LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help! Starter wont line up

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 01:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Starter wont line up

Help! lol

Okay after a lot of pain I got the older starter out and the new one in and hooked up.

This is the starter

4N1601 Part #
http://www.napacanada.com/en/PartsAc...rd.aspx#Detail

The problem is it wont line up.

The gear from the start when extended will NOT mech correctly, it is barly touching the flywheel gear, like less then 1/2 mm contact, just the very tip.
From what I can tell the two shim kits, only either lower the starter down, that would create less contact, or move it forward.. um help? I have zero idea what to do at this point....

Last edited by DamoclesX; 10-04-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Staging Lane

Okay i fixed it and she starts. However to do this i installed two washers on the drivers side bolt. The one towards the engine. to angle it enough. Opinions?
Old 10-04-2011, 10:49 PM
TECH Regular

My opinion is that that is not the correct starter for your LT1, and that your solution may ruin the new starter or loose some teeth off the flywheel eventually. Or both..

If you have an bellhousing inspection plate you can notice there is a hole, that would be for the starter arm housing which rests partially inside the bellhousing. The starter you have pictured, if that is indeed a replica of your new one does not have an extended starter arm housing, therefore the arm is hardly reaching the flywheel teeth.

Hope that makes sense. Just guessing that's your problem from the picture of the starter shown.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:52 PM
Staging Lane

Hmmmn. It could be.

The best way to describe it is if I extend it manually, it will "cover" the flywheel, but the teeth dont seem to line up perfectly, in addition it seems to get "caught" a bit and is a tad of a hassel to retract.

They said this is the right one for small block chevy.

wow im going to fn snap if I have to pull this out and get a different one....... that was HELL....
Old 10-04-2011, 11:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It says thats the part number for his vehicle. I would have gone with 4N5115, looks more like the LT1 starter.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:13 PM
Staging Lane

Ya I'm worried a tad lol.

out of 15 starts it seemed to grind once..

grrrr... frustrating
Old 10-04-2011, 11:49 PM
TECH Regular

Not convinced its the right starter, and a regular sbc has many differences to an LT1. The starter is most likely one of them. Post what you find out!
Old 10-05-2011, 12:03 AM
Staging Lane

Okay, I'm not sure what to do at this point to be honest, I could tear it out and bring it down or see what happens.

Have to admit im a bit worried after what as been said here.

All I know is if I had not used those washers as shims on the drivers side bolt it wouldnt not have lined up period, without them there was no chance of it working....

grrrrr..... i will snap if they gave me the wrong type there parts ppl.. its there darn job!

Do you have any idea how hard that fn thing was to wrangle in with that huge brick front piece LOL
Old 10-05-2011, 12:40 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah sorry man but every one messes up sometimes. If like previously stated that IS listed as a starter for the LT1 then its not the parts peoples fault. There's the right starter and there is not. It's only a starter after all. Going through half of what you did should have triggered your manstincts to stop and bring the starter back or do more research.

Take it out, bring it back, and get the right starter. That's the logical option.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:49 AM
Staging Lane

Heheheheh
Manstincts thats awsome.. what are those again? I think they got beat out of my after it dropped on my eye for the 3rd time LMAO

Ya, ill drag it out tomorrow and see what they say, dont really need this going south on me got enough issues to worry about right now, cant even get it running right yet, as soon as she warms up, poof, massive chugging in the low rpms and if you dare high rpms you can hear missing or backfiring, and she seems to miss at idle(praying its not optispart)

Need to find a good code reader to get some sort of idea.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

You should not need to shim the starter at all. And having one side higher than the other with washers is not the best idea either. Maybe the starter was in the wrong box or something but I would be taking it off for sure
Old 10-05-2011, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just looking at the picture you posted. Maybe the "brick" is on the wrong way? Looks like it could be installed in multiple positions and result in different distance from flywheel.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

^

Never thought of that.

When I take it off tomorrow I will try to take the brick off.. but.. I dont see how that could work? Unless its not the same distance, dunno haveing trouble visualizing that but I hope your right, went back there today and it is the right part number, all they can do is order a stock one if this doesnt work.

only problem i see with that is that cutout in the side of it? if its not there the starter wont fit because it will hit.. some thing.. cant remember what it is some part of the engine lol

Quick Reply: Help! Starter wont line up