LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Neat CNC video.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ calm down if everyone agreed we wouldnt learn anything. I have a set of sbc TFS 195's converted to lt1 heads that have been decked to 58cc chambers and some bowl and chamber work by CFM can these still get a A.I. Cnc? Or do they have to be virgin casting to work?
Old 08-18-2011, 05:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Those people who don't have direct, first-hand experience with the products that Phil produces should simply shut the hell up.
Not one person in this thread has said a single negative comment to Phil or his business. Every single post from anyone who has posted in this thread has been positive praise to his company, himself for always sharing so much info, and taking the time out to share stuff like this. Public forums survive from people sharing comments and opinions - they wouldn't be very fun if everyone "shut the hell up" .

Originally Posted by Advanced Induction
I'll respond point by point...
Thanks for your reply - always a pleasure to read your posts.

1. Do you know how thick the deck of the OEM GM LT head is in various areas?
2. Do you know how thick the deck of your AFR's are in various areas?
3. If we just assume thicker is better, is there a corresponding trade off beyond the obvious weight issue? Cooling perhaps?
Being an SBC head, the cylinder deck is between .4 and .5. Aftermarket heads on blocks that will see a lot of boost are traditionally .750. My intentions are not to compare my AFRs to anything since they are a totally different product for a different market, but since you are asking they are .750. Overkill? Most likely, but when you are creating your own castings instead of improving someone elses, why not?

You'll have to forgive me, I don't follow - how are they weak? What is different about the aftermarket casting that alleviates the issue?
"Weak" exhaust port, in reference to performance, not physical strength. SBCs are notorious for their poor exhaust ports, and the LT1 - while a big step in the right direction - is no exception. This is probably the biggest difference in an aftermarket head. Sure, you can hog out an intake port chasing a cfm number (and probably LOSE performance), but you are a very knowledgeable person so I'm sure you know exactly how poor the exhaust ports are for a factory LT head. By changing the valve spacing, not only can larger valves be ran but the flow numbers pick up on both sides substantially.

Valve mass is an interesting discussion. People online have been (mis)led to believe that valve stem diameter somehow equates directly and proportionally to mass. That is not the case. For instance, many of the aftermarket 8mm stem LS valves are actually heavier than the OEM GM LT1 11/32" stem valves. The custom valves we designed for our CNC'd GM LT heads are not only lighter than many 8mm stem diameter valves, but lighter than the OEM LT1 valves as well.
What you should probably say is that this is not always the case. While almost nothing in life is 100% of the time true, you cannot disagree that 8mm valves are a benefit and give you more high end choices. Your heads themselves are not using 11/32" valves, so surely the stock valves can't be THAT great can they?

We have very many guys out there running 3/8" pushrods on our CNC'd GM heads, without added clearance. It is possible to put together combinations, and have core shift such that there is little to no clearance, but nothing that requires any real work to clearance. We have more machine work generating clearance for 3/8" pushrods in aftermarket heads than OEM GM LT heads.
Are those 3/8" PRs being used with shaftmounts and tall valves? That makes a huge difference, and on a long valve/big spring/shaft mount setup the pushrod will be about full inch longer then stock...necessitating not only stronger (maybe thicker) pushrods, but more clearance for the more aggressive pushrod angle.

I
No, they do not. Actually, they require significantly less work in many cases than aftermarket castings. Some of the most time consuming spring pad work is machining AFR's to clear larger springs.
Looking at a big solid roller spring next to a stocker I have a hard time imagining it not taking a ton of work to make fit. I have never cut a spring pocket myself though, so I'll take your word for it.
(Stock spring on right, SR spring w/ damper removed on left. Stock spring almost fits INSIDE of it )

We are talking about OEM 23deg heads vs. Aftermarket 23deg heads that must both utilize the same manifolds, headers, and valve train. Could you share a specific example of the limiting geometry of the OEM head, and what was done on an aftermarket 23deg head to improve that?
They do not need to always utilize the same valvetrain, and some huge performance can be reached with big runner heads using revised valve spacing that just need offset rockers.

The flow # claimed does not indicate potential performance. More importantly, it is the machine work applied to the casting that dictates performance potential since all of these castings are roughly similar insofar as layout and mating components go. So, an OEM casting as a base with vastly superior machine work, better components, far less weight, better port designs, and a much lower probability of fitment issues (it is after all an OEM GM part) is clearly the better value for the overwhelming majority building 400-500rwhp LT engines.
Flow numbers - especially manufacturer claimed ones - mean nothing for performance. Just like dyno numbers, there are a million things that can change the output, and stuff like milling a head can drop its measured flow while improving its real world performance. Sadly though, flow numbers are what we have to work with and is what is most used to compare.

An exceptionally well made OEM casting like your 200cc offering will wipe the floor with low quality chinese stuff and garbage heads like Edlebrocks and Patriots that don't even outperform stock LT4 stuff. My point is that their are other well made castings though, both OEM and aftermarket, and in some situations they may be a better match for a certain build.

When dealing with all the factors of a modest goal and talking about ease of install, reliability, and price:performance ratio there are not many things that can compete on the same level as your CNC castings.

(continued, too long post LOL...)
Old 08-18-2011, 05:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I realize that earlier you added the vague qualification "when talking about builds in that small percentage that should be looking for aftermarket heads." It seems the above quote defines that line as 400-425rwhp, or ~450-500hp flywheel. That is an interesting position to take, when we repatedly manage 100-150hp above these "limits" with the OEM castings. It isn't exactly a recent occurrance either.
This is just a mixup on either your part reading it or my part in typing it. What I said (or thought I said) was that those 400-450rwhp builds are exactly where ported stock castings shine, and those are the people who should and usually do look at companies like yours, LE, LPE, GTP, etc. The only people who should be looking at aftermarket heads are looking for "big" numbers from smallblocks, in the 600+hp range. Will that be possible with your ported stockers? Of course...but if you can make it easier on yourself, why not?

Insofar as "eliminating" the drawbacks of the "ancient" SBC head design is concerned, I'd refer first to the points above. Secondly, consider that you are actually asserting that designs that are far older than the OEM LT head have somehow eliminated "drawbacks" of their descendant - the OEM GM LT head. The aftermarket heads you mention are, in some cases, decades older designs than the GM LT head. The engine you're building is a great example - you would have a difficult time coming up with a more dated setup. While it may end up running OK, in the end, it is improbable that it will outperform what we do with boring regularity using the OEM GM LT head. Of course that stands to reason - the OEM head is not only a newer design, but had the SBC masters design it - GM themselves.
This is something that someone else may have taken offense to, but since you have no additional knowledge of myself or my engine besides whats in my signature, there is no reason to . What would be "dated" in my motor, my Supervic? It is proven to be many times better then the stock LT manifold which, sorry to say since I know how often you praise it, is trash. Plenum volume is virtually nonexistant, runners are much too small, the cylinders fight each other for air, and gains by swapping to a single plane on a 7500+ rpm SBC from an LT1 intake are huge. Nothing about my build is archaic or dated, and in fact most parts are modern designs or revisions - lifters, pushrods, shaftmounts, etc.

I can't say too much about an engine that has never been ran, but I don't see many stock headed cars besides Abare's 1-off piece making the same power it will.

Thanks for taking the time to clarify. I do understand you'll probably not like this, but the reality is that this serves as an excellent example of just how perilous taking advice from public forums can be. The overwhelming majority of assertions tend to be questionable, and in many cases 180deg opposed to reality like those above. If you answer my other Q's I'll try and take the time to respond to those as well. In the meantime, if you'd like to learn about the history of the head you are using, try and look up the now defunct Brownfield head company. I think it will be enlightening for head design era comparisons.
-Phil
Again, thank you for your time and sharing not only this video but all the information that you do Phil. It is rare to be able to have an intelligent debate these days with someone on the internet.

We may disagree on a point or two, but I have no ill will towards your products or especially your person. I suggest AI parts more then any other brand, since they cover such a large spectrum of builds...but I feel that they are not the be-all-end-all one size fits all cylinder head that some believe.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those people who don't have direct, first-hand experience with the products that Phil produces should simply shut the hell up.
This made me LOL a lil
Old 08-18-2011, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lmao ya i can see RamAir outside the A.I. building protecting it from intruders with a rusty old sword.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 904 Likes on 645 Posts

I can't believe this stayed civil. I'm happy it did. There's been a few comments thrown here and there but not many.

I like it.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:38 AM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dremel can't keep up with this stuff.

Good info, Phil.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 08-20-2011, 07:35 AM
On The Tree

Every time I see that guy, I am reminded of Ellwein. After a successful weekend dyno racing & playing with Aleks' red car down here we all went out and enjoyed a fair quantity of dos equis. Ron was kind enough to abstain & drive, karl was mellow, and the rest of us happily guzzled away after a good day at the track.
That was a great time.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well that was a little silly.

Quick Reply: Neat CNC video.