LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Advice please.

Good day all!!

So I'm looking at buying a 1995 trans-am lt1. The car itself is in awsome condition with a brand new paintjob and auto tranny, the deal is pretty sweet.

The issue is, the seller says the garage told him an injector is gummed or going, a 600$ repair, as a result the car misfire and stutters a lot.

My question is, since I'm really new to these cars, is that something you can just fix by replacing the injectors? Or could this by something much larger?

I would assume you could just pull out all 8 injectors in your backyard and swap in some brand new ones?

I called the local dealership but they have yet to get back to me on that or the price so I figured I would come here and ask some expert advice.

Thanks guys!!!
Old 09-29-2011, 02:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you can just swap out injectors if that's the problem. You could always pick up a set of good used injectors cheap. Make sure they prove to you it's an injector first. Could be something like the Opti and that can be expensive if you have to pay someone.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:13 PM
Staging Lane

How would you tell the difference? The way it was described as it happens more at high rpms.

Sorry new to these cars been doing all the reading I can this morning, I have an options between this car, 1995 auto black with troofs and a new tranny or a 94 green with a 6 speed manual but no troofs.... I think the 94 may but the slightly safer bet but the lack of troofs is a huge down side to me and everything I read about adding them.. well it just seems like its not worth it.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:26 PM
10 Second Club

That could mean a lot of different things, anywhere form opti to fuel related to as simple as a bad plug wire.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:36 PM
Staging Lane

Hmm
I may be taking a blind shot then.

Normally I would spend a lot more time looking into this, but the seller is letting the car go for easy under 4-5k what its worth because of a situation(or I'm a HUGE sucker ahahahhah)

Either way, been to long wanting one of these cars

Going to look into this "opti" and figure out what a cost of one of those are.

Thanks!!!!!
Old 09-29-2011, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

4-5k is what it sounds like it's worth if everything is ok. so are you getting it for free?
Old 09-29-2011, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

Okay I suck at estimating value?

LOL.

New paint job 3 months ago, new tranny and rebuilt engine with 500km on both, some sort of 3000$ "stereo"(sorry know nothing about stereos) two sets of feet(wheels) and (the part I like the best) he is including a painted ram air hood, front bumper and side quarter panels from a 2002 transam(had the parts but never did the swap)

he is asking 4000$ for it.

All I did was add the cost of all those things to what he is asking.

Always open to a few laughts at my expense
Old 09-29-2011, 02:46 PM
TECH Addict

Do not pay $600 for a bad injector! rip off! Yes you can easily do it yourself. more diagnosis needs to be done to prove anything. sounds like its just a guess at this point
Old 09-29-2011, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

Agreed.

When I looked up prices for a full set it didnt add up.

That is what the garage has told him. All I can think of is they were charging him the price of doing all of them plus labour but even that seems high.

Trying to figure an price for opti issues mabye he didnt have a clue as to what they were telling him.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:27 PM
Staging Lane

Honestly, it sounds like you might be getting in a little over your head. Like others have said it could be as simple as a plug wire or another opti on its way out.

Does he have reciepts for the work done to the engine and transmission?? What does he consider a "new transmission & rebuilt motor" to be?

I know that here in the DFW, I personally wouldnt pay more then $2000 for a LTx fbody car that has a misfire issue. Thats just my rough estimate without seeing it. Prices vary from location.. Hope i could help.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

Good advice.
I actually just talked him to and said I wanted it to goto a garage. Kind of worried about this being more then it seems.

I can always opt out and pay a bit more for the other car with the 6 speed, the only thing that bothers me is the lack of t-roofs.......

He is sending all the reciepts for the engine and tranny so I will see about that.

These cars a bit more where I live(alberta, canada) in fact finding any that are not beat to crap or a ton of money is -really- hard.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:12 PM
Launching!

I would have a shop check it out, confirm its an injector. Personally I think you would enjoy the 6 speed more in the long run. The t tops are great for a few months but after that it becomes not so big of a deal.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would suggest if you really want a ttop car and 6speed than keep looking. It's almost winter now, you're not going to get to drive it that much. you may regret getting the automatic if you really want the 6sp
Old 09-29-2011, 04:59 PM
Staging Lane

Agree with all the advice.

I looked into a t-top conversion.. and a manual swap.. and I have to say I am way more "safe" doing the manual conversion down the road then the ttop one.

Pretty much have wanted one of these cars since I was 18 so unless the garage tells me that it holds the antichrist(and he wont work for me) I will probably go through with it.

Its actually sad to the point of funny, been trying to find one of these since I was so young.. ended up with a srt charger.. a magnum.. a viper... brand new mustang(still in driveway engine decided to um.. explode) but never what I really wanted lol!!!

Lifes wierd!
Old 09-29-2011, 05:04 PM
Staging Lane

I would like to know how the engine in the Mustang blew...

Just get a good inspection before you commit cash and make the same error I did.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:29 PM
Staging Lane

its a good story

I put in a 4.88 rear end, it had half spool, so it wouldnt total lock but it didnt act like a normal rear end.
Added custom intake, straight pipe exhast, new plugs, ignition and dyno tune.

She WAS a monster, I could line up with a srt-8 challenger and win every time without question.. the climb to 200 was insanly fast but so were the revs.

anyways.. I wont even bother to lie.. but after about 120k worth of abuse(hey I said I wouldnt lie) a wrist pin gave out and before I knew what was going on the engine was a write off.

when I cracked open the cover and removed the drive side cam it was covered in scratches, as where the holders for it in the cyl head, in addition the piston with the snapped wrist pin, all the walls were scratched to hell.

yes.. I know.. my fault... I'll admit
But it was worth it

and frankly... it was a good car and all but ive always wanted an fbody so this gives me an excuse

I've got a used 4.6 with 2500km on the way for the mustang, going to drop it in, check the tranny and rear then sell her off to some punk that wants to do what I did LOL!

Last edited by DamoclesX; 09-29-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

all your numbers are in KM,right
Old 09-29-2011, 06:15 PM
Staging Lane

Hahahahah ya km hehehehehe!!!
Old 09-29-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DamoclesX
Hahahahah ya km hehehehehe!!!
LMAO, I was gonna say, I want to see a video of your tac doing 200 with 4.88 gears lol, Theres your problem.lol
Old 09-29-2011, 08:59 PM
Staging Lane

I would say that is a good way to kill a engine. Much better than the slow terrible deaths cars like these generally suffer.

Quick Reply: LT1 Advice please.