LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New Shelby's going to be showing up at the strips

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 01:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 217 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by ahritchie
^ This....around these parts you're either a loyal die hard chevy/gm lover, who would only consider a Camaro/Corvette even if the Cobra had 1000hp; loyal die hard Ford fan who would only consider a mustang no matter how much faster a Vette is, or you don't count (ricers, mopar guys). Maybe it's something to do with Nascar being so big here but brand loyalty is ingrained from birth
Why does a banjo come to mind..lol..
Old 11-22-2011, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=SS RRR;15650830]Interesting. Still reads as if you think the ZL1 doesn't have anything to worry about because the Mustang is slower because it has more power, as in the new GT500 is doomed because any attempt made to harness its power is futile.
/QUOTE]

You didn't pay attention to what I said....the Cobra's main problem is lack of traction...not lack of power. Granted, Ford *may* have helped by adding launch control as is in the Camaro, but they foolishly stuck with pizza cutter (by supercar standards) 285mm rear tires which will go up in smoke in part due it's much worse weight distribution than the Camaro (Camaro is F/R 51/49 distribution) and the massive HP obviously. Unless Ford pulls some magic with the launch control I don't see it besting the sub 4.0 0-60 of the Camaro. I admit, all of this is bench racing and either of us can be proven wrong as soon as there is an official test of both cars on the same track same day.

Last edited by ahritchie; 11-22-2011 at 02:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-22-2011, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after the car is bought, any1 who puts money into the car will generally make the car go faster. that being said, once the new gt500's start running around with street slicks they will back up the power being put down. if things start breaking like the IRS they should have, or other parts, that just happens just like any other car. think about how many 4l60e's go out on our car, or clutches or our amazing 10 bolts. There's always weak links in cars and its our job to find out where they are =) the car is going to come out and stock may not be able to go incredibly fast due to traction, but thats a simple $400 fix.

hopefully chevy responds well to this with a twin turbo set up, but only time can tell.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RoidedSS
hopefully chevy responds well to this with a twin turbo set up, but only time can tell.
In my guess, GM will bump up the boost on the 638hp LS9 in the ZR1 to 700HP soon to compete with the new 700HP viper.....that would leave room for the ZL1 Camaro to have it's 638-650 HP rated LS9/LSA without stealing Corvette sales. Who thought a day would come when 580HP is not enough stock! Thanks Ford! Lol
Old 11-22-2011, 02:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
In 2011 the 5.0 is exactly what 4th gens guys wanted the 5th gen to be, similar weight to a 4th gen, a strong solid rear axle and a motor that responds incredibly to mods, yet they hate since it's a Mustang. If it was 1996, I am sure I would have bought a 4th gen as well, they were incredible performers for the dollar.
I 100% agree with you. The new Mustang is exactly what 4th gen owners wish the new Camaro was; live rear axle, light, fast, and responds well to mods. Ive always been a Chevy guy, but Ford didn't take a bailout, which counts in my eyes, and the new Mustang is wiping the floor with the new Camaro, the new Mustang GT and GT500 is everything us 4th gen owners wish the 5th gen Camaro was. From going to the track and having my bolton LT1 (mid 12s at 110) spank bolton Challengers and 5th gens, both of which rarely hit 12s, then me never beating a 5.0, Ford is headed in the right direction. Ive seen a brand new, down to the window sticker still on the window and stock tires 5.0 CS run 12.34 at 114. Chevy cant compete. The GT500 is going to whip the **** out of the ZL1 too with 100 more hp and 200lbs lighter. People need to stop being blind and finally admit Ford has made a better car than Chevy.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
Chevy cant compete. The GT500 is going to whip the **** out of the ZL1 too with 100 more hp and 200lbs lighter. People need to stop being blind and finally admit Ford has made a better car than Chevy.
It's far too early to be making all these conclusions as to which car is "better"....neither car is available or has been tested independently. As far a sales go, the Camaro is stomping the Mustang. Let's face it, as nice as the lower weight is, it's still the same boring looking car that's been around since 05' that every teenage girl and secretary drives. The camaro actually looks good, which counts for a lot obviously, since it sells better than the new mustang even with it's fancy new 5.0. To say "Chevy can't compete" is just ignorant.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ford's "credit" side took a 16 billion "paper" paper bail-out from the gov't.

I like all the new offerings, but with 3 kids, college to pay for for them and a mortgage, I can't afford anything past the family cruiser and my 13 yo f-bod.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:55 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks are subjective, the Camaro is selling well, but whats going to happen in 2014 when the new Mustang comes out and the 5th gen is well in to it's production run? I bet the Mustang begins to out sell the 5th gen. The 5th gen is selling well, first time a Camaro has put up numbers over a Mustang since the third gen era.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

Looks are subjective, the Camaro is selling well, but whats going to happen in 2014 when the new Mustang comes out and the 5th gen is well in to it's production run? I bet the Mustang begins to out sell the 5th gen. The 5th gen is selling well, first time a Camaro has put up numbers over a Mustang since the third gen era.
6th gen Camaro will be out in 2015 ready just in time as it starts to age more....it will be MUCH lighter and will be ready to truly compete size/weight wise with the Mustang.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

It is kind of Ironic that ever time the mustang seems to out perform the camaro the camaro sells better lol.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jaycenk
It is kind of Ironic that ever time the mustang seems to out perform the camaro the camaro sells better lol.
same can be said about the mustang selling better and the camaro out performing... what a paradox.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:33 PM
11 Second Club

it's a constant battle for weight, luxury and power. just because of the few here on tech or other boards would take a stripped down car with a **** ton of power doesnt mean anything. the overall concern is the general public. if you can have power, looks and luxury, its going to sell. the camaro nailed it with the 5th gen. I would much rather the car have no options , be 3200lbs and run low tens factory. but the reality is 89% of the people want what gm is selling.
as far as buying a ford. the only car that i believe is worth the money in along time that ford has sold is the 03-04 cobra.
the new mustangs are fine when they price them in a mag. but go to a dealer, the mark up was unreal. when the new 500's first came out (mustang) I saw one in texas for 85k. thats retarted.
personally id like to have a/c and a option between auto and manuel trans. turbo a small block and run with it. thats the new camaro i want. and give us a good rear end.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:15 PM
TECH Resident

[QUOTE.
the new mustangs are fine when they price them in a mag. but go to a dealer, the mark up was unreal. when the new 500's first came out (mustang) I saw one in texas for 85k. thats retarted.
[/QUOTE]

There is a dealer here, Watson Chevrolet that had a Camaro 2SS convertible they wanted $80K for it. Talk about retarded. Right now they are "blowing them out" for $43K.

Al 2002 Z28
Old 11-22-2011, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

Yea the prices have been insain but then again we went 8 years with a lack of variety in the American V8 sports coupe market. Now it seems we are flooded again and that should be a real good sign that the prices will fall a bit. I see RT challengers that were 32k to 36k 2 years ago now in the 28k to 32k range. So they are slowly coming down a tad.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

You didn't pay attention to what I said...
I got everything you said. You say the ZL1 doesn't have a thing to worry about because the Ford is not quick enough because it has too much power. I am repeating exactly what you are stating yet the only way it makes sense to you is if it comes from you.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 217 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
On stock tires maybe in a straight line. Then again the gt500 will wax it in every other category and the motor wont blow up on a monthly basis.
Still waiting on you to explain yourself, princess..
Old 11-23-2011, 01:09 AM
TECH Resident

It's a shame Ford dumped the IRS setup they had in the old Cobra Mustang.

Al
Old 11-23-2011, 07:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SS RRR
I got everything you said. You say the ZL1 doesn't have a thing to worry about because the Ford is not quick enough because it has too much power. I am repeating exactly what you are stating yet the only way it makes sense to you is if it comes from you.
I agree with , traction limited performance. I few years back CD did a test of the "American 500" The three cars were the Mustang, Viper and Zo6 all with 500 or more Hp. The Mustand got waxed in every category but price and if I remember correctly had the most HP.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Wow...you still don't get it. What I was tying to say is the mustang cannot utilize it's huge horsepower properly with the current tire/suspension setup...why is the 440 hp 5.0 Boss FASTER (0-60 4.0 12.3 1/4) than the current 550hp GT500 (0-60 4.1 12.4 1/4) Gee I wonder? (superior weight distribution) Why does the 750 hp Supersnake only run 12.0 with 200!?! more HP than stock? Throwing more horsepower does not solve the inherent problem.... traction issues...the Camaro's chassis/tires does not suffer these problems nearly as badly...what's so hard to get about this?
Old 11-23-2011, 09:23 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by the_merv
Still waiting on you to explain yourself, princess..
Why so defensive?
Wow...you still don't get it. What I was tying to say is the mustang cannot utilize it's huge horsepower properly with the current tire/suspension setup...why is the 440 hp 5.0 Boss FASTER (0-60 4.0 12.3 1/4) than the current 550hp GT500 (0-60 4.1 12.4 1/4) Gee I wonder? (superior weight distribution) Why does the 750 hp Supersnake only run 12.0 with 200!?! more HP than stock? Throwing more horsepower does not solve the inherent problem.... traction issues...the Camaro's chassis/tires does not suffer these problems nearly as badly...what's so hard to get about this?
I get it perfectly and no amount of smiley icons will help you illustrate your point any clearer. You are saying the Mustang is slower because it has more power and the ZL1 has not a thing to worry about because the Mustang has too much power. See?
The ZL-1 has nothing to worry about...
And you go on to say it's because the Mustang has too much power therefore it is not as quick.
... or am I still not getting it...

Quick Reply: New Shelby's going to be showing up at the strips