-2011, 11:13 AM
TECH Resident

Here`s another idea i had to keep the profile low but give better distribution for the cylinders by having it come from both sides...

Think of an elbow splitting into 2 sides and coming back to the centre.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

Glad to see it coming together, Mike! I could hear the gears turning when we mentioned doing a throttle response oriented build. Curious to see how the LSFO works out. We run that firing order in other engines, but I do not recall one w/ the LT manifold. It was 252/258 .670" btw - nothing terribly big or aggressive; it needs to be enjoyable & drive well.

On manifolds, I would not waste $ on a super victor, fabricated, etc. The manifold needs to be done with the cylinder head, and you will likely end up spending several thousand for an aesthetic gain and a performance loss. Put a monoblade on it and take comfort knowing you already have a nearly ideal manifold for your application. If you really want to have an significant jump in performance, it'd be better to go the route previously discussed & simply have us provide a converted 12-18deg head & manifold. Of course then you're back to changing everything but the block, crank, and rods. Try and avoid 9k, it should survive a couple mishaps due to the RPM headroom we attempt to build in, but don't go there intentionally.

Thanks for sharing, it all looks great. Certainly one of the cleanest c4's we've ever seen. Good luck!

Originally Posted by ahritchie
Wow...I didn't know the LT platform was capable of turning 8500 rpms that's insane! It's cool to see a LT build going the path less taken. Just curious though, about how much more does a ultra high-end build like this cost compared to the $6-8K most spend on "cookie-cutter" strokers? $15-20K or more? Not that it's any of my business; I can't help but wonder.
8500rpm for a small block is average RPM (for race setups) & about as far as we'd normally go w/ a steel valve. The handful of 500-600rwhp long blocks we have provided have ended up at $18-23k depending on options like electronics, fuel system, etc. It is cheap and easy to make 400-450 or so, a little more expensive to get into the high 400's, and beyond the point of diminishing returns to attempt an honest 500+rwhp sae for most. That is of course doing it reliably with good longevity. Expensive, but fun.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:06 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah it definitely gets pricey I haven't even stopped to add up all the cost so far. Can't wait to hear it on the engine dyno and to get it in the car. I will definitely be putting up pics and vids and making new ones (the one I linked is years old).

I never liked Nascar as a kid but I'll admit I watched a ton of it. I used to just watch it waiting for the in car cams so i could hear the motors spin with the tv volume cranked to full. I knew nothing about motors back then. years later I realized they were still pushrod v-8s i was like man.. someday i'm gonna do that to my car.

Import guys always mock the 'no replacement for displacement' saying. All they ever did was have motors that rpm'd to make power from small displacements. Now I'm doing both

going to order my new plate soon..

8000 RPM
Old 08-01-2011, 09:54 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Nastyc4
Yeah it definitely gets pricey I haven't even stopped to add up all the cost so far.
Not advisable.

I never liked Nascar as a kid but I'll admit I watched a ton of it. I used to just watch it waiting for the in car cams so i could hear the motors spin with the tv volume cranked to full.
Check out Pro Stock, Super Stock, & some of the comp classes. There isn't much for factual/current info online, but 9-11krpm, high specific output, etc. is all you really need to know.

Import guys always mock the 'no replacement for displacement' saying.
It is as silly as the VVT etc. talking point. There is no replacement for money.

Hopefully it wont take a ton of work to get it sorted out so you can begin to identify restrictions etc. and refine the setup. Good luck!

-Phil
Old 08-01-2011, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I dont care what people say about the racing aspect of nascar. Turning left, boring, fun, awesome, i dont care about it at all. But those engines are super impressive, not saying other engines are crap out there in the racing world, but there really isnt a worse atmostphere and engine running conditions then a nascar race. F1 cars turn and brake and accelerate and shift. Nascar its just 3-4 hours of 9000rpm on sometimes a 120 degree or higher track. And thats just impressive to me.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

post up more pics of the car, makes me happy to own a C4.. now if only i put my lt1 in it..
Old 08-02-2011, 08:53 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is a nice project. I kind of skimmed, but with the expensive / lighweight rotating assembly why did you stop at 370ci?
Old 08-02-2011, 11:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by trilkb
I dont care what people say about the racing aspect of nascar. Turning left, boring, fun, awesome, i dont care about it at all. But those engines are super impressive, not saying other engines are crap out there in the racing world, but there really isnt a worse atmostphere and engine running conditions then a nascar race. F1 cars turn and brake and accelerate and shift. Nascar its just 3-4 hours of 9000rpm on sometimes a 120 degree or higher track. And thats just impressive to me.
thats pretty much exactly what i was trying to say. Mighty impressive engines indeed.

Originally Posted by jay7199
post up more pics of the car, makes me happy to own a C4.. now if only i put my lt1 in it..
ill put some up sure I can't wait to get it rolling now that i have a dslr and some practice taking shots.

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
That is a nice project. I kind of skimmed, but with the expensive / lighweight rotating assembly why did you stop at 370ci?
Few reasons. For one rpm is the expensive way to get air into an engine. Im not debating the fact that there is 'no replacement for dispacement'. What my goals were was to try and get it as rpm friendly as possible. In a nutshell i tried to do as much as possible to do all the things that are 'supposed' to be beneficial for a high rpm motor. Much is debated but I wanted to do it anyways.

Long rod (6.2) so better rod/stroke ratio and its benefits
smaller piston (lighter)
smaller journals (less friction)

here is a quote from an article that was the first thing that popped up when i just googled it:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Effects of Long Rods
Pro:
» Provides longer piston dwell time at & near TDC, which maintains a longer state of compression by keeping the chamber volume small. This has obvious benefits: better combustion, higher cylinder pressure after the first few degrees of rotation past TDC, and higher temperatures within the combustion chamber. This type of rod will produce very good mid to upper RPM torque.
» The longer rod will reduce friction within the engine, due to the reduced angle which will place less stress at the thrust surface of the piston during combustion. These rods work well with numerically high gear ratios and lighter vehicles.
» For the same total deck height, a longer rod will use a shorter (and therefore lighter) piston, and generally have a safer maximum RPM.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:23 PM
TECH Resident

here's a short vid out of many i quickly downloaded. Turn it up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV0hmVApsxQ

Quick Reply: 5ABIVT almost Alive !! Few sneak peak pics of the Motor !! :)