LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Turbo engine build questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo engine build questions

Ok well i am thinking about doing a full build for my turbo set up (motor wise) and am new to the engine building arena....

first off if i just do forged pistons and rods can i make a good bit of power? I will have h/c/i but will i need to do a forged crank to see real power gains? i hear diamond is good for pistons but what about rods? i think i wanna stay right in the 255 territory because it seems all the boosted lt1s are a low ci motor...

any adice on good parts/ good turbo cams/ bearings/ yadayada

thanks guys
Old 10-23-2011, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

All of these decisions are based on what kind of power you're looking to make. You can do low boost and just swap out pistons and call it a day.
The more power you want the more parts you're going to have to step up to.

There are a lot of build threads on here and in the forced induction area. It sounds like you need to do a good bit of reading so you can make an informed decision. You're not going to get a shake and bake recipe from a thread like this.
The other option is to drop the motor off at a reputable shop and have an open checkbook.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:59 PM
TECH Regular

stock crank can handle a fair amount of power

i kept the stock rods on my build, they can handle a fair amount of power as well, and i don't rev my motor very high. arp bolts are a must. if you plan to rev the motor high at all i'd recommend forged rods

i went with these pistons: http://www.jepistons.com/Products/279581.aspx

cam - custom, i wouldn't go any other way

head - i'm running le2's. it's up to you what you want to run
Old 10-23-2011, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I run a callies crank with forged rods and je pistons with a splayed cap. Le3 heads with factory ported intake and 58mm TB. 80lb injectors with duel walbro 255 pumps. Your also need to upgrade the transmission and rear end to hold the new added power. It took 2 1/2 years to put it all together and running. Tuning has been a hard feet to find someone who knows what they are really doing. Tons of time and money going FI but when done right its unlike any other power adder. I choose to go turbo myself and have loved it.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 96TransAmboosted
I run a callies crank with forged rods and je pistons with a splayed cap. Le3 heads with factory ported intake and 58mm TB. 80lb injectors with duel walbro 255 pumps. Your also need to upgrade the transmission and rear end to hold the new added power. It took 2 1/2 years to put it all together and running. Tuning has been a hard feet to find someone who knows what they are really doing. Tons of time and money going FI but when done right its unlike any other power adder. I choose to go turbo myself and have loved it.
thats the way it feeling with me... it took me along time to just get my kit working and the kinks out of it... but i did part together the kit and build it myself... feels pretty good to say that
Old 10-23-2011, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by v7guy
All of these decisions are based on what kind of power you're looking to make. You can do low boost and just swap out pistons and call it a day.
The more power you want the more parts you're going to have to step up to.

There are a lot of build threads on here and in the forced induction area. It sounds like you need to do a good bit of reading so you can make an informed decision. You're not going to get a shake and bake recipe from a thread like this.
The other option is to drop the motor off at a reputable shop and have an open checkbook.
well i have no idea what my motor is capable of but with pistons and rods would 600 to the wheels be good? i want to at least make that much... if its more than cool and if for a little more i can do a crank and run more power than i would do that too....

sorry this is not specific to what i want to do... nor am i looking for specific answers that i will be able to build my whole motor off this thread, im just see what it would take....
Old 10-23-2011, 09:09 PM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy this and you'll probably be set.
http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836629
Old 10-24-2011, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

looked at that already posted on a diff forum to him too lol

Quick Reply: Turbo engine build questions