LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Back to thinking possible blown head gasket....

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 02:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back to thinking possible blown head gasket....

We all know the tell tale sign of white smoke means it blew. Now would it be constant white smoke? And start up? When the engine is cold or hot? Or is there no pattern to it. Reason I ask is today when i had my car on the ramps,(*** end up) and started it saw good amount of smoke for a minute. First time ever and haven't seen it since. I'm hoping maybe it was just from where my exhaust pipes have been welded and something was finishing burning off. It pressure tested the cooling system, no leaks. Oil seems alright.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would expect consent steam and dripping ..like mine WAS doing once it warmed up a little .. Mine was drivers rear cylinder
Old 08-25-2011, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How does the oil look?
Old 08-25-2011, 03:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jpack
How does the oil look?
I'll need to dump this current oil but it has looked okay.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it was doing it all the time i would be worried buy you said only for a min and have not seen it since. But who knows could be blown but dont sound like it yet. it will be a bunch of smoke if the coolant is entering the exhaust flow
Old 08-27-2011, 03:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 96TransAmboosted
If it was doing it all the time i would be worried buy you said only for a min and have not seen it since. But who knows could be blown but dont sound like it yet. it will be a bunch of smoke if the coolant is entering the exhaust flow
Alright thanks, kind of what i was thinking and wondering. Just hoping it stays periodic. It did do it again today at first start up... but not since or while reving it up. Maybe i'm going crazy. Just don't want something major to work/pay for on this.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

if it puffs some smoke on start up then its most likly valve seals bud.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:56 PM
TECH Regular

do you have any issues with low coolant or overheating?
Old 08-28-2011, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by food nd cars
do you have any issues with low coolant or overheating?
Well since you asked... the coolant level is also questionable. The past few times i've check the level has been down an inch or two into the radiator. Shbox actually pointed out to me my line from radiator to overflow may have a leak and not show up on the cooling system pressure test, which it past btw. Tomorrow hopefully i can replace that line and see if my coolant stays consistent.

No issues what so ever with over heating. at least according to the gauge...
Old 08-28-2011, 10:22 PM
TECH Regular

there is no reason that the coolant level should constantly be low in the radiator.. If the overflow tank has some coolant in there, the radiator should be near full all the time.. That is one of the symptoms that i had before my HG completely blew on me. Watch your temp like a hawk, my guess is that you have a minor HG leak and its only a matter of time before it becomes worse. I know its not what you want to hear, but i too had white smoke on rare occasions and low coolant. Then bam, overheating and then lots of white smoke, and then lots of water in the oil. Not saying its for sure a HG leak, but thats what it looks like to me.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:29 PM
TECH Resident

there is no reason that the coolant level should constantly be low in the radiator.. If the overflow tank has some coolant in there, the radiator should be near full all the time.. That is one of the symptoms that i had before my HG completely blew on me. Watch your temp like a hawk, my guess is that you have a minor HG leak and its only a matter of time before it becomes worse. I know its not what you want to hear, but i too had white smoke on rare occasions and low coolant. Then bam, overheating and then lots of white smoke, and then lots of water in the oil. Not saying its for sure a HG leak, but thats what it looks like to me.
Ughhhhhhh it may not be what i want to hear but thanks I know 'something' is up. I just have to keep my eye out. Any idea's on how much it'd cost to get a shop to properly diagnose the gasket? I know paying someone seems silly but it's at the point I wanna know what the hell is wrong. I've pressure tested my cooling system, failed first time, got a different tester past that time. Pulled plugs, none of them were clean like they were leaking coolant. If anything a few of them were alittle gunked up... I don't know what else to do. I'm limited on tools especially diagnosing something. I'm going to change the oil this week, If i see coolant come out first or it's like a milkshake confirmed right? Then it's going to a shop
Old 08-28-2011, 11:18 PM
TECH Regular

milk shake or irregular oil. Also when you pull the drain plug if there is water, water will come out before the oil.

You can change the HG yourself too. its not too bad of a job. just research and see if it feels like something you can do. The only part of a HG swap you cant do yourself is getting the heads checked and surfaced for flatness.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:24 PM
TECH Resident

milk shake or irregular oil. Also when you pull the drain plug if there is water, water will come out before the oil.

You can change the HG yourself too. its not too bad of a job. just research and see if it feels like something you can do. The only part of a HG swap you cant do yourself is getting the heads checked and surfaced for flatness.
Maybe Joe would help me out haha,
I should do it myself but my car would be down longer no question. Is it definite if your head gasket goes your heads get warped? Or more of a better safe than sorry thing? Good time for new heads right?

It could always still hold up for a long long time
Old 08-28-2011, 11:46 PM
TECH Regular

heads should always be checked for surface flatness when you take them off especially aluminum heads. If you were planning to do any heads and cam swaps, then now would be your best chance.. if that is in the budget. But for a HG swap, just purchase new HGs, heads bolts, and other gaskets you might need.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just blew a HG so I went and had my heads decked to insure the flatness and while you are doing that might as well have your valves ground I paid 300 for everything with new valve springs for a bigger cam

Quick Reply: Back to thinking possible blown head gasket....