LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 10:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Injector question, where do most of you guys shop for lt1 parts?

I called the local dealership and they priced me 281 per injector lol.......
Old 09-30-2011, 02:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

The classifieds/ or want to buy section here on LStech. would be a great start..I'm sure guys have some stockers in there tool sheds..
Old 09-30-2011, 03:25 PM
Staging Lane

Ppl on this forum rocks

Any advice for when I get it home tomorrow?

I was thinking of running seafoam through the gas to try to clean the injectors, maby they are just gummed, what about runnining some quickly through the oil then doing a total oil change?

Any other tips for a to-be-first time lt1 owner

(yes I'm pumped lol more excited when I got my stang hahaha)
Been wanting one of these cars for a while, and I'm finding parts a way waaay cheaper then parts for the stang, found a set of long tube headers for 100$ lol....... like jeez....
Old 09-30-2011, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd try some regular injector cleaner you put in your gas tank first...run a bottle for a few tanks of gas and see if it improves. I'd clean the MAF sensor too with some MAF cleaner. Synthetic oil made a noticeable reduction in friction (less engine braking) when I first put mobile 1 in my LT1.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:39 PM
TECH Addict

Oh, yea, you can get cleaned, flow matched injectors on ebay cheap. Hell, you can get a whole intake manifold, fuel rails, injectors for less than $150. Everybody and their brother sells used LT1 stuff now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LT1-I...item2567d9849d
Old 09-30-2011, 04:52 PM
Staging Lane

wow.. just.... wow.. thats insanly cheap compared to what im used to.

Right on thanks man.

May not be as bad as I was worried.. damn stealership.. 1800 just for injectors.. sheesh.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:01 PM
11 Second Club

I just went through chasing a higher rpm misfire - it was a toss up from coil wire not fully into the coil and a few questionable plug wires.

On the other hand, I ended the opti 'spark' problem from my equation with a used LTCC conversion kit.
Search: LTCC in this and the ignition sections.

look for obvious misfire problems first - plug wires, coil, plugs, the cap/ rotor or just install new opti at that time. Then do a fuel system check - pressure, injectors etc.

they are just normal cars with distributors and fuel pumps / regulators and injectors.

for 4 grand if you love the car you have room to repair a misfire is my feeling.
Congrats - these are alot of fun for the money, and go as fast as you can spend on them. even dead stock, tons of fun.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

post some pics of what you bought!
Old 10-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Staging Lane

I GOT HER!!!!!!!!!!

I'll post some pics tomorrow when she is all clean, first.. ahah story and question time.

First the good.

The paint is amazing, like show room amazing, not even a swirl mark, very impressed.

Tires and rims are amazing also, rubber is in awesome shape with some expensive skins.

Basically everything works(more on that later)

The headlights go up and down with zero issue

troofs are perfect.

In all a solid car so far..

Now the bad, questions hahahah!!

First off I ended up talking him down some more, so here is the issue list.

Both rear springs/shocks seem to make a lot of noise, squeaking? yet they seem to do their job.

The heat does not work, heating core disconnected for some reason he said? NO clue on this one.

The headlights.. um.. so I was in red deer and get in the car after shopping at Canadian tire and when I started the key they both shot up and turned on, cant lower them, yet if I stop the car they drop.... with the car off I can raise and lower them.. does this car have some sort of light sensor to raise the lights? If so.. its sooo getting removed lol!!

Interior.. semi good condition, I'm picky, But its blue so the first thing I will be doing is slowly getting the money and parts to do a total swap to a black/grey interior.. just me.. so that wasn't a "big" deal to me, same with the cloth seats.

Lights for the steering wheel, and door locks/windows don't work(don't light up) windows work awesome power locks... um barley if that but that can be fixed when I'm doing the interior

BTW don't assume I'm an expert I'm just listing what I WANT to do. I'm sure doing it will be a living nightmare for me..

Air intake.. um.. it's made of crushed piping that was taped together to an intake.. no holes I could see but it looks really restrictive, when I looked down the pipe id say the opening was maybe 25% if that what it would be if it was "stock" and uncrushed lol.. would that effect air/fuel ratio and how the engine handled?

Now onto the big one.

THE STUTTERING!!!

I don't know how else to describe it.. from 1000 to about 3000 the car will stutter.. it can get so bad that the car will shake and have no power.. if you get it over 3000 its okay but you can still tell its not running right, same with higher rpms.. I was told bad injector but I don't know so I wanted to ask here first to get advice on where to do with this.

Any other information on that problem I can give that would be helpful? It IS throwing a code but I don't know how to read the codes yet.

I WAS Going to start by changing the plugs to see if that mattered.. bought them and everything.. opened the hood.. and was like ARE YOU FN KIDDING ME!?!?!?!? So ya... that looks like hell.

Do these cars come stock with long tube headers? Looks like this one has them.

Oh.. and the brakes stutter a bit from higher speeds, but they are strong.

So.. opinions? Help? Any advice at all would be awesome.

Over all I'm VERY happy so far, guy dropped 1500 of the ask price for it and handed me the bills for it.. 7k into the paint 4200 into a new tranny and a bunch of other minor deals.

She handles very good, RESPONSIVE, steering feels heavy compared to my mustang and the wheel isn't "centered"

Must say it -really- puts my 07 mustang to shame on handling tho, I don't know how to describe it but it feels like it hugs the road.. the mustang always felt like it was fn skating off the road...

and wow are these cars low.. sheesh..

Over all, one happy man!!!!!!!!
Old 10-01-2011, 11:49 PM
Staging Lane

Just snagged a set of black carpets for the front and trunk plus a black carpet for the roof heheh this is addictive.. wow this is going to end up costing a lot lol!

Figured make the best use of the time its sitting now
Old 10-02-2011, 12:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds, like a bad opti. Def replace coil,wires and plugs as well.
Get used to being slow,sounds like just a stock lt1 with opti issues.get a real cai.tune if possible if start to add any more bolt, ons.
I got tto about an hour to remove/replace an opti. Wires and plugs. on a cold car.
Best thing I did was sell my lt1 and get a ls1 car. Never looked back, and my lt1 car was no slug either
Old 10-02-2011, 12:40 AM
Staging Lane

Ls1 cars around here are stuipid pricy for what you get The closest I could find was a 99 for 11 grand.. and it sure was not worth it. I do like the front and hood more so I will be swapping those in time.

As for fast, my goal is pretty much close to 400 on engine but honestly I have not looked into that much, ironically power is kind of comming second to getting her to look spot on first.

Thanks for the tip, I will do some reading into this opti tonight and the whole process of replacing them.

I looked at the write up for doing the plugs, sounds -utterly insane- I really dont even know where to start on the pass side...
Old 10-02-2011, 08:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lol, have no choice now. Gotta get it fixed,
Back in the day I use to remove/replace bad optis,wires,plugs and coil for 350$ just labor.
I wont do it for any amount now.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Old 10-02-2011, 09:36 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes post some pics, and I doubt it's an injector. It very well could be an opti, but take some time to at least check the plugs and see if they look ok. This step will take you 3 hours, lol.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:55 AM
Staging Lane

^ hahahahah fml.. hehehe

Pics comming today Just wanted to clean here up, it was to late last night, damn getting dark here around 6pm again grr winter.

I'm trying to put together a good opti guide from bits all over, I really want to do all the wrench time on my own car. I'm a car person, well always have been, so I need to start learning how to fix them myselves.

Checking the erg valve also, found a few posts last night on ls1lt1 where it was a clogged value causing it.. one with blown sensors.. one air leak near the intake... wires burnt off on the headers.. cracked boot for spark plug wires.. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*cries*
Old 10-02-2011, 10:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I have seen many LT1 cars burn up plug wires. Very common issue.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:38 PM
Staging Lane

Woohoo works has started. Got the new few weeks off so going to make the most of it.

So far the engine is a mess used a whole can of degreaser and carefully washed it off with nearly no water pressure.

First task was the maf. Omg. It was covered in dirt and oil im talking black. Spent a ton of time cleaning her all pretty

Question. I think she is backfiring? I took the rubber elbow. Of the intake off and there is oil and grime on the butterfly valves of the intake and inside it. CLeaned it the best i could nnot sure if that is good enough

Put it back together. Still running a tad off and backfired on about 80 percent throttle but its already better

MY next goal is to pull the plugs and hopefully somebody can give me some ideas from how they look

Did notice something. When it runs there is a noise. Its almost a pattern. Not there very quiet buzzing. Then a squeele. Like a lose belt but quieter. ALmost sounds electronic? It comes and goes.... Idea?

Thanks for all the help. This is going to be an awsome project

Now onto plugs. Grrrrr and that damn cai. I think you have to take it out from under the car
Old 10-02-2011, 11:27 PM
Staging Lane

Sigh ehehe(ya its that good)

Cleaned the maf, pulled the plugs on the drivers side and noticed they were all gapped to .06 and a tad.. blue? didnt do pass side have an idea how to get them from the top but its just an idea

regapped those to .05 and reinserted them.

Took her for a run, running way better this time so far no check lights still not running right but not a suprise at this point

however

blew the starter lmao

she will turn the engine a few times then disengage and just spin
took a lot of very quick key work but I got it started up

so onto start repairs
Old 10-03-2011, 03:26 AM
TECH Addict

congrats on ur purchase! quick question, does it throw any codes?? Also post pics!

Quick Reply: LT1 Advice please.