LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car overheating bad need help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 06:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car overheating bad need help!

So I was driving around with a friend of mine lastnight and all of a sudden my temp gauge shot all the way up and stayed pegged above 290 or whatever the highest number is. Luckily I was close to home and didn't have to drive far. When this happened it was too dark out to try and solve so I tried my luck this morning on the way to work (15min drive) and it did it again and even when I blast the heat the temp doesn't go down. I replaced water pump and thermostat around 300 miles ago. Any ideas would be helpful as this is my dd and I can't have it down for more than a few days
Old 08-17-2011, 07:10 AM
Teching In

i have had that problem to. I had air in my system. These reverse cooling flow systems can be tricky sometime. warm it up and crack open the two bleeder screws. One be4 the thermostat and the other one should be below it on a hose. If no air comes out and just hot antifreeze replace your thermostat with a 160 degree and install a manual switch for your fans. I did that and it runs great! Another problem i seen was people who install there water pumps forget to put the coupling on the shaft lol. Hope thats not your problem here!! Dont drive it at all if it reaches that high temp. I did and blew a head gasket on the next drive, hydrolocked my block and blew my starter up lol
Old 08-17-2011, 07:29 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

you shouldn't need to do that with the stat and fans............something is obviously wrong............either your thermostat froze closed which in case the motor will be overheated and the radiator will still be fairly cool...........or it is intern overheating due to an air issue..........

do not bleed the system hot this will not work........

when the vehicle is cold open the radiator cap and open the bleeder.........top the radiator off...........start the vehicle and hold at 1500rpm or so.......fill the radiator untill there is a steady stream of water comming out of the bleeder with no air......then close the bleeder and cap the radiator after topping off....THEN allow the car to come back down to idle............
Old 08-17-2011, 07:38 AM
Staging Lane

Ok I will give that a try for sure Cause my thoughts were towards the thermostat being stuck closed but I will try bleeding it for air but wouldn't it have done this much sooner if it were air in the system
Old 08-17-2011, 08:07 AM
TECH Resident

^ yes. So air is somehow getting in there or you have another problem. I'm assuming you checked your coolant level and for leaks? Ive had small... I mean small leaks around my hose clamps in the water pump and even the drain plug seeping.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:25 AM
Staging Lane

i recently had to replace part of the hose that goes from the heater core to water pump because there was a hole in it so maybe it got in there when i did that. the coolant level is good i even put more in lastnight when this problem started. i just got back from a 10 day vacation and it didnt overheat at all the week before i left but i will check for leaks as well when i get off work.

also quick95lt1 i just reread ur post and i do remember when i got to work this morning the engine was really hot but the radiator wasnt that bad

Last edited by slow96ss; 08-17-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coolant system parts are fairly inexpensive (pretty much everything but the water pump) so don't be afraid to throw a couple parts at it that it may not need. It will only ensure that you have parts in better condition under the hood.

Start with changing the thermostat. Also, change the sensor on the side of the driver's side head (this is for the gauge, just to make sure it's not JUST your gauge freaking out). Then go from there. Also, verify your fans are coming on. If the fans aren't coming on at all, good luck keeping that thing cool.
If you don't have fans, try running straight 12 volts off of the battery to the fan motors with test leads, to verify they work. if they do, change out the sensor on the front of the water pump and check/replace the fan relays.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:04 AM
Staging Lane

ya im not worried about price since i already replaced the water pump but i will check that sensor just to make sure and the fans. thanks for the help guys and i will post results
Old 08-17-2011, 06:01 PM
Staging Lane

Ok so I replaced the thermostat, the sensor on drivers side header, and bled te system and the overheating problem went away thanks for the suggestions they were much appreciated
Old 08-22-2011, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you got it figured out.

Quick Reply: Car overheating bad need help!